Help Interpreting SpeedTest Results

vbimport

I’m about to start a project that’s important to me. The disks will be read on many different machines. My burner is a few years old and I’m trying to decide whether to replace it with a Pioneer 115 or 116D. Cost is not a consideration, but opening up my system is a minor one.

I’ve burned two disks and run the following tests with my current drive. But I don’t know how to interpret the results. The first test was burned at 8X, which is the rating of the media/disks, and tested at 8X. The second was burned at 16X (twice the disk rating), and tested at 8X. People make much of the PIE and PIF numbers. The numbers on both these tests are higher than the tests on the Pioneer drives in local threads. However the “Quality scores” on my tests are better than the Pioneer drives. And, the quality score on the one burned a 16X is better than the one burned at 8X :confused::confused:

If I have a slight grasp of what the plots mean (which is doubtful), they seem to say I should burn at 6X for the best results. But, maybe not, because though the PIEs are better at 6X, the PIFs appear to be better at 8X.

The question is whether it’s worth my while to install one of the Pioneer drives for this project. If not, should I burn at 6X or 8X?

The media is Fuji 8X

Here’s a good place to start… http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cdfreaks-presents-home-pi-pif-scanning-article-193873/

Which was found in this forum… http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/

You should read as much in there as possible.

Just for basic starters…

[ul][li]Most NEC drives are not good for scanning DVD media, as they are not consistent.[/li]
[li]No 2 consumer DVD drives scan alike, so you will get different results.[/li]
[li]Quality score is based on the max PIF. Depending on how a drive series scans, you can easily get a higher quality score with more errors than other drives.[/li]
[li]Right now, mainly BenQ, Plextor, LiteOn, and Samsung drives are good for scanning, and having any of the first 3 makes is good. Samsung drives can scan, but aren’t held as highly as the first three when it comes to scanning.[/li]
[li]For the drive you’re using [the NEC], a Transfer Rate Test is better, as it is pretty picky on sub-standard burns and will be a bit more useful than PIE/PIF scanning on that drive.[/li]
[li]General scanning says that you usually want a lower TOTAL number of errors, as long as the maximums are not too high. There is a point at which a super-high maximum [such as a spike] will result in an unreadable file at that spike. However, some drives may show phantom spikes or increases in errors that will not show up in playback or affect data recovery [which is the case for a lot of NEC drives].[/li]
[li]PIF [PI failures] are more serious than PIE [PI errors]. Every disc will have some of both, and drives’ error correction abilities are meant to compensate for this. You want as few PIF as possible.[/li]
[li]PIE and PIF are not the only factors of disc quality, but they are a start.[/ul][/li]
With that said, your scans are pretty good. General rule of thumb says to not overspeed, though. If you have to go by the results from the NEC, they match this rule, as you have more total errors at 16x than 8x, and the differences in PIE max. are great [with the 16x being worse], while the difference in PIF max. are not so great.

Thanks very much for your reply.

> General rule of thumb says to not overspeed, though

That was really an accident, caused by my unfamiliarity with the test software. But, since I’d done it I decided to include it with my confusions about the results

>For the drive you’re using [the NEC], a Transfer Rate Test is better

Here’s the transfer rate test. Given all this would you switch to the newer drive?

Looks fine to me. A good burn that should last a while as long as it’s taken care of properly. :iagree:

I think you should stay with the drive you have. Most drives do equally well on YUDEN000 T02. :slight_smile:

Actually, I expect to go to Verbatim for my project.

Thanks again for all your help

[QUOTE=Albert;2098620]
[li]Right now, mainly BenQ, Plextor, LiteOn, and Samsung drives are good for scanning, and having any of the first 3 makes is good. Samsung drives can scan, but aren’t held as highly as the first three when it comes to scanning.
[/li][/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me which particular Samsung model drives can scan? As my Samsung SH-S203B does not seem to scan with Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=CybaGirl;2102819]Can you please tell me which particular Samsung model drives can scan? As my Samsung SH-S203B does not seem to scan with Nero CD-DVD Speed.
[/QUOTE]
It can, see http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/mini-faq-samsung-dvd-writers-220607/