Help! Firmware Update for MicroAdvantage 8x DVD burner

It’s never been used and was given to me for free- unfortunately I can’t burn anything on it, which is what I really need it for! I learned today that Micro Advantage is no longer in business so my hopes are dwindling rapidly… I think I need some sort of firmware update to get it rolling. I know nothing about this stuff, so if someone could help me figure what I need and where to get it, I will be eternally grateful. Seriously… eternally… that’s a long time!

It’s a Micro Advantage Super Drive DVD +/- RW, Model 8DVDRW-B13. Thank you so much!

Hi Soulstice Imagery and welcome to CDFreaks. Moved this thread to the Optical drive forum where with any luck you will get your answer. Removed your email address as this is the surest way to get spammed. People can reply to your private messaging if you have it turned on.:slight_smile:

Hi and Welcome!

Maybe the drive is dead or there is an issue with your system.
Some checks at the beginning:

• Are you able to read already recorded DVDs and CDs?
  • What kind of software were you using in your attempts to burn and what media have you tried. For proper identification, get Nero CD/DVD Speed. There is a “Disc Info” tab showing you the so-called “MID”. This might be an important information.
  • Double check the hardware installation: Jumpers and cable. Also it is worth trying to uninstall the IDE drivers as described in the both “Troubleshooting” stickies.

I think I need some sort of firmware update to get it rolling.
Not yet. If there are essential issues, firmware updates are not likely to be a solution. You may even kill the drive in that case.

It’s a Micro Advantage Super Drive DVD +/- RW, Model 8DVDRW-B13.
Aunty Google told me, that this drive might be a rebadged BTC drive*. As there is a BTC/Emprex section in the CDF forums, do a search there. Or even ask a moderator to move this thread to that section.

Michael

*) See also: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124822