Help identifying protection

vbimport

a cd im trying to copy is an encrypted disc that has embedded keys across the disc. Anyone know what kind of protection it is?. I have tried all the protection ID programs but all of them say no protection found except Protection ID which says “possible cd check string”. I can make a copy of the cd but when i try to play the copy it just says “need original cd in the drive”. Any information would help thnkx! : )

Welcome masterlizzard,

what’s the title of the disc, game or software, how many discs, programs you used fot the backup, settings, your optical drives, you also scanned the installation directory using PID?

The same for me:

• the title of the disc: CASPER - Jucariile Magice (CASPER - The Magic Toys)
  • producer: Compedia
  • game for kids
  • 1 disc
  • used Alcohol120, CloneCD, Game Jakal
  • Plextor PX-760A and Pioneer 216
  • PID 0.6.1.6 give only this info: "fix16bit.exe — Possible CD/DVD-Key or Serial Check "

Result: “need original cd in the drive” :a
Any help, please?

You’ve also scanned the installation directory using PiD - not just the CD ?
Would you please post an image of the error message window ?

[QUOTE=Terramex;2233984]You’ve also scanned the installation directory using PiD - not just the CD ?
Would you please post an image of the error message window ?[/QUOTE]

First, thanks for trying to help…:bow:
I scanned both places, cd and installation folder.
Maybe this could help:

Scanning -> E:\Setup.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 54272 (0D400h) Bytes
[!] File appears to have no protection or is using an unknown protection

• Scan Took : 0.700 Seconds

Scanning -> E:\fix16bit.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 265728 (040E00h) Bytes
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> Please insert
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Key or Serial Check -> serial number

• Scan Took : 0.589 Seconds

Scanning -> E:\waitmsg.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 174592 (02AA00h) Bytes

• Scan Took : 0.630 Seconds

Scanning -> E:\launcher.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 3561970 (03659F2h) Bytes
-> File has 3480050 (03519F2h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 014000h
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive

• Scan Took : 2.967 Seconds

The error that apear on the screen is when I try to start the game with the mounted image on daemon tools or with a cd copy (clonecd, alcohol, etc…):
“This program cannot run without original CD in the drive”

Maybe it’s just hotwired to the installation drive.
If you haven’t tried before:
Uninstall the game, and install again from the virtual drive - not from CD.

P.S.:
i was asking for an image of the error message window because someone might recognize the protection by its look :wink:

[QUOTE=Terramex;2234180]Maybe it’s just hotwired to the installation drive.
If you haven’t tried before:
Uninstall the game, and install again from the virtual drive - not from CD.

P.S.:
i was asking for an image of the error meassge window because someone might recognize the protection by its look ;)[/QUOTE]

Already done… not working.
Imediately when I mount the image, the message apears:
[B]“This program cannot run without original CD in the drive”[/B]
Ofcourse, I installed the game using explore function and setup.exe from image. The game is installing without problem.
The protection is linked to Compedia, I think cd-cops II or III.
If I try tu use DPM function in Alcohol (at 1x or 4x), after ~30sec is telling me that is unable to do this… and ofcourse continue to make a bad copie.:confused:

[QUOTE=testerics;2234506]If I try tu use DPM function in Alcohol (at 1x or 4x), after ~30sec is telling me that is unable to do this… and ofcourse continue to make a bad copie.:confused:[/QUOTE]Try all available DPM speeds - and if at hand also with another drive.
If it doesn’t work you can also try with CD/DVD Cops profile of DAEMON Tools Pro - maybe it works better with your drive(s).

P.S.:
I was talking about an image of the “This program cannot run without original CD in the drive” message

• not of your CD :wink:

[QUOTE=Terramex;2234524]Try all available DPM speeds - and if at hand also with another drive.
If it doesn’t work you can also try with CD/DVD Cops profile of DAEMON Tools Pro - maybe it works better with your drive(s).

P.S.:
I was talking about an image of the “This program cannot run without original CD in the drive” message

• not of your CD ;)[/QUOTE]

I already tried with Daemon Tools Pro, but with the same result. And I put the image of the disk because I think is more helpfull then image with error message… :iagree:

You can try to “stabalize” your drive’s DPM speed with tools like CD Bremse (CD Throttle) or nero DriveSpeed.
Maybe then it works.
Set the speed with the external tool immediately before the DPM starts - not earlier.

[QUOTE=testerics;2235088]And I put the image of the disk because I think is more helpfull then image with error message… :iagree:[/QUOTE]There are typical looks of error messages that often can be attributed to protections.
The appearance of a CD virtually always is the same :wink:

Can you please scan the disc with BurnOut and post the content of the cd.

No problem if this could help…
Thanks!

Test your image with an anti-blacklist tool like yasu.

[QUOTE=gf7;2238716]Test your image with an anti-blacklist tool like yasu.[/QUOTE]

The result could be seen on attachment…

And, ofcourse, my wife just give me a surprise today…
:a

Is it a protection problem, Were you trying to burn an xtra CD?

[QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Not that bumping a 3 or 5 year old topic is cool or anything, but that looks exactly like a HexaLock error message.

Hi guys i have a problem with making an extra software cd. We use this cd for training in a training center. I want a extra one as this cd will be subject to excessive use and I am afraid that employees will damage the CD costing 3000 ZAR. I have used protection ID and several similar software but I cannot pin the protection software. Could anyone please assist me?

When i make an image with alcohol 120 it gives me a read error at: 88249 then 88250 and keeps on counting into infinity…

PS. This is not an install disk. it is a runoff CD program.

My protection ID scan of the start.exe file reads as:

File Type : 32-Bit Exe (Subsystem : Win GUI / 2), Size : 6332615 (060A0C7h) Byte(s)
-> File has 5578951 (05520C7h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 0B8000h
[File Heuristics] -> Flag : 00000000000000011000000000000110 (0x00018006)
[Entrypoint Section Entropy] : 7.99

• Scan Took : 4.320 Second(s) [000001248h tick(s)] [533 scan(s) done]

The error message when trying to run a clone cd reads a
Headline: Error
with a message of: This program cannot run without the origional CD in the drive.

(unfortunatly my computer does not want me to upload a screenshot at the moment)

Thank you in advance for any help.

As already mentioned in this thread this looks like the same protection which is used by Comfy & Compedia.

In the coming days i’ll get a program distributed by Compedia.
Hopefully i can shed some light on how to copy that protection.
A long time ago -iirc- i read that they use a pretty simple blacklisting of program names of the usual suspects (Alcohol, DAEMON Tools etc.).
But let’s see…

Have you tried reading what this site has to say?

http://www.gamecopyworld.com/games/gcw_cd-backup.shtml

Or

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections.shtml

Or

Anyways just google this

how to copy a cd game with protection

Or

how to unlock cd copy protection