Help! How to stop 16 students draining 60Gb in 10 days?

vbimport

Hallo to everybody
I reeaallly need help with this. I rent studentrooms in my city and provide them with one adsl internetconnection so they all can look up things on internet, have their chats, get their email and so on. They can do anything there exept downloading movies or music all time. As you guessed, rules are to be broken, and they really Do. Since we don t have providers here who give unlimited download, i m stuck with the 60Gb a month and try to devide it by lets say 12 people out of 16 who use the internet.
I recently found Tomato software and DD-WRT, but in non of these routers i can set a limit for up/download of for ex 4Gb a month.
I found the possibilities on Tomato a little better then on DD-wrt, but can t figure out how to set all the settings. I really have to block any download to a strickt minimum.
If you know that the second half of the month, when the 60Gb is finished and the speed is set back to 64Kb/s they still manage to use an additional 25Gb in up and download in 20 days…
Asking everyone to install a netlimiter is just not possible.
I hope someone can give me a good solution for this. I m really desperate after googling 2 weeks…
Currently i use a D-link router DGL-4100 with 4 D-link acces points, but i have a second router Linksys WRT54GL which i could use.
If neccecary i could buy extra hardware, as long as it solves the problem.
Hope you can help me.
Thx a lot guys and girls
Stefaan

Make them get there own internet if they can not follow the rules, very easy solution.

You need a temporary solution while you investigate the long-term options.

I suggest you simply notify the students that there is a problem with the system being abused, and until further notice the internet will be turned off at midnight, and back on at say 7a.m. This should help slow down the downloads.

One assumes they are downloading movies and music, so you may be able to block access to certain torrent sites.

Yay, administrative options must be enabled. :slight_smile:

let each of them log in with their own user and passwd with limited space like 2Gb or so per person. and make it so they cannot see the others folders or write into it.
once 2 Gb is up they will have to delete to have some space.

[QUOTE=padoor;2460503]let each of them log in with their own user and passwd with limited space like 2Gb or so per person. and make it so they cannot see the others folders or write into it.
once 2 Gb is up they will have to delete to have some space.[/QUOTE]

I think your getting space storage vs downloaded bandwidth capacity confused. He is talking about the alloted download bandwidth limit per month on download basis. The only real way to download as the other posters say set administrative options and also use and read on the tomato firmware and set each computer MAC address a set allotment of bandwidth capacity or as well time limit when the internet is open for usage. And if all fails as one says it’s time for them to get their own internet and use up their alloted bandwidth and find what it really cost them in their pocket books. This will show them the real cost of going over the alloted bandwidth limit.

I ve set up the WRT54GL yesterday with the tomato firmware on it. 24Hours later it seems that there is a lot less download after blocking P2P in the Qos settings. (500Meg download instead of 5Gb download on 24 hours)
Together with the setup i ve put a paper in tha hall i ll kick every Mac-adress which downloads. (probably impossible to find out with a log) but it seems to work for now.
I ve disabled Kazaa, Emule, edonckey, bitorrent, etc. A friend here also told me Qos settings won t work cause p2p will still get 100% download when nobody else is using the internet.
Damn, if this keeps working, i got away with it very easy.
Thanks a lot for help here.
i ll post the final result after a month
stef

Don’t block P2P, since it uses any kind of port possible.

It’s better to give VOIP or HTML or email an extremely high bandwith, say 100kbps or something. Perhaps P2P can’t get in that much anymore since it’s all reserved for other data transfers.

Ya, i thought that too at first, but it won t work.
If there is 12Mbit available, the whole bandwidch should be taken by other applications like browsing or VOIP, which is never the case, especially at night.

[QUOTE=stef968;2460949]Ya, i thought that too at first, but it won t work.
If there is 12Mbit available, the whole bandwidch should be taken by other applications like browsing or VOIP, which is never the case, especially at night.[/QUOTE] Of course, since nobody is browsing anyway. This leaves it entirely open. How about a time lock then?

Thought about that too, but since i m an owl myself i wouldn t like someone else suffering without internet in late hours neighter :slight_smile:
Anyway, i blocked what should be blocked (most p2p for downloading).
if it works this way, everyone will stay happy exept the downloaders (which probably is everyone as you mentioned :D)

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2460508]I think your getting space storage vs downloaded bandwidth capacity confused. He is talking about the alloted download bandwidth limit per month on download basis. The only real way to download as the other posters say set administrative options and also use and read on the tomato firmware and set each computer MAC address a set allotment of bandwidth capacity or as well time limit when the internet is open for usage. And if all fails as one says it’s time for them to get their own internet and use up their alloted bandwidth and find what it really cost them in their pocket books. This will show them the real cost of going over the alloted bandwidth limit.[/QUOTE]

yes i have got confused with space in hd and bandwidth.
i was wondering how a space saving question comes up

sorry guys i over looked the OP post :o

[QUOTE=stef968;2460952]Thought about that too, but since i m an owl myself i wouldn t like someone else suffering without internet in late hours neighter :slight_smile:
Anyway, i blocked what should be blocked (most p2p for downloading).
if it works this way, everyone will stay happy exept the downloaders (which probably is everyone as you mentioned :D)[/QUOTE]

firewalls can work two ways:

• leave everything open and close down ports that you do not like
  • everything is closed down and you open up ports you like.

Perhaps the latter version is way better in this situation. Only allowing ports 80 (web), 25 (smtp) and 110 (pop) to be open. This way they can only surf and email. :slight_smile: Make sure upnp is disabled of course.

some of the bandwidth meters have provision to stop the net connection after a limited traffic ,the limit can be adjusted to 20 Gb
few proffessional versions have provision to run any command on reaching the limit .
it may be a simple solution for your problem.
but 20Gb is not much for 16 peoples’ regular usage of internet for normal usage in a university.

sinple email checking ,google search and few articles downloads will easily reach 1 to 1.5 GB per month for onq single person.

almost for the same money you must be able to get an unlimited download connection.

i feel the students need that and more even without movies or any undesirable downloads from net

how much do you pay a month for the service? and how much more is the next available service(upgrade)?

Hi everyone, my last post and update on the situation.
After this testperiod with my tomato firmware on the WRT54GL router, i came to the conclusion that its very hard to get the settings right. Qos indeed doesn t work as some people mentioned here. They only work when the whole bandwitch is used. You can make the in- and outbound smaller, but even then your volume is downloaded away. In 2 weeks on smallband more then 15Gig :slight_smile:
Blocking some p2p applications like limewire, bittorrent and others works. on the end of the month i had 1 Gig left. The problem was that MSN messenger, skype and some other applications like youtube didn t work good anymore, which resulted in more complaints.
Seems there is no router available which can deal with this problem. Setting up a computer to monitor and limit every connection is probably the only possibility.
My problem got solved because i changed provider (dommel for Belgium people) where i get unlimited download.
And everyone is happy again now :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=stef968;2472198]My problem got solved because i changed provider (dommel for Belgium people) where i get unlimited download.
And everyone is happy again now :)[/QUOTE]

:flower:

for unlimited connections the isp keeps the bandwidth in control after a certain amount of downloads.
keep a watch you get the agreed connected speed always.
it is good you around doing it finally :slight_smile: