Help, having off and on success w/ CloneCD & Liteon

I just recently got a Liteon 48x drive and started to copy some CDs (I use the liteon for both reading and writing). Here is what I have tried to copy and my success with it:

Battlefield 1942 - Works great
Civilization III - Installs, but own’t run
GTA III - Installs, but won’t run
Mafia - Installs, but won’t run
Max Payne - Works great
Medal of Honor - Works great
Warcraft III - Works great

Can anyone suggest something that I might be doing wrong? I am using the profiles provided on this clone CD forum, except for Max Payne. I used standard game copy for that. For WarCraft III I used the securerom new for liteons profile and for all the rest I think I used the SD2, no AWS profile.

Why might I be having this varied success?

I have heard one or two things about hide CD-R media or something like that. I did a search and all I know is it’s hidden in latest versions of cloneCd or something like that? What is Hide CD-R media and would that help me at all?

Oh, and I have read/write speed set to max. I plan to try copying these at slower speeds now, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Originally posted by Shaggy999
[B]… Liteon 48x drive … and my success with it:

Battlefield 1942 - Works great
Civilization III - Installs, but own’t run
GTA III - Installs, but won’t run
Mafia - Installs, but won’t run
Max Payne - Works great
Medal of Honor - Works great
Warcraft III - Works great

Can anyone suggest something that I might be doing wrong? Why might I be having this varied success?

What is Hide CD-R media and would that help me at all?[/B]
OK. GTAIII & Mafia not working, MOHAA and BF1942 working (all SD2) suggests a problem with the GTAIII and Mafia images. Should be a simple matter for your Litey BUT AWS should be off.

WC3 is SecuROM new and Max Payne is SD v2.30.033 (no ATIP check) both relatively easy

CivIII is LaserLock.

Check the FAQ about Hide CD-R Media if you play from a burner.

Reread your images following the steps found via the FAQ (sticky post). Also get a hold of D-Tools also via the FAQ

Stay in touch.

PS if you are burning warez ISOs then anything can happen :wink:

I think I may have found the reason why I was having problems with some but not others. I am creating the CDs on my lite on drive and then testing them on my laptop. My laptop has 2 drives: A basic CD-ROM and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo.

I just popped Battlefield 1942 into the CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive and tried to play it and got the same error I was getting w/ Mafia, GTA III, and Civilization. Then I tossed Civilization, Mafia, and GTA III into the CD-ROM and they all played fine.

So I think what I was doing was the ones that were working before I was testing in the CD-ROM drive. The others I was testing in the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and that’s why I was having problems.

So basically, if I have a SD2 copied CD that plays fine in a CD-ROM, but give me that CD check thing in the CD-RW then I made the best copy possible at this time, correct?

Ok, I just hit a CD that I am having a lot of trouble to copy. It’s “Jeff Wayne’s The War of the Worlds” PC game. After getting an image of it and mounting it I can install off of it. However, I can’t tell if the install is any good as they have this little piece of info in the readme file that says this:

Q. Problems with multiple CD drives.
A. The War Of The Worlds MUST be installed from the primary CD drive
on your system (i.e. with the lowest drive letter). If the game has
already been installed from another drive, then it must be unistalled,
and then re-installed from the primary drive.

So I didn’t feel like uninstalling, swapping drive letters, and then installing again and testing playability.

So anyway, I burned a copy of this game and put it into my laptop. My CD-ROM is my lowest lettered drive (not the DVD-ROM/RW combo). Anyway, the auto menu pops up and I click on install, the disc spins up for a moment and then nothing happens. Then 20 minutes later after I’ve taken the disk out a small setup grey window that says setup at the top appears and it’s locked up and I have to kill it from the taks manager.

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

I should also mention that the install launches just fine off the burned CDs in my desktop machine, which has Win2K on it. My laptop is WinXP. I wonder if there’s an incompatability between XP and this game?

So basically, if I have a SD2 copied CD that plays fine in a CD-ROM, but give me that CD check thing in the CD-RW then I made the best copy possible at this time, correct?

Yes.

