Help i'm not sure if its software or hardware

Please feel free to move this thread to the right forum…

lets see where to begin… yesterday…would be agreat place…yesterday i started getting an IE page that would pop up…with no address bar just an advertisement…which is funny because I only use Opera…
i did a deep scan with avast and then did spybot search and destroy…
well i thought that took care of everything

but it appeared i had to go into the registery and remove the file …which that i did…

but today…
NOW i have no printer connection…i downloaded new drivers…and it won’t install…said installiation failed…
grrrrrrrrrrr

so could this viruis screwed up my Printer Spool???

ok i just clicked to print this page…and it says…
Print spooler service is not running???
how do ya fix that?

Go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools,Services, then scroll down to Printer Spooler, click it once,and on the left side will be a place to STOP or RESTART.

thanks Harley…i tried that…but it still gave me the same error :frowning:

i think i’m gonna have to finally break down and reformat!!

Just a thought…do you have a restore point you can go to?

if it’s that drastic with a format, you maybe should start using Acronis true image or the likes, so it’s only 10 minutes instead of hours, it’s saved me a few times.

hope you get it sorted out

you know i’ve even went into the registary and turned the printer spooling on…and it won’t do anything

and yeah i need to go out and buy a copy of Acronis true image before i format…so i can run it just after i format to keep stuff from happening like this…

as for restore…i’ve got several restore points but every time i click for it to restore to a certain date …it gives me a message that it failed as well

I’ve had a similar problem in the past. You might try uninstalling all your printer software, etc and then try re-installing. That’s what finally fixed my problem.

[Hope you can get it sorted without having to do a full format.]

i uninstalled the printer first off…
and i still keep getting that spooling is off on my computer…i go in there and set it to on…and the status says on…but when i try to print…it get the do you want to install a new printer…and when i click yes…because no printer is listed…it says printer spooling is off

I think u have been infected . I use to have the same pb on a win2k machine there is a security patch that should fix it on win update

I think i’m just gonna bite the bullet here and…reformat this weekend…i’ve been putting it off and putting it off…i really need to…so better do it…:wink:

i do all the windows updates so it can’t be that…

I´m still learning about this sort of thing myself, but found a useful tool here
http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/

Click to get the online scan…it´s quick…and it will tell you exactly what is running on your system, and whether or not it is safe…maybe find something interesting.

ahh i’ve d-loaded so many useful tools…and nothing has helped…i’m just going to bite the bullet and reformat …arrghghghghgh

Have you tried using a registry cleaner to see if there are anymore unneeded/unwanted entries?

I did…and i used registary mechanic… there were some files …but still didn’t help with the printer problem…
I can’t seem to keep the printer spooling turned on…

OK…

after HOURS and HOURS of trying to get that stupid crap off my computer…
i went to restart…and it froze on the windows start up screen…

sooo i reformatted…

and my ‘back up copies’ in the D drive…are gone too!!!

so there went over 10,000 songs and stuff :wink:

but i’ve got loads of space now :wink:

lol? external hard disk ftw :bigsmile: u got pwned by the boogie man.

for real…now i’m running fast…but nothing in the drive yet but chat programs :wink:

SS, are you meaning you had another HDD connected to your PC, you reformatted and now you’ve lost everything on it?

This happened to me when i reformatted, what i should have done was unplug my D drive, then after the reformat pluged it back in.

theres a program called

Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS data recovery tool that managed to recover all the important stuff for me. it wasn’t very good if you were trying to recover a lot of data at once, but in small amounts it worked a charm.

Great advice on the unplugging but a bit too late for me…but now that i’m getting all the great programs reloaded and after True Image …i’ll at least have some good core programs to fall back on