HELP I cant make a working copy of my sims :(

Im a new member here and am also a newbie to making working copies… but to all those souls who can help me i thank you a lot

here’s my problem:
im backing up all my sims1 games, and it seems that my makin magic(expansion) cd is getting beaten a lot. ive tried using a-ray scanner and alcohol 120% for the backup, but it doesnt work…

a-ray scanner says: securom 2.90
my writer/reader : LG-CDRW (GCE-8527B)
im backing up my: sims makin magic cd (disk 1)

i have followed a lot of instructions here and i have managed to ruin 4 of my blank disc already… could someone please tell me how to make a working copy please… Thanks in advance

hi,

have you managed to backup the disc to your HD as an image or iso?

if so…

when you burn it, it fails to complete the burning?

Is your burner firmware updated? Also what does the exact error or message say? We do require some information to help out and resolve the problem, cause alot of people have varying configurations and setups. From what I understand most games CD can’t be copied because of the heavy copy protection scheme employed by the company that make the games.

hi,

have you managed to backup the disc to your HD as an image or iso?

if so…

when you burn it, it fails to complete the burning?

yes i have tried to make the image and was succesful,
it was in .mds and .mdf format…
the burning doesnt fail either, its just that its not a working copy,
i can use the cd to install the game but not to play it
i still need my original cd… can i make a full working perfect copy of my game?

Is your burner firmware updated? Also what does the exact error or message say? We do require some information to help out and resolve the problem, cause alot of people have varying configurations and setups. From what I understand most games CD can’t be copied because of the heavy copy protection scheme employed by the company that make the games.

I dont know how to upgrade the firmware, i dont even know what firmware am i using or what is it. (sorry…)
the game prottection was in securom 2.90

thanks to all those who will help

might need a patched exe not sure on rules of me mentioning this but being as its a legit backup i duno i could suggest stuff but i dont wanna get slapped with a ban :slight_smile:

Something that may work:

Backup the disc to your HDD as a .iso. When you want to use the game you will need a program such as DAEMON Tools (free) to mount the image. You may/may not need a crack (i’m also not sure if this is legal, but i think it is).

I’ve done this and it works fine for me (with a crack).

[B]Theorectically [/B] cracking is [U]legal [/U] as by law it works on the basis that firstly you own the game (and are doing it solely to increase the lifespan of your discs) and also that you are blame if things go wrong - because you choose to get the exe (code) from someone who may/may not be experienced!

[I]Also same for emulation, which is why emulators are not banned…yet![/I]

This is not correct: altering the code of an .exe file is illegal whether you own the game or not. Emulation is completely different and not illegal.

@everyone: no more talk of cracks or altered .exe files please, if you want this thread to continue for the OP’s benefit. :cop:

True…so True!

thats fair enough :iagree: wasnt too sure on the rules etc should read them really

Not likely. It’s been many years since securom had a version number that low and AFAIK all Sims games have used some version of safedisc. Please scan the program’s installation folder with Protection ID and report back.