Help in selecting DVD burner for older PC

I have an old Pentium 3 866mhz computer that I would like to add a DVD burner . This is not my workhorse but a back up and will mostly be used for downloading stuff from usenets and burning the data. When I checked into Lite On drives I notice that several of them require a min of Pentium 4 and 1.4Ghz which is way outside the performance parameters of my old computer. Is there a budget DVD burner that I can use ? Please recommend some drives for consideration . Dual layer burning is not necessary. Thanks

[QUOTE=sportflyer;2010909]I have an old Pentium 3 866mhz computer that I would like to add a DVD burner . This is not my workhorse but a back up and will mostly be used for downloading stuff from usenets and burning the data. When I checked into Lite On drives I notice that several of them require a min of Pentium 4 and 1.4Ghz which is way outside the performance parameters of my old computer. Is there a budget DVD burner that I can use ? Please recommend some drives for consideration . Dual layer burning is not necessary. Thanks[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

You can run a DVD burner with those specs but you need at least a gig or RAM. How much RAM is in that box?

[quote=Bob;2010931]Welcome to CDF’s:

You can run a DVD burner with those specs but you need at least a gig or RAM. How much RAM is in that box?[/quote]

I only have 512 meg RAM . Any other choices like Samsung SH s202J ?

[QUOTE=sportflyer;2010978]I only have 512 meg RAM . Any other choices like Samsung SH s202J ?[/QUOTE]

512MB is plenty for DVD burning. My 850MHz Athlon PC with 384MB
of RAM has no trouble burning DVDs.

I can’t see why you would need more than a few MB for
DVD burning. Typical DVD burners and DVD burning software
requires a minimum of 128MB-256MB of RAM. Large and
bloated operating systems and burning software might
require more.

I have a box running Win XP on a 450mhz P III and 576 mb of RAM.

The only issue is that speed is limited to 8x burning due to the overall slowless of this system. With one twice as fast, I bet you can do 16x without issue.

So you guys think it’s not going to be a problem using the Liteon 20A4P in my 866Mhz Pentium 3 system ? I suppose it will just burn at a slower rate than the published 20X . I was afraid of a mismatch between the system speed and what is demanded by the DVD drive . OS is Win2K .

[QUOTE=sportflyer;2011039]So you guys think it’s not going to be a problem using the Liteon 20A4P in my 866Mhz Pentium 3 system ? I suppose it will just burn at a slower rate than the published 20X . I was afraid of a mismatch between the system speed and what is demanded by the DVD drive . OS is Win2K .[/QUOTE]

From the LH-20A1P specs:
Pentium 4 1.3GHz or higher CPU and 128MB or higher RAM are required.
HDD must have access time < 20ms; with a minimum of 650MB free
space.
9GB free space for creating a DVD image file (9GB for double layer; 5GB for single layer).
Compatibility Microsoft Windows 98SE / 2000 / ME / XP

I don’t think the A4P will be much different. You might be
better off burning at 8-12x and avoid running other CPU or
I/O intensive tasks while burning a DVD. Even if you had a
much faster PC, burning at 20x often results in marginal
burn quality.

I usually leave mine burn setting at auto in my workhorse PC . The alternative burner for me was the Samsung S202J which per the specs requires pentium 3 ,800mhz min which is within my computer specs . I am not familiar with Samsung so would prefer Liteon since I already have one and it has never burnt a coaster yet.

I have a Pioneer 112 installed on a P3 1000Mhz with 256 RAM and I burn fine at 4x and 8x but if I choose 16x at some point there’s a slowdown. The strange thing is that this device is running in UDMA mode 3.

Most all the specs are for the software that is included with the drive. Not the drive only.

[QUOTE=sportflyer;2011274] I am not familiar with Samsung so would prefer Liteon since I already have one and it has never burnt a coaster yet.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a Samsung, but they get pretty good reviews on these forums.
I think they are close cousins of the Liteon in that they both use the MediaTek
chipset.

I’ve run latest NEC and Pioneer drives on AMD 750 with 512 MB RAM with no problem except slow speed. It takes twice as long for DVDShrink to complete when doing DVD backups than it does on a newer AMD 2600 system with same RAM.

I thought I’d chime in regarding Samsung products. I got my sh-s182m used for $6.00. I did not even expect it to work as it was up for auction clearly stating it was not tested. It turned out to work fine and be one of my best drives along side my Lite-On’s. The error/failure rates are low on quality media and it burns Verbatim MCC 004 media at 18x :slight_smile:
I regret the purchase my overpriced px-716sa after having such great results from my other cheaper drives. My px-716sa has been a disappointment from the start. I get poor results with all media at any speed. The PowerRec feature limits burn to 12x and drops to 8x most times. If I turn it off I get unplayable burns at 16x. After being a loyal Plextor customer for many years. My relationship with Plextor stops with the px716sa.
Good luck on your search for a burner for your older machine.