Help installing DVD burner?

I have a Dell Latitude D600 that already has a CD/DVD drive.

I just bought the Samsung Slim DVD burner tray IDE (SN-S082D/BEBN).

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?ATT=27151135&CMP=AFC-SlickDeals&Item=N82E16827151135)

Would someone be kind enough to walk me through the steps to install the burner into my laptop?

I took out the CD/DVD drive and tried unscrewing most of the screws, but I couldn’t take the plastic casing off because it was wrapped around. Even if I were able to take it off and put the DVD burner inside it, the design is such that it would cover up the connection. The connection on my old CD/DVD drive is located on the right side, and the connection on my new DVD burner is located on the left side, if that makes any sense. I’m sure there’s another word to describe “connection” that I’m not using. Is there another way around this? Any advice is appreciated greatly. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t think you are going to be able to get it to fit. Did you see a specific recommendation that this drive was for the D600?

Unfortunately, laptops are non-standard in the way that they connect up in these drive bays, and you can’t just buy a drive off the shelf and hope it will fit.

Perhaps you could return it to the retailer and see whether they’ll swap it for a recommended upgrade for the Dell.