HELp Lite-On SOHW-812S SLOW recording

This burner is awfully slow, don’t know what is wrong but i think it is burning at 1x.
I have this Lite-On 8x burner and have the Sony DRU-510A
Both drives are on seperate IDE controllers (ATA133) connected with the correct 80 wires ribbon cables.
I’m running WinXP and Nero 6.
Burning a disc on the lite-on takes about 44 minutes, burning that same disc on the sony only takes 12 minutes.
I’ve tried the latest firmware on the lite-on (DR8US0F), even tried the hacked firmware, to burn 4x media at 8x, nothing in succes, it keeps on burning slow as a snail.
Both drives are listed as UDMA 2 in device manager.
Any ideas as what could be wrong, and how to fix it eventualy ?
I would be happy if the drive would burn at least at 4x
I’m using the folowing media :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-02]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [02]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Or :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

thanks in advance.

Please provide some info of your hardware, like MB, chipset, add-ons aso.
Chipset drivers?
Nero version6.?.?.?.
Firmware on 812…

BTW, do you get the same symptoms when changing positions of DVDRWs. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Please provide some info of your hardware, like MB, chipset, add-ons aso.
Chipset drivers?
Nero version6.?.?.?.
Firmware on 812…

BTW, do you get the same symptoms when changing positions of DVDRWs. :slight_smile: [/B]

MB = Gigabyte GA-7N400-L
Chipset = Nvidia nForce2
Sepparate IDE controller Promise Ultra 133TX2 with latest bios and drivers (but i got the same problem when the lite-on is connected to the mainboards onboard ide controller)
Nero 6.3.1.6
Firmware on 812S = 0F (the latest firmware from liteon’s site)
I’ve tried the liteon on several ide channels, dma is enabled.
Will try to hook it up on the channel where the sony is now, and wil leave the Sony disconnected.
Just reinstalled windows XP from scratch (on another partition of course) this won’t help neither…
I think this liteon dvd writer sucks.
Will do a few more test but i’m seriously thinking of selling it again.

Sepparate IDE controller Promise Ultra 133TX2 with latest bios and

you cannot use Promise cards for any optical drives, they are locked in PIO mode at all times. Use Promise cards for HD only and use onboard controller for optical drives.
Your problem is almost certainly due to running in PIO mode. Don’t blame the burner for inadequate hardware setup.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
you cannot use Promise cards for any optical drives, they are locked in PIO mode at all times. Use Promise cards for HD only and use onboard controller for optical drives.
Your problem is almost certainly due to running in PIO mode. Don’t blame the burner for inadequate hardware setup.

Ok, thanks for this tip BUT, the same problem exist when connecting the Lite-On to the onboard controller, either master or slave and as the only device… still needs over 40 minutes to burn 3.28GB to a disc :frowning:

Will do the test with only the lite-on connected, will leave the Sony disconnected.

It’s impossible for the LiteOn to burn slower than 2x, so in order to see 45 min burn times you have to be getting multiple buffer under-runs. PIO mode on the burner or HD is the most like reason. Simply watching a real-time display in Nero should answer those questions.

It’s impossible for the LiteOn to burn slower than 2x, so in order to see 45 min burn times you have to be getting multiple buffer under-runs. PIO mode on the burner or HD is the most like reason. Simply watching a real-time display in Nero should answer those questions.

I can garantuee that there are NO buffer underruns, i AM watching a real time display in nero.
And concerning the Promise controller, it is NOT locked to pio, it is UDMA mode 2 for the writer and UDMA mode 4 for my pioneer dvd-reader, so it’s definately not pio mode.
I will hookup my Sony to the promise controller and burn the same disc, then i’ll know if it’s a problem with the promise controller.

I’ll keep you posted.

Originally posted by shekke
[B]I can garantuee that there are NO buffer underruns, i AM watching a real time display in nero.
And concerning the Promise controller, it is NOT locked to pio, it is UDMA mode 2 for the writer and UDMA mode 4 for my pioneer dvd-reader, so it’s definately not pio mode.
I will hookup my Sony to the promise controller and burn the same disc, then i’ll know if it’s a problem with the promise controller.

I’ll keep you posted. [/B]

I assure you the Promise card is locked in PIO, this issue is well documented here with a number of PCI cards. It will show UDMA and run in PIO. This is 100% certain.

As I said, it’s impossible for the LiteOn to burn slower than 2x, so there’s no way it can be doing so without buffer under-runs. You can somtimes get 2x burning in PIO, but no more. If your drive is set to 4x in Nero, it will run for a bit, then pause and downshift to 2x. Unless you have Nero set to show real-time speed, you will have no way of knowing what speed it’s actually running.

Nero Tip - show actual write speed

[B]I assure you the Promise card is locked in PIO, this issue is well documented here with a number of PCI cards. It will show UDMA and run in PIO. This is 100% certain.

