Help fixing/replacing ND-3550A burner

I’ve had a NEC ND-3550A burner for the last 1 year and it has worked flawlessly. However, yesterday I accidentally bumped (hard) the tray when it was open and now the drive will not recognize any discs.
Is the drive hosed or can it be fixed?
I suspect that it’s beyond hope and am looking at replacing it with the Optiarc AD-7170A. Is this a good choice? I am looking for something cheap (< $40) and I can get it shipped from TigerDirect for $40. The ND-3550A has apparently been discontinued and is only available at exorbitant prices now.

Thanks

You may have dislodged the tray to one side. Does it close and fit properly, or slightly out of alignment?

As far as I remember there are cogwheels on the body of the unit and a corresponding linear track on the tray; that if you bash it, can jump a couple of teeth on one side but not the other. It might be worth a bit of close investigation to see if you can ‘adjust’ the tray back to its proper alignment.

It seems to close properly. but I will open it up tonight and see if the alignment is out.

Yep give it a really good look. I think there’s plenty of in-built compensation in the laser focusing mechanism to allow for a certain amount of misalignment on the disc.

The new drives are certainly cheap enough to justify replacing the old drive. An alternate source is newegg.com. You might save 10 bucks. regards, g1

[QUOTE=gamma1;1923363]The new drives are certainly cheap enough to justify replacing the old drive. An alternate source is newegg.com. You might save 10 bucks. regards, g1[/QUOTE]

LOL. It turns out that a foam separator from the DVD cakebox had fallen into the tray. So my drive is fine after all.
In the meantime, I bought a Pioneer DVR-112D from ChiefValue as well.

Oh, well. :slight_smile:

Should have gone for the Optiarc from Sony/Nec. Really nicce drive my friend!