Help, LITE-ON SHM-165P6S suddenly stopped working!

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHM-165P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, I’m new to this forum so if i screw up,please have some mercy.

okay, so I’ve had my computer for around 2 years now and i’m rather fond of it, however recently it’s stopped working, only in windows. it opens and closes and the lights come on, but if you go into the BIOS under CD/DVD rom (for booting) it says that there isn’t one. it then gets weirder (and more annoying) because if i go into iTunes and select burn play list a box comes up where i can select all the write speeds and it says the name of my burner above it, but when i fill out all that iTunes says disc burner software not found. i tryed updating the firmware but it says i don’t have that kind of burner so i cant update it even though i know that that is the kind of burner i have.

seen as the thing wont work, it’s rather hard to do a clean install of windows :slight_smile:

thanks a ton in advance,
allex

It won’t work in Windows unless it’s recognized in BIOS. Make sure IDE cable is securely plugged in, and try another IDE cable if problems persist.

The SHM-165P6S is an External Drive (USB)

It’s not going to be in the bios so I would you need to check connections, maybe try on another PC and see if that recognizes it.

[QUOTE=Knoxy1001;2133951][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHM-165P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey, I’m new to this forum so if i screw up,please have some mercy.

okay, so I’ve had my computer for around 2 years now and i’m rather fond of it, however recently it’s stopped working, only in windows. it opens and closes and the lights come on, but if you go into the BIOS under CD/DVD rom (for booting) it says that there isn’t one. it then gets weirder (and more annoying) because if i go into iTunes and select burn play list a box comes up where i can select all the write speeds and it says the name of my burner above it, but when i fill out all that iTunes says disc burner software not found. i tryed updating the firmware but it says i don’t have that kind of burner so i cant update it even though i know that that is the kind of burner i have.

seen as the thing wont work, it’s rather hard to do a clean install of windows :slight_smile:

thanks a ton in advance,
allex[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=crespo;2134350]The SHM-165P6S is an External Drive (USB)
[/QUOTE]

I have the same drive, and it’s internal :slight_smile:

I got a SHM-165P6S that’s internal and another that’s external. Most drives can be either depending on whether installed internally or in an external enclosure. Also my external one is seen in BIOS.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2134642]I got a SHM-165P6S that’s internal and another that’s external. Most drives can be either depending on whether installed internally or in an external enclosure. [/QUOTE]

True - I have my (internal) Pioneer 115D in an external enclosure. Is yours an internal drive that you put into an enclosure?

As I was under the impression that the SHM-165P6S’s sold as external drives had a slightly different model number: SHM165P6SX. Not sure what model the BIOS or Windows would identify it as, though. :slight_smile:

Link to the external model on the LiteOn global site: 165P6SX :slight_smile:

[quote=Arachne;2134699]
As I was under the impression that the SHM-165P6S’s sold as external drives had a slightly different model number: [B]SHM165P6SX[/B]. Not sure what model the BIOS or Windows would identify it as, though. :)[/quote]There is absolutely no difference between the internal and the external version. Drive hardware and firmware are exactly the same, so they show up in device manager with the same name (apart from the additional “USB device” string, which is added by Windows).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2134741]There is absolutely no difference between the internal and the external version. Drive hardware and firmware are exactly the same, so they show up in device manager with the same name (apart from the additional “USB device” string, which is added by Windows).

Michael[/QUOTE]

I did wonder about that - thanks Michael :slight_smile:

Hehe, the OP hasn’t even told us how his particular drive is hooked up…perhaps we should wait and see if it’s internal or external :wink:

My SHM-165P6S was already in external enclosure when purchased from Office Depot on a closeout sale. I don’t recall actual model it was sold as, but it shows in BIOS and Windows as SHM-165P6S.

it’s internal, and i pushed all the cables in harder if that’s what you mean by checking the cables…

Maybe try a fresh cable? If that doesn’t help, is there any chance you can try the drive on another PC?