As I said, it’s impossible for the LiteOn to burn slower than 2x, so there’s no way it can be doing so without buffer under-runs. You can somtimes get 2x burning in PIO, but no more. If your drive is set to 4x in Nero, it will run for a bit, then pause and downshift to 2x. Unless you have Nero set to show real-time speed, you will have no way of knowing what speed it’s actually running.

Nero Tip - show actual write speed [/B]

Thanks for this tip on Nero showing the actual speed, very handy.
and you are right, the promise controller reads UDMA2 but i think it’s locked to pio, because now my Sony has the same problem (takes ages to burn a dvd)
My pioneer is connected to the promise, do you think it wil rip dvd’s faster when connected to the onboard controller ?
Are there any controller cards out there, that DO support UDMA mode ?

Still can’t figure out why the lite-on is slow when connect together with the Sony on the same onboard controller, the Lite-on as master and the Sony as slave, burnig from hard drive (hd’s are connected to the other onboard controller)
Anyway, problem is somehow solved, if there are some pci controllers in existence that do support udma mode, i will throw out that promise and replace it.

Most non-RAID controlers based on SIL chip should work.
The best solution is to keep opticals on MB and HD’s on cards.

And yes, your ROM drive is ripping in PIO mode too. I’m surprised you don’t notice a system slowdown when ripping.

Arrrgh, I almost forgot THIS THREAD

[B]Most non-RAID controlers based on SIL chip should work.
The best solution is to keep opticals on MB and HD’s on cards.

And yes, your ROM drive is ripping in PIO mode too. I’m surprised you don’t notice a system slowdown when ripping. [/B]

Ok, will have to search for another card, based on that SIL chip then.
If i hookup my hd’s to the promise controller, will they suffer performance lost ?
Will the driveletters change ?
Because now my hard drives are running in udma mode, the maxtor 60GB is runnning UDMA5 and the Western digital 120GB is running UDMA6 (both are 7200 rpm drives)
Thanks for all te help, this is a great forum, with even greater people :slight_smile:

You should see modest improvements in HD performance on the Promise cards compared to MB controllers.

You should see modest improvements in HD performance on the Promise cards compared to MB controllers.

Improvements ??
Even if the controller is locked to pio mode ?
I thought that udma was faster then pio ?
Or is it different for hd’s ?

Improvements ??
Even if the controller is locked to pio mode ?
I thought that udma was faster then pio ?
Or is it different for hd’s ?

The controller is only in PIO for optical drives

The controller is only in PIO for optical drives

Ah, that’s why…
Very nice feature that nero can show the real burning speeds.
Just burned a disc with a firmware that i adjusted, now the Lite-On can burn my 4x +R media at 7.8x, even the -R media gets to 7.8x near the end (about halfway of the disc)

I’m glad that my problem is solved (thanks to you) and i’m very happy with that Lite-On (yep, that’s right, i take back my words that it thought that the lite-on sucks)

Another happy Lite-On owner.

To RDGRIMES,

I would like to thank you for clearing out some very important issues.
I didn’t know of the promise/pio problem for the optical devices.
Now i reconnected my hd’s and optical devices and everything is working fine.
Even the pioneer is ripping faster now and the system isn’t slowing down.
The hd’s are connected to the Promise controller (luckily the driveltters didn’t change) and the dvd devices are connected to the onboard ide controller.
One question though, the log files from nero reads DMA:OFF ??
In device manager the drives are :
Pioneer DVD-116 -> Primary slave Ultra DMA 4 - Ultra66
Lite-On SOHW-812S -> Secondary Master Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33
Sony DRU-510A -> Secondary Slave Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33

Do i have to change these modes to Multi word DMA ??

Thanks again for all the help.

[B]To RDGRIMES,

I would like to thank you for clearing out some very important issues.
I didn’t know of the promise/pio problem for the optical devices.
Now i reconnected my hd’s and optical devices and everything is working fine.
Even the pioneer is ripping faster now and the system isn’t slowing down.
The hd’s are connected to the Promise controller (luckily the driveltters didn’t change) and the dvd devices are connected to the onboard ide controller.
One question though, the log files from nero reads DMA:OFF ??
In device manager the drives are :
Pioneer DVD-116 -> Primary slave Ultra DMA 4 - Ultra66
Lite-On SOHW-812S -> Secondary Master Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33
Sony DRU-510A -> Secondary Slave Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33

Do i have to change these modes to Multi word DMA ??

Thanks again for all the help. [/B]

UDMA is better than MW-DMA. As far as I know, Nero’s report isn’t always very accurate. It reports that all my slave devices are not on DMA when they really all are.

Originally posted by code65536
UDMA is better than MW-DMA. As far as I know, Nero’s report isn’t always very accurate. It reports that all my slave devices are not on DMA when they really all are.

Ok thnx, i’ll leave it the way it is then.