Ok, that’s great. Sucks about the ATIP check, but it will suffice for my needs. College is starting back up for me in a week and I need to take some games onto campus with me as I will have hours in between some of my classes. Since my laptop has a basic CD-ROM drive in it I don’t have to do anything special to get my games to work. I’m making copies of games so in case I lose or break a CD it won’t be like the end of the world. :wink:

[B]Ok, I just hit a CD that I am having a lot of trouble to copy. It’s “Jeff Wayne’s The War of the Worlds” PC game. After getting an image of it and mounting it I can install off of it. However, I can’t tell if the install is any good as they have this little piece of info in the readme file that says this:

Q. Problems with multiple CD drives.
A. The War Of The Worlds MUST be installed from the primary CD drive
on your system (i.e. with the lowest drive letter). If the game has
already been installed from another drive, then it must be unistalled,
and then re-installed from the primary drive.

So I didn’t feel like uninstalling, swapping drive letters, and then installing again and testing playability.

So anyway, I burned a copy of this game and put it into my laptop. My CD-ROM is my lowest lettered drive (not the DVD-ROM/RW combo). Anyway, the auto menu pops up and I click on install, the disc spins up for a moment and then nothing happens. Then 20 minutes later after I’ve taken the disk out a small setup grey window that says setup at the top appears and it’s locked up and I have to kill it from the taks manager.

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

I should also mention that the install launches just fine off the burned CDs in my desktop machine, which has Win2K on it. My laptop is WinXP. I wonder if there’s an incompatability between XP and this game? [/B]
Always install from the original and test the game in your OS; this tip is near the top of “Down & Dirty”. Installing but not running suggests that you have not defeated the copy protection.

Try running it in compat mode for Win98 (right click the shortcut).

Always save your Read & Write Logs so you can post them here (copy and paste into a post). Post a read Log if you can (…read it again for us?) LaserLock, for example, looks like this:

I 6:35:52 PM CloneCD Version 4.0.0.0 started!
I 6:35:52 PM ElbyCDIO Driver 4.0.0.0
I 6:35:52 PM ElbyCDIO.dll 4.0.0.0
I 6:35:52 PM CCDDriver.dll 4.0.0.0
I 6:35:52 PM ElbyECC.dll 4.0.0.0
I 6:35:52 PM Registered to: a registered user!
I 6:35:54 PM Searching for SCSI/ATAPI devices…
I 6:35:55 PM Device Scan found 7 CD-ROMs and 5 CD-Writers!
I 6:37:09 PM Starting copy from LITE-ON LTR-24102B to F:\24102bLL.ccd
I 6:37:09 PM Read Speed for Data Tracks: Maximum
I 6:37:09 PM Read Speed for Audio Tracks: 8x
I 6:37:09 PM Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks: No
I 6:37:09 PM Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks: No
I 6:37:09 PM Fast Error Skip: Yes
I 6:37:09 PM Don’t report read errors: No
I 6:37:09 PM Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner: Yes
I 6:37:09 PM CD contains CD-Text: No
I 6:37:09 PM Reading Track 1… (Blocks 0-340206)
W 6:37:20 PM Failed to read Sector 2090
W 6:37:31 PM Failed to read Sector 2099
W 6:37:43 PM Failed to read Sector 2100
W 6:37:54 PM Failed to read Sector 2101
I 6:38:06 PM Fast Error Skip has been enabled automatically!
W 6:38:06 PM Failed to read Sector 2102
I 6:38:07 PM Scanning bad sectors…
W 6:38:22 PM Writing Dummy Sectors 2103 to 2182
W 6:38:22 PM Failed to read Sector 2390
W 6:38:23 PM Failed to read Sector 2399

SafeDisc 2 like this:

I 9:15:29 PM Starting copy from ASUS CRW-4816A to H:\asus48moh1.ccd
I 9:15:29 PM Read Speed for Data Tracks: Maximum
I 9:15:29 PM Read Speed for Audio Tracks: Maximum
I 9:15:29 PM Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks: No
I 9:15:29 PM Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks: No
I 9:15:29 PM Fast Error Skip: Yes
I 9:15:29 PM Don’t report read errors: No
I 9:15:29 PM Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner: No
I 9:15:29 PM CD contains CD-Text: No
I 9:15:29 PM Reading Track 1… (Blocks 0-320677)
W 9:15:30 PM If you don’t expect read errors on this CD, disable “Fast Error Skip”!
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 811
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 831
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 849
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 850
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 868
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 893
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 899
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 900
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 920
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 938
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 943
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 961
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 982
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 1000
W 9:15:30 PM Failed to read Sector 1005

