Help fix my drive please

I have a cw079d, apparently made by cyberdrive. It worked in windows ME, does not work with XP pro. I have attempted to update the firmware from the current 11SJ to the newer 12SJ but when I click on the 12SJ icon it says MODEL NAME IS MISMATCH and will not upgrade. Suggestions for making my drive work in XP would be much appreciated.

Yes it is a Cyberdrive. What do you mean when you say the drive “doesn’t work”? Does it get detected at all?

It’s detected by windows but when you go into device manager it has one of those yellow question marks and when you go into properties it says “This device cannot start”

Have you done an upgrade from ME to XP? If so, then uninstall the drive from device manager, then shut down. Unplug the drive, the turn back on the computer and let it boot into Windows. Then shut down again. Plug your drive back in, the boot back up again. Let windows recognise the drive and hopefully install it correctly.

It’s a clean install of xp, but I’ll try this anyway as I have no other ideas.

Tried it, sadly no luck.:confused:

By the way if this helps any, I fixed it once before somewhere in the middle of doing windows update and installing ASPI. Someone also told me to remove the drive and install the firmware. So somewhere in there was the solution, but I have done all three with no success.

Nobody know anything? I need to burn stuff :sad:

Have you tried physically moving the drive to different location in the IDE drive chain…ie…primary slave to secondary master to secondary slave? While uninstalling and reinstalling from device manager should do the same thing…XP may be holding on to some piece of code for that drive plugged in where it currently is…

Just an idea…:slight_smile:

Well I made it the secondary master and that got me an unknown drive popping up in My Computer, but in device manager it’s the same thing. I think if I can get the firmware to go it’ll work, but that MODEL NAME IS MISMATCH won’t let me do it.

I think your on the right track…but it would help if you could flash back to the origianal firmware…

Based on all you’ve tried so far…tend to agree that the tinkered firmware is atleast part of you mess here…:slight_smile:

No it’s not the tinkered firmware, it’s the original. I want the tinkered one but I can’t get it to flash because it says MODEL NAME IS MISMATCH

Bringing this back from the dead seeing as how my burner still doesn’t work. Help me out here.

Originally posted by crunchy
I have a cw079d, apparently made by cyberdrive. It worked in windows ME, does not work with XP pro. I have attempted to update the firmware from the current 11SJ to the newer 12SJ but when I click on the 12SJ icon it says MODEL NAME IS MISMATCH and will not upgrade. Suggestions for making my drive work in XP would be much appreciated.

A Cyberdrive with the same problem is what brought me to CD Freaks, Mismatch message, sorry to say but I think you are out of luck. I found several other people here and elsewhere with the same mismatch and Cyberdrive support was nonexistent. :Z :Z :Z
Fortunately for me I found this forum and have been a faithful LiteOn user ( 5 different drives) and have never been happier!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
A Cyberdrive with the same problem is what brought me to CD Freaks, Mismatch message, sorry to say but I think you are out of luck. I found several other people here and elsewhere with the same mismatch and Cyberdrive support was nonexistent. :Z :Z :Z
Fortunately for me I found this forum and have been a faithful LiteOn user ( 5 different drives) and have never been happier!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Noooooo! I got it working before and then I had to wipe my drive and now I can’t get it to work. Buying a new drive isn’t feasible at the moment so I’d appreciate any kind of ideas :iagree:

Have you got the chance of trying it on a mates computer? at least then it will tell you if its the drive or your system or ASPI drivers!

MATT

It’s not the drive because it worked fine in Windows ME and the system recognizes that a drive is plugged in, it just can’t do anything with it. I run ASPICHK and it says everything’s cool. I dunno what to do :confused:

here’s a thought…you say it worked fine under winME…drop it in an me box…see if it works…short of restoreing your firmware to factory spec…“which you should have made a back-up of”…perhaps your firmware/drive combo cannot be recognized under XP…if thats the case…you may well have to use that driv in an me box as a spare and shell out for a new drive…sorry…life sucks

Another thought…
Are any of your mates running 98 or ME?, if so, put the drive in their system, and see if that will let you update the firmware, which will hopefully allow it to run in XP on your system when you change it back over.

MATT

go to the lite-on form,under tools download fixflash,run,drag frimware to the icon, go to divice manger,place drive in PIO MODE,run the fixed frimwere,reboot,change dma back to auto,reboot should work
Bruce