Help I have just burnt out my hard drive

vbimport

Hi all,
this is my first post, I have just done something really stupid, I have an external hard disk and I plugged in the wrong power adapter. I smelt burning then the unit went dead.:sad:
the adapter I put in was a 48 volt!
After everything had cooled I tried switching it on and the blue light at the front came on then went off straight away.
I took it apart and could not see any damge, If I remove the drive from the case the power light comes on but when I put the drive back in the power goes off.
Do you think that putting the drive into a new case will work or will the drive be toast?
Freecom 250GB Classic 3.5" 7200RPM.
I am prepaired to buy a new drive just to get the right case, but would I need to do that?
would the drive fit in any 3.5 case?
thanks in advance for any help.

I wouldn’t plug it into a computer’s power supply. It might take it out and your motherboard along with it. It is times like these that I have something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816014 It has a separate power supply for the hard drive and they are pretty resistant to getting taken out by a bad hard drive. They also help to protect tthe computer from getting fried since it uses the USB connection and the power supply is separate. Plus, if you kill it you’re not out much since they are inexpensive.

the power supply is not the problem, I plugged in the wrong adapter by mistake.
I now need to try and fix the unit to recover my data.

If you smelled smoke then likely your enclosure and/or hard drive is toast. You could test your hard drive by plugging it into the motherboard and the case’s power supply. Personally I wouldn’t risk it. You need to determine whether the hard drive is damaged and the best/safest way IMO is using a device like I linked to. I recommend you toss out the enclosure because I wouldn’t risk putting a good hard drive in it at this point. I also wouldn’t try to turn it one with the hard drive installed. It may damage the drive off if it hasn’t already.

I have an old pc which I opened up to see if I could plug the drive into that, but I could not find a suitable plug inside the pc.
I live in a small town, so I can’t get wires and stuff very easily,
I have ordered a new unit which is exactly the same and I will swap the drives around. hopefully I won’t damage the new unit.
If that does not work then I will know that the drive is also toast and I will have lost everything.

It depends if you have valuable data on that drive.
If not junk it and put it down to experience!
If you have you may be able to recover the data by taking the drive electronics off an [U][B]identica[/B][/U]l hard drive and replacing the fried one.
This may work providing the head and platter motors weren’t cooked.

Yes the data is very valuable to me, I have ordered an identical drive and I will keep my fingers crossed.

Always have a backup of your backup!!!

Yes,
I wish I wish I wish, I always put it off. Will I learn?
Probably not.
I emailed freecom and they recon the drive could be ok.
My replacement drive is due tomorrow so we will see.

I got a new drive and case exactly the same as the old one, and no luck.
swapped over the drives.
the new drive works in the old case so it is not the case.
the old drive does not work in the new case.
What I think now is perhaps it is the motor which is burnt out.
could I replace the motor?
grasping at straws here…

[QUOTE=jetstream;2046576]Yes,
I emailed freecom and they recon the drive could be ok.
[/QUOTE]
If they recondition the drive make sure they understand you want the data on the discs.If they can do that that would be your best bet.
I understand there are professional recovery services that can recover almost anything but that is expensive.

[QUOTE=cholla;2047264]If they recondition the drive make sure they understand you want the data on the discs.If they can do that that would be your best bet.[/QUOTE]

I took it that jetstream was saying Freecom reckon the drive will be OK (misspelling of “reckon”) :slight_smile:

Personally, I’d just chalk it up to experience, but that’s just me…I’ve lost important data in the past (not due to toasted drives though), and at least I learned something from it…always back up! :slight_smile:

Professional recovery services are an (expensive) option though if the data is critical.

Have you swapped the printed circuit board on the drives as I previously suggested? Then tried it?
The board electronics is more likely to be fried than the motors if you are lucky.
If it works back up all data replace the circuit board and junk the old drive as it is probably less reliable now.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2047818]Have you swapped the printed circuit board on the drives as I previously suggested? Then tried it?
The board electronics is more likely to be fried than the motors if you are lucky.
If it works back up all data replace the circuit board and junk the old drive as it is probably less reliable now.[/QUOTE]

Hello, i had the same problem with my lacy 500GB and my 750 GB, i’m an IT student and then i was not. So i made a mistake two times and now i never do again!

Can i swap the printed circuit board? and will it work?

Can some one help me findin only the circuit board or a cheap HD?

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750 GB

Firmware LC11

+5V 0.65A
+12V 0.6A

Product of China.

I would be really happy if some one helped me out, cuz i have important data on it.

Kind regards,

If the hard drive doesn’t have internal problems, you can switch out the circuit board as weedougie mentioned earlier in this thread. But it has to be the exact same model with the same firmware. Needles within haystacks come to mind.

Your best bet would be to search ebay for used drives and get their [B]exact[/B] specifications before purchasing.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2527971]If the hard drive doesn’t have internal problems, you can switch out the circuit board as weedougie mentioned earlier in this thread. But it has to be the exact same model with the same firmware. Needles within haystacks come to mind.

Your best bet would be to search ebay for used drives and get their [B]exact[/B] specifications before purchasing.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I am a IT student. I have a barracuda 7200.11 750 GB seagate, and the circuit is fried. I made a picture of the circuit and i also found the burned spot. Can i solder something else there so it will work again? Cuz i saw that swapping does not work ? here

If i can solder it where can i find the component? Can some one give me a name of the fried component/chip? I am an “expert” in soldering, cuz i do PSP LED modding and solder lose psp components/chips.

It wont boot up now, and not even a sound. Will i get my data back without spending more than $100?

Thank you for the help,

Kind regards

If you cant see the pictures, here is the album

The reply you got from that other site said a pcb swap [B]would[/B] work, provided you used the rom chip from your current drive in the new circuit board.

He also said you could simply replace the TVS diode, which seems to be the most sensible course of action since you have some skill with a soldering iron.

I doubt you will have anyone show up in here who knows the exact TVS diode you need. You’ll have to do that type of research yourself.
http://www.digikey.com/ This site has thousands to choose from.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2528017]The reply you got from that other site said a pcb swap [B]would[/B] work, provided you used the rom chip from your current drive in the new circuit board.

He also said you could simply replace the TVS diode, which seems to be the most sensible course of action since you have some skill with a soldering iron.

I doubt you will have anyone show up in here who knows the exact TVS diode you need. You’ll have to do that type of research yourself.
http://www.digikey.com/ This site has thousands to choose from.[/QUOTE]

Well Kerry… Thank you for the information, i will look up for the type en model and hope to find it. I also hope some one would pop up with the name. Does that part match the same model and name as other circuit boards of the barracuda 7200.11 750 GB?

Thanks for the replays and information.

Kind regards,

Ok,

I just removed the TVS diode and (DID NOT CONNECT THE TWO SIDES). It starts now and running. I did back up the files… Still like 300GB left to back up. So i’m glad is worked.

Hope it will word for the others!

Kind regards,

Any chance of a description, or better yet, an image of what the diode looks like? I’ve got the same problem and an almost identical barracuda drive. Do I understand correctly that you removed the burned diode, and did not replace it and were then able to run the drive(after connecting the power supply in the right priority of course)? Thanks!