Help: Flashing gone wrong?

I tried flashing to the Fast Read/Write firmware for the S203N, But after rebooting the system my drive light stays on and i cannot use the drive anymore, i have to reflash back to the original firmware to get it working again… The fast read caught my attention as i thought it might help in speed up in ripping original pressed dvds ( can only rip at 7MB/s )

Hi,[quote=EarlZ;2019086]I tried flashing to the Fast Read/Write firmware for the S203N, But after rebooting the system my drive light stays on and i cannot use the drive anymore, i have to reflash back to the original firmware to get it working again…[/quote]so you’re up and running again? Flashing firmware sometimes goes wrong if the controller isn’t perfectly compatible with optical drives.

The fast read caught my attention as i thought it might help in speed up in ripping original pressed dvds ( can only rip at 7MB/s )
I assume, you have read the thread about this patched firmware carefully?

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2019224]Hi,so you’re up and running again? Flashing firmware sometimes goes wrong if the controller isn’t perfectly compatible with optical drives. I assume, you have read the thread about this patched firmware carefully?

Michael[/quote]

Hi, Yes its back up and running again but everytime i reflash it im getting the very same problem. As for the fast read/write, yes i do understand that it changes the reading speed FROM 16x to 18x, Im trying to use that firmware in hopes that i can have a faster ripping speed on this drive. but is 7mb/s really the limit on ripping original dual layer dvd’s on this drive ?

Well if the FR firmware isn’t working for you you can download MCSE: http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/
After loading the firmware to the right there’ll be a box to check for RPC1 free, check that and reflash. That should be the end of your slow ripping days.

The patched f/w of COdeKings will do noting in terms of read speed with pressed discs AFAIK.
This speed read function is SL media only.
Samsung & in particular the 203 (various) seem to be system dependant when it comes to reading/ripping.
See a thread on 203 and riplock? I think.

Hi,[quote=EarlZ;2019370]Hi, Yes its back up and running again but everytime i reflash it im getting the very same problem. [/quote]Maybe a matter of the SATA controller you are using. What controller is that and how is it configured in BIOS setup?

As for the fast read/write, yes i do understand that it changes the reading speed FROM 16x to 18x, Im trying to use that firmware in hopes that i can have a faster ripping speed on this drive. but is 7mb/s really the limit on ripping original dual layer dvd’s on this drive ?
No, this patched firmware will break the 16x limit for data discs only. It won’t increase the read speed for video DVDs. Some users experienced good results when using AnyDVD for their video backups, so it might be some system or even software related issue.

Michael

Abit IP35-E, i dont know what SATA controller it uses.
Bios settings is set for it to run in SATA mode.

@chaosoffar2k

Thanks for the tip, i will try that.