Help! Flashed DRU18a and now it doesn't recognize Any discs

vbimport

Just put in a new HL-DT-ST GSA-H21L and I have the same problem. Basically, it’s like the computer just decided to stop recognizing any cd/dvd drive . Could a bad flash do this? I know for a fact the flashes were successful. Something isn’t right, but I have no idea what it is.

Try removing the upper and lower filters.

This can be done through ImgBurn…click any option then hit Tools–>Filter Driver Load Order. Highlight any upper and lower filter found and remove them. Then exit and reboot the machine.

Or you can follow this guide if you are comfortable working in the registry of your operating system: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

By the way, there is a jumper on the back of an IDE drive that must be set correctly. If you have attached the drive as a slave drive, this jumper must be set to the slave position, or on many machines, the jumper can also be set to Cable Select.

I did this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 Now, after restart, it doesn’t even recognize the E: drive, the drive the burner is/was on. I don’t even see it in device manager anymore, and when I insert a disc, nothing happened but a flashing green light for thirty seconds then it stops.

Well, that’s not good. What type of IDE cable are you using? Is it a 40 wire cable or an 80 wire cable?

In this picture you’ll see the two types, with the 80 wire cable on top. You should be using an 80 wire cable with your optical drive. These two are brown, but they are normally grey in color.

You may have a bad cable, even if it is the correct type.

If you are trying to set up the drive as a slave drive it should be connected to the middle connection. And you need the jumper on the back of the drive set to Slave. The connector at the very end of the cable goes to the Master drive.

80… but I restarted again and it showed back up. But do I slide the jumper to move it or what? BTW, I put in a pinnacle studio software dvd and it read it, but not much else. I don’t know what to make of it.

If it is showing up again and reading disks, the jumper is probably ok. You can check it to be sure.

To move a jumper you pull it straight off the two pins it is on, then move to the correct two pins.

I did all that. When I look at the E: drive, it’s like it’s been turned into a folder. I don’t get it. This has never happened to anyone else before? Is it possible that the motherboard was flashed instead? I mean, I put in a whole new drive, a whole different model, and checked everything you said check, but to no avail. I’m starting to think that my computer will NEVER read a disc again…

Could i be a driver issue? If so, how do I check?

Start up in SAFE MODE (hit F8 at startup) and check the optical drive with CD and DVD media and also with a tool like dvdinfopro, imgburn or nero cd dvd speed.

I just don’t get why it turned into a folder. For instance, I can leave the dvd/cd tray empty, click on it and it will open up like an empty folder. Then I can copy and place files in there like a folder. Is this normal? Has anyone had this issue after a firmware flash?

Go to Device Manager. Find the listing for the dvd drive and right click on it. This gives you some options. Click on Uninstall. Once the drive is uninstalled, reboot the machine and let the operating system find the drive again.

I’ve been doing that constantly, to no avail. I swapped the new optical drive out of another HP Media Center, the LiteOn GSA-H21L , I mean. Perhaps it’s got it’s own issues. I have a friend that said he would give me his drive, if he has one that is compatible, so I am meeting him tonight, hopefully. BTW, it’s a 40 pin, he said. He works with computers. Trying to prevent having to pay him to fix the problem, plus, he doesn’t have much time to do it anytime soon. I put the DW-U18a back inside and put the GSA-H21L back in it’s case and it doesn’t read discs in it’s original HP box either, so I guess I have two bum drives on my hands. A shame if that’s the case. They’re some beauts!

All the IDE drives are 40 pin. An 80 wire cable uses extra wires between the ones that carry current to prevent crosstalk.

Good luck on this. I don’t feel like I’ve been much help, but there are really only a limited number of things to try when troubleshooting optical drives.

Thanks Kerry! For all your help. I’ll report back once I get the new drive in.

Error 1327: Invalid Drive

This error has several causes. One cause is that the installation was created with a hard-coded path to a drive letter that does not exist on the machine. If this is the case then there is no way to make the installation install to a different drive letter. The software vendor must be contacted. Other causes include:

i.    The CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive letter has changed since a previous install.
                        ii.    You have changed the drive letter of the hard disk that the operating system is installed on, for example, drive C.
 iii.    This behavior may occur if a registry key contains an incorrect value in a Data field.

Fix
Because this error has different causes, you may have to check multiple items on your computer i. If drive letters have been changed on your computer, re-assign the original letter to the CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or operating system drive. Follow the steps appropriate to your operating system:

ii. Windows XP Users
A. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
B. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
C. In the Computer Management tree, click Disk Management.
D. Right-click the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, or the drive that contains the operating system, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
E. Click Change, and change it to the original drive letter. Click Ok, and then click Close.
iii. Windows 2000 Users
F. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
G. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
H. In the Computer Management tree, click Disk Management.
I. Right-click the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, or the drive that contains the operating system, and then click Change Drive Letter and Path.
J. Click Edit, and change it to the original drive letter. Click Ok, and then click Close.
iv. Windows NT Users
K. Click Start, and then click Run.
L. In the Run dialog box, type windisk.exe in the Open field, and then click Ok. This opens Disk Administrator.
M. Find the letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, or the drive that contains the operating system that needs to be changed back to its original letter.
N. Right-click the drive letter and select Assign Drive Letter.
O. In the Assign Drive Letter dialog box, select the original drive letter from the drop-down list.
P. Close Disk Administrator, accept the changes, and restart the computer.

Verify that registry entries do not contain invalid drive letters that might be causing this error:

Important: The following steps require you to modify the Windows registry. Modifications to the Windows registry, if not done correctly, can cause serious problems to a Windows system. Before editing the registry, see How Do I Back up Registry Keys on My Computer?
a. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
b. In the Open field, type regedit, and then click Ok. The Registry Editor opens.
c. In the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
d. In the right pane, note the values in the Data column of each entry. If any value contains a drive that is not correct for your computer, right-click the entry and select Modify.
e. Type the correct drive letter in the Value data field, and then click Ok. For example, if one of the values is “X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator”, the drive letter should be changed to a valid drive on the system, such as “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator".
f. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each entry whose Data value contains an incorrect drive.
g. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each of the following registry keys:
i. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
ii. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
iii. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
iv. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
h. Close the Registry Editor and run the installation again.

Good grief, you are having problems I have never seen, in the nine years I’ve been working with optical drives.

Have you examined the registry entries as these instructions say to? Do you have the optical drive showing up in Device Manager?

Yeah. It’s showing up. I really have no idea what to do. I’ve been working on this 5 days. I’m hoping it’s only the optical drive.

I had similar recurrent issue with one of my Hard Drives NAME (example: MaXLiNe) retained by windows 7 and associated every time with it’s older drive letter, knowing that I’ve been swapping optical drives SSDs and HDDs a lot lately and have usb card reader with multiple drive showing in windows explorer, everytime a new drive, even USB stick is added,and takes the older driver letter,it carries automatically that drive name!

I was actually looking for a tool to " clear the association drive letter- drive name" from windows 7  drive manager memory : I think you just provided it , so thanks for the post very much, will give it a try shortly.

No problem. Thanks for the help guys! Got a Gorgeous Sony DWU-840A, put it in and voila! Works like a charge. I see now that either I drive died after flash or it was already on it’s last leg before the flash… SOLVED! LOL ALL SMILES!