Help: Hunting for quality DVD+R/-R media w/ good longevity

With sadness I’ve noticed that most of the quality media I’ve tested / age-tested myself is not for sale anymore and my stockpiles have run out.

Now I’m looking for decent replacements.

Requirements: single layer DVD+R/-R in spindles of 50 or more and not costing more than 0.2EUR/piece. Must have wide compatibility with modern burners, good initial burn quality AND decent longevity.

Based on my own tests I’ve pruned my options down to the following three:

Maxell silver-topped 16x DVD+R, YUDEN000T03
source: http://svp.co.uk/product/taiyo_yuden_silver_topped_16x_dvd_r_maxell055

Maxell Xtreme Protek 16x DVD-R, MXL RG04
source: http://svp.co.uk/product/dvd_r_16x_maxell_xtreme_protek_branded_100_cello_maxell060

Panasonic 16x DVD+R, RICOHJPNR03
source: http://svp.co.uk/product/panasonic_branded_16x_dvd_r_panason026

SVP is just an example shop, I’m not rooting for them, or saying they are the cheapest - in fact, they probably are NOT.

I’ve looked at the burn rates for these and I’ve tested some earlier prints of the same media codes myself, but as we know this doesn’t mean much these days.

So, I’m soliciting for comments on quality, compatibility and longevity, if anybody has used a bigger quantity of any of the above.

In worst case I’ll buy all three and do my own testing, although longevity tests are now out of the question.

Comments?

P.S. I’ve excluded Sony, TDK, Ritek, CMC, MBIA and many others, because they just do not age well in my tests.

From my tests with YUDEN000 T03, MXL RG04 and RICOHJPN R03, I’d say the RICOHJPN R03 has the lowest compatibility with my burners.

I have tested YUDEN000 T03 with more burners than MXL RG04 but compatibilty is pretty good with both media codes so far.

YUDEN000 T03 seems to react better than other media codes to high speed burns (16x and faster), although this might be the result of having really good T03s.

Jitter seems to be best with MXL RG04 and the Xtreme ProTeks have the added benefit of scratch resistant surface.

Longevity-wise, the only one of these media codes I’ve had for a sufficient time to comment on are the T03s (Plextor branded) and they show no signs of degrading.

Thanks a lot DrageMester.

T03 is my minimum baseline for longevity. In fact, it doesn’t age quite well compared to the good old Made in Japan MXL, but unfortunately I can’t get than anymore. Or at least I assume the Protek MXL probably isn’t made in Japan.

So, T03 it probably is, unless I get some more data. I’ll probably get a smaller batch of MLX RG04 to play test with.

Thanks again.

[quote=Halcyon;2192705]T03 is my minimum baseline for longevity. In fact, it doesn’t age quite well compared to the good old Made in Japan MXL, but unfortunately I can’t get than anymore. Or at least I assume the Protek MXL probably isn’t made in Japan.[/quote] The Maxell Xtreme ProTek I got in jewelcases from Damrotech were marked Made in Japan (but they were expensive).

The Maxell Xtreme ProTek I got in spindles from SVP last time, came in what seemed to be the original cardboard box for this media, and the box says Made in Japan.

Others have also commented that all the Maxell Xtreme ProTeks should be Made in Japan.

The short serial numbers on my Maxell Xtreme ProTek has also been decoded by [B]koba[/B] IIRC as being Made in Japan on their high quality production line.

So all available evidence point to these being Made in Japan.

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2192577][B]Maxell silver-topped 16x DVD+R, YUDEN000T03[/B]
source: http://svp.co.uk/product/taiyo_yuden_silver_topped_16x_dvd_r_maxell055[/QUOTE]

I have ordered these 2 days ago, and they should arrive tomorrow.
I will post some scans and let you know how the quality is :iagree:

Out of the list, I’d go for the protek’s.

They burn nicely and have the added bonus of the scratchproof coating :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Womi;2192728]I have ordered these 2 days ago, and they should arrive tomorrow.
I will post some scans and let you know how the quality is :iagree:[/QUOTE]

That is an incredible price for TY DVDs. Bargain of the decade, or too good to be true? I look forward to seeing the scans.

Have Verbatim MCC004 been only left off the list because of price? Or are there concerns about their longevity? Here it is not difficult to find them for less than £0.18 (~€0.20) per disc in 50 packs.

