Help Interpreting SpeedTest Results

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m not any good at interpreting the results of these tests, but when I compare these results with others I’ve seen for this drive they don’t look all that good. After getting some feedback on whether I’ve done and am posting the right tests I’ll either redo these or post some for DVD+R.

General Information
Drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S
Firmware: 1.06
Disc: Data CD (Daxon)
Selected speed: Maximum
Recorder information
Write speed: 38 X
C1 errors
Maximum: 41
Average: 9.20
Total: 44119
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 2:30
Number of samples: 4794
Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
Glitches removed: 0

Why do some test results show PIE/PIF errors and others C1/C2?

CD-R/RW media is counted in C1 and C2 errors.
DVD R/RW media is counted in PIE and PIF errors.

Your scan above looks fine for a media scanned on this series of drive.

Thanks for your reply.

Was that a good choice of speed and screens to show?

Here are results from a DVD burn. I only have 8X disks right now so, until I used them up, that’s the best test I can do.

What’s the chance someone with a good reader would be interested in me mailing them the disks and doing a better Disk Quality test?

For the DVD+R burn:
You have some good discs [as long as they are genuine YUDEN000 T02 discs–it looks like they are], and your DVD burner isn’t the worst DVD scanner, so you can get some idea of your quality. Your burner paired with those discs should be a winner. Just note that because they’re “only” 8x discs does NOT mean that they are bad; YUDEN000 T02 is considered one of the best discs models of all and is consistently slightly better than its 16x counterpart [YUDEN000 T03].

For the CD-R burn:
Your Daxon CD-R are known as being OK discs; not the greatest, but being pretty good. With your particular burn, the disc quality scan is pretty acceptable, and the drive is a pretty good CD scanner and burner, as far as I know.

Try writing these CD-R at a more “reasonable” 32x, 24x, or 16x, and the scans might improve a bit for you. :slight_smile:

For both:
Also, the TRT of the discs are perfectly clean, with no drops/dips other than those imposed by the drive in all normal TRTs. This backs up the “good quality” reflected by the disc quality scans.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

[QUOTE=i_am_jim;2143616]What’s the chance someone with a good reader would be interested in me mailing them the disks and doing a better Disk Quality test?[/QUOTE]

if you really want to ill do it. :slight_smile: send me a pm and ill give you my address.

i have received the 2 dvds and 1 cd you have sent. i have bad and good news. okay bad news first.

the disc have been received in less than desirable condition. both of the dvds have many small scratches and marks from the shipping method used. both dvds were placed on one side of a disc sleeve thus allowing physical damage to both disc. the inner disc has many small markings from the sleeve itself. the outer disc has fewer small marks but one large damaged area near the outer edge.

i have attempted to photograph the large damaged area of the dvd. however i do not have a very good camera.

scans coming soon.

now the good news. even with all the small markings on the disc you can see that the scan is really good. ive provided two 4x scans of this disc.

1st scan is only upto 3100 mb, burn reaching about 14x. i wanted to provide this portion of the scan seperate so you can see just how good the results are before the damaged area. your burn speed was 16x on this disc and we have good results upto about 14x. and this is with 8x media.

[B]Label: 1st Test Burn Too Fast[/B]

General Information
 Drive: ATAPI   DVD A  DH20A4P  
 Firmware: 9P59
 Disc: DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02)
 Selected speed: 4 X
Recorder information
 Write speed: 16 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 7
 Average: 0.57
 Total: 7122
PI failures
 Maximum: 2
 Total: 88
PO failures: n/a
Jitter
 Maximum:  9.4 %
 Average: 8.52 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 11:06
 Number of samples: 86137
 Average scanning interval: 1.15 ECC

now the damaged area. its too bad this happened as im sure we would have seen excellent results. :frowning:

General Information
Recorder information
 Write speed: 16 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 20
 Average: 2.37
 Total: 14034
PI failures
 Maximum: 6
 Average: 0.08
 Total: 3767
Jitter
 Maximum: 10.2 %
 Average: 9.43 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 5:25
 Number of samples: 41116

now im going to show you a full scan done at 16x. i hope this will persuade you to properly handle and store your dvd media. :slight_smile:

when quality media is burned in a quality drive the 4x and 16x scans should provide similar results. this is a good reference for the Why high-speed scanning is good / Why high speed scanning is bad thread

even though the 16x scan shows lower PIF count the PIE count is outrageous.

edit: forgot to save the stats sorry

scans of dvd 2 coming soon

i think this could have been a very good scan if the disc were not damaged. :frowning:

4x scan.

General Information
Recorder information
 Write speed: 8 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 26
 Average: 1.50
 Total: 26871
PI failures
 Maximum: 11
 Average: 0.06
 Total: 8707
Jitter
 Maximum:  9.5 %
 Average: 8.21 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 15:54
 Number of samples: 124336

same disc as above :slight_smile:

this was the inside disc touching the sleeve. the entire disc is covered with small markings. several small deeper marks are present towards the outer area of the disc. :frowning:

[B]Label: 2nd test 8x burn[/B]

16x scan

General Information
 Selected speed: 16 X
Recorder information
 Write speed: 8 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 42
 Average: 2.45
 Total: 43888
PI failures
 Maximum: 7
 Average: 0.04
 Total: 6333
Jitter
 Maximum:  9.5 %
 Average: 8.24 %
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 6:23
 Number of samples: 105540
 Average scanning interval: 1.36 ECC

General Information
 Disc: Data CD (Daxon)
 Selected speed: 32 X
Recorder information
 Write speed: 38 X
C1 errors
 Maximum: 47
 Average: 1.33
 Total: 6380
C2 errors
 Maximum: 0
 Total: 0
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 3:28
 Number of samples: 4789
 Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec

Well, thanks for your effort. The results are discouraging.

[QUOTE=i_am_jim;2146312]Well, thanks for your effort. The results are [B][U]discouraging[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

:disagree::disagree:

Also you can ignore the cd-r test, since liteon dvd burners are the worst cd-r scanners.