ProtectCD like this:

I 9:41:40 PM Starting copy from ASUS CRW-4816A to H:\asus48cossacks.ccd
I 9:41:40 PM Read Speed for Data Tracks: Maximum
I 9:41:40 PM Read Speed for Audio Tracks: Maximum
I 9:41:40 PM Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks: Yes
I 9:41:40 PM Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks: Yes
I 9:41:40 PM Fast Error Skip: Yes
I 9:41:40 PM Don’t report read errors: No
I 9:41:40 PM Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner: No
I 9:41:40 PM CD contains CD-Text: No
I 9:41:40 PM Reading Track 1… (Blocks 0-140469)
W 9:41:42 PM If you don’t expect read errors on this CD, disable “Fast Error Skip”!
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2316
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2317
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2326
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2327
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2331
W 9:41:42 PM Failed to read Sector 2332

Test the images using Daemon’s Tools Phantom CD-ROM.

It really is a case of matching profiles to specific prots sometimes or avoiding quirks with individual writers :wink:

Ok, I’ll try and burn this again tomorrow and post the logs. The reason why I can install it but not play it is because as I said before, the readme file for the game says that it will only play off of the lowest lettered drive, and only if it was installed from that drive too. So I was unable to test the mounted image (mounted in Daemon Tools). But I was able to successfully install it once I burned it in my desktop machine, it just wouldn’t run, which maybe is because the copy protection won’t allow it like that ATIP check thing.

In my PC it doesn’t even install like I said before. It just crashes and does nothing.

ClonyXXL said that it was the old SecuRom (2 skulls), but not sure whether to trust that or not as I don’t know if this game was produced before/after dev stopped on Clony. I used both the old secuRom and new SecuRom for lite on settings and neither copy worked.

I will post logs tomorrow.

[B]The reason why I can install it but not play it is because as I said before, the readme file for the game says that it will only play off of the lowest lettered drive, and only if it was installed from that drive too. So I was unable to test the mounted image (mounted in Daemon Tools). But I was able to successfully install it once I burned it in my desktop machine, it just wouldn’t run, which maybe is because the copy protection won’t allow it like that ATIP check thing.

In my PC it doesn’t even install like I said before. It just crashes and does nothing.[/B]
You can change drive letter assignments in XP quite easily although the original drive letter will be hard wired. Maybe switch accordingly, uninstall then install? You still have to defeat the CP, too.

How does it hang? Does it get like 100% done copying a file and then just sit there? There are two possible reasons for that:

1. A bad read, just re-image the file. This is what I did. When I had the same problem.
  2. My friend had this exact same problem as well (with a different disk), his images were downloaded online. His solution was to re-extract the image from the compressed files he downloaded.

[B]How does it hang?

…his images were downloaded online. His solution was to re-extract the image from the compressed files he downloaded. [/B]
As for the first: you have to install and run the original - this should be a non-burner. Next you have to defeat the copy protection (hanging means you haven’t); you can’t test the image in D-Tools unless you uninstall the original installation…for piece of mind, I’d do all this ( install original & test that the game will actually run, uninstall original, install from D-Tools and test without emulation, uninstall from D-Tools, install copy)

As for the second, anything can happen with warez and we do not support that activity here

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]As for the first: you have to install and run the original - this should be a non-burner. Next you have to defeat the copy protection (hanging means you haven’t); you can’t test the image in D-Tools unless you uninstall the original installation…for piece of mind, I’d do all this ( install original & test that the game will actually run, uninstall original, install from D-Tools and test without emulation, uninstall from D-Tools, install copy)

As for the second, anything can happen with warez and we do not support that activity here [/B]

I like to install from the copied CD just to make sure that the whole CD copied ok, because it’s possible the copy protection is copied over and so the game loads fine, but what if a part of the disk didn’t get copied ok? Then you might have some corrupt files that you wouldn’t notice until you needed to re-install the game or a video file loads or something. So whenever I copy a game I always install off the CDs I’ve made.