I was about to recommend archival grade Verbatim, but considering the incredible price of the Maxell Proteks at SVP, I’ll leave that out, and just cry that I can’t buy from SVP anymore. :sad:

Translate: I’d go for the Proteks myself if I could. :slight_smile: T03s are not my cup of tea considering the price (and c’t tests show lesser climatic stability). My trusted media is Verbatim MCC004, the printables I get here (consistently CMC/PAPA) have no consistency issues at all.

Thanks for all the additional replies. I’m relieved to hear that particular MXL RG04 is likely Made in Japan (and thus, high quality). I’ll be ordering a stack of those myself. My own accelerated aging tests agree with c’t on Yuden T03.

Um, I’m not yet familiar with media codes… Is it a simple matter to translate the chosen code in to a brand and make that I can search for online? I am in Australia and I too am searching for archival quality DVD media. Is Dual Layer ok to use?

[Off-topic]

@Halcyon: sorry to be off-topic (:flower: to Arachne and pepst), but I’d like to seize the opportunity of your visit to the board to ask if you would be so kind to expose your current personal testing methods (for instance, drives and speeds used for scanning)? :smiley:
I’m very curious, as in the past your methods and considerations about disc quality testing have greatly impressed and influenced me. :cool:
I guess this thread would be a good place. Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=badboyaus;2193994]Um, I’m not yet familiar with media codes… Is it a simple matter to translate the chosen code in to a brand and make that I can search for online? I am in Australia and I too am searching for archival quality DVD media. Is Dual Layer ok to use?[/QUOTE]Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

I think you should open your own thread and, why not, read the FAQs before. :wink:

Also you can read this short essay of mine: The “dye” myth, or all about the “Mediacode” / “ADVInfo” / "MID

Thanks… I did have a poke through the FAQs before I posted and couldn’t find anything but I will look again. I appreciate the link to your article. I’m interested in how media should be stored as well.

I would be able to more easily recover from our house burning down if our life was backed up off site :slight_smile:

All Maxell Protek currently found is Maxell japan. It’s a question what Maxell will do when they run out of stock on that one, because officially Maxell themselves are no longer manufacturing DVD media .

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2194010][Off-topic]
@Halcyon: sorry to be off-topic (:flower: to Arachne and pepst), but I’d like to seize the opportunity of your visit to the board to ask if you would be so kind to expose your current personal testing methods (for instance, drives and speeds used for scanning)? :smiley:
I’m very curious, as in the past your methods and considerations about disc quality testing have greatly impressed and influenced me. :cool:
I guess this thread would be a good place. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
I too would be most interested in reading about your disc testing. Do you think that in due course you might have time to write an article for the user tests & reviews forum, or even the main CDFreaks site?:flower:

Also, may I be excused for going slightly off topic to ask two questions about the Maxell Xtreme Protek DVDs. Is the “hard coating on these discs’ recording surface” on the lower surface of the disc? And are the Maxell Xtreme Protek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) discs as highly regarded as the DVD-R version?

Thank you.

[quote=Ibex;2196536]I too would be most interested in reading about your disc testing. Do you think that in due course you might have time to write an article for the user tests & reviews forum, or even the main CDFreaks site?:flower:[/quote] [B]Halcyon[/B] already posted something here.

Also, may I be excused for going slightly off topic to ask two questions about the Maxell Xtreme Protek DVDs. Is the “hard coating on these discs’ recording surface” on the lower surface of the disc?
Yes.

And are the Maxell Xtreme Protek 16x DVD+R (MAXELL 003) discs as highly regarded as the DVD-R version?
I’m not sure.

I should have checked that thread again today just before posting (:o). Also I should have started with @Halcyon to make it clearer I was asking Halcyon rather than Wizzu. Apologies to all.

Thank you for also answering my questions DrageMester.:bow: Maxell’s Xtreme Protek discs look extremely interesting and are now on my shopping list.

[Off-topic][QUOTE=Ibex;2196580]Also I should have started with @Halcyon to make it clearer I was asking Halcyon rather than Wizzu.[/quote]I, for one, had got it the way you intended. :cool:

[QUOTE=Womi;2192728]I have ordered these 2 days ago, and they should arrive tomorrow.
I will post some scans and let you know how the quality is :iagree:[/QUOTE]Womi has posted a “Maxell (Taiyo Yuden) 16x DVD+R silver-top in 100pc shrink at SVP” scan here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-75920/index13.html#post2195639

Scanned my Maxell Proteks and posted results at:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/maxell-dvd-r-78639/#post2212518

As Dakhaas noted, these can have bubbles and run a disk of delamination. Mine have bubbles :frowning: