Help finding my motherboard's maximum RAM

Everest says my motherboard is a VIA VT82C693A (I can see this on my motherboard too). Apollo Pro133 while crucial.com says it is a VIA VT82C692BX (I can’t find this on my motherboard) Apollo Pro Plus (http://crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=0D98434831D926C3).
I used CPU-Z and it says

model 693-596-ITE8661
chipset VIA Apollo Pro Rev. 44
Southbridge VIA VT82C596

and there’s nothing about the Northbridge.

I tried to install 3 high density 512MB SDRAM PC100 sticks, and they were all recognized as 128MB and the PC would freeze when I had all 3 of them in, but not with 2 or 1 of them. At »www.memory-up.com/memory_finders···id=27260

It says that the VIA VT82C693A can support up to 768MB. And at »www.memory-up.com/Memory/VIAChip···342.html it says the VT82C692BX supports up to 1.5GB. That’s the same model crucial.com said supports only 386MB.

So how do I tell which one is mine and which site is correct? How can I be sure of what the maximum RAM for my motherboard is?

Hi,[quote=darien95;2128147]Everest says my motherboard is a VIA VT82C693A (I can see this on my motherboard too). [/quote]This is only a part of the motherboard chipset. Additionally, it is essential to know the brand and exact model of the motherboard, that should normally be printed anywhere.

Apollo Pro133 while crucial.com says it is a VIA VT82C692BX (I can’t find this on my motherboard)
Then they are just wrong.

I used CPU-Z and it says

model 693-596-ITE8661
chipset VIA Apollo Pro Rev. 44
Southbridge VIA VT82C596

and there’s nothing about the Northbridge.
Northbridge is VT82C693A. This chipset is that old, that there is no more information on Via website :eek:

So how do I tell which one is mine and which site is correct? How can I be sure of what the maximum RAM for my motherboard is?
Since there is no official information from Via available, you should check if a mainboard manual is available. It [I]seems [/I]that mainboards with 693A/596 chipset support a maximum RAM module size of 256 MBytes.

Michael

Sounds like you have a 3 x 128MB board.
Surprised it handles high density, I would have gone for low density for better odds.

If this is a proprietary board (HP, Compaq, Dell etc) go to their site and see if a BIOS update is available.
First of course, determine yours.

Sometimes a BIOS flash on a board of this era will allow board to address more memory.
I have an old 440BX that went from 3 x 128 --> 2 x 256 after a BIOS flash.
This is very old stuff so don’t spend much here…not much return.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it’s a Jetway 993AN/AS which the manual says supports 1.5GB of RAM. And I know for sure it supports at least 386 because I had that much working in it.

A few days ago I was switching the hard drives around in it and when starting it up, the BIOS screen that detects the CPU, RAM, and drives, would appear all gray after a few seconds. These hard drives have both worked fine in this PC before. After awhile, the PC wouldn’t even power on anymore. And I can’t get it to start at all now. I tried different power cords and re-inserting the power jumper on the motherboard, but it won’t turn on. The motherboard is only 8 to 9 years old. I had just bought a fast Pentium III 1.4 Ghz processor for it. What could have gone wrong and how can I fix it?

[QUOTE=darien95;2129726]I’m not 100% sure, but I think it’s a Jetway 993AN/AS which the manual says supports 1.5GB of RAM. And I know for sure it supports at least 386 because I had that much working in it.[/QUOTE]
OK, but high density or low density ram ?

A few days ago I was switching the hard drives around in it and when starting it up, the BIOS screen that detects the CPU, RAM, and drives, would appear all gray after a few seconds. These hard drives have both worked fine in this PC before.

It would be nice if you could D/L the motherboard manual from Jetway, if it is a Jetway. There you will see the various BIOS screens w/values and settings.
Some older BIOSes don’t feature auto-detect and you have to manually enter drive values when making changes in drives.

After awhile, the PC wouldn’t even power on anymore. And I can’t get it to start at all now. I tried different power cords and re-inserting the power jumper on the motherboard, but it won’t turn on.

By this do you mean CMOS jumper ?
Just make sure that you know the RUN position and the RESET position and only move the jumper when the machine is unplugged.
Wait a few seconds then replace to RUN position.
Oh, and GROUND (earth) yourself before touching anything inside a computer case. Static electricity can kill components.

The motherboard is only 8 to 9 years old. I had just bought a fast Pentium III 1.4 Ghz processor for it. What could have gone wrong and how can I fix it?

That’s old !! Check the CMOS battery with a digital multi-tester set to 9v (you’re looking for a 3v reading)
It will be a bad battery if it’s your lucky day.
Make sure that the mobo will support that processor, just because it’s the correct socket DOES NOT mean the the board will support it.
Even on a good day it will sometimes take a BIOS flash to enable faster CPU support.
Do not fool around with flashing BIOS until the board is stable.

Yes, I mean CMOS jumper. I don’t know the RUn or RESET positon. I just put it back in the way it was. And I don’t know what a digital multi tester is?

Also, I’ve touched the inside it a lot and never grounded myself before doing it. I wasn’t really touching the motherboard when I was switching the hard drives, although the hard drives might have touched it.

I’m pretty sure I already have the latest BIOS which is from September 2000. And the PC doesn’t normally support that processor at all so I had to buy an adapter for it.

[QUOTE=darien95;2129920]Yes, I mean CMOS jumper. I don’t know the RUn or RESET positon. I just put it back in the way it was. And I don’t know what a digital multi tester is?[/QUOTE]
http://www.a1toolstore.net/servlet/the-631/Craftsman-Multimeter,-Digital,-with/Detail

Also, I’ve touched the inside it a lot and never grounded myself before doing it. I wasn’t really touching the motherboard when I was switching the hard drives, although the hard drives might have touched it.

Hopefully all is OK. Some techs use an anti-static wrist strap.
Don’t work over carpet, don’t lay electronic items on carpet.
When you see an electronic item displayed on carpet (eBay), run the other way!
http://www.provantage.com/belkin-f8e093~7BELK182.htm

I’m pretty sure I already have the latest BIOS which is from September 2000. And the PC doesn’t normally support that processor at all so I had to buy an adapter for it.

Whew! You’re trying to push this thing to a place not quite on the radar screen. Cross fingers now.
Have you tried to restart the machine with all the original components installed ?

If this is something like a Slot 1 --> Socket 370 PowerLeap, you might want to check with them for compatability with your board.

I do have the manual for it, assuming it is a Jetway 993AN/AS. I downloaded it from http://www.mobokive.org/Archive/Jetway/manual/993ASR3A.ZIP

I could not find anything about the RUN or RESET jumper settings in it though.

Recently I have got a few blue screens when starting up Windows followed by a restart. And a couple times my PC randomly restarted during Windows when installing a USB PCI card and when opening a program without a blue screen appearing first.

I have never worked with it over a carpet. It’s usually on a tile floor, but sometimes I put it on my bed.

And no, it’s not a Slot-1 to Socket 370. It has both a Slot-1 and Socket 370 FC-PGA in it already. It is an FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapter for the Socket 370.

I have put the stuff back the way it was before I switched hard drives, but it still wouldn’t start. I also tried removing the battery for a few minutes and re-installing it, and putting the jumper in the clear CMOS setting for a few seconds.

Again, check that the CMOS battery is good. This variable needs to be eliminated in your troubleshooting process.

If you don’t have the means to check it, take it to a shop and have them check it. If it’s kaput, buy a battery from the shop, they’re cheap. With a machine that old it is very likely that the batt is out of spec.

Also, since you’ve been rearranging drives, etc, etc, make sure that all your wiring connections are correct and tight.
At this point, make one change at a time and then try to restart. Keep it simple.

I don’t have the means to check it and I’m not sure what shop I’d need to go to. And would they check it for free?

[QUOTE=darien95;2130035]
I could not find anything about the RUN or RESET jumper settings in it though.[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t get any clearer than this :

Board header JP14
Pins 1 & 2 are jumpered in the Normal (Run) position and pins 2 & 3 are jumpered momentarily in the Clear CMOS (Reset) position.

Do the images of the overall board layout in the manual look like yours ??

[QUOTE=darien95;2130086]I don’t have the means to check it and I’m not sure what shop I’d need to go to. And would they check it for free?[/QUOTE]
A computer repair shop.
Yeah, they should check it for free.
The last time I needed a CMOS batt my local shop actually gave me a free, good, used one. Good shops will do that.

[QUOTE=jflan;2130091]It doesn’t get any clearer than this :

[B]Board header JP14[/B]
Pins 1 & 2 are jumpered in the Normal (Run) position and pins 2 & 3 are jumpered [B]momentarily[/B] in the Clear CMOS (Reset) position.

Do the images of the overall board layout in the manual look like yours ??[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do look like my board. And I wasn’t sure if clear CMOS was the same thing as Reset.

I do have another PC that has a similar looking battery in it. Would it be okay to test it by putting the possibly non working battery in my working PC and if it works I’ll know the battery is good? It shouldn’t turn on unless the battery is good, right?

Before changing CPU’s make sure you deal with this properly :
In fact read the whole manual cover-to-cover before making any changes.
You need also to understand CPU cooling and proper application of thermal paste.

[QUOTE=darien95;2130095]Yes, they do look like my board. And I wasn’t sure if clear CMOS was the same thing as Reset.

I do have another PC that has a similar looking batter in it. Would it be okay to test it by putting the possibly non working battery in my working PC and if it works I’ll know the battery is good? It shouldn’t turn on unless the battery is good, right?[/QUOTE]
As long as it’s a [B]known good battery[/B], why not.

I’ve put the battery from my Jetway into my Compaq and it’s working fine. I also tried my Compaq’s battery in my Jetway, but it still wouldn’t turn on.

Populate memory slot 1 only, with a stick of your old, known good, memory. Retry.
If nada, then try removing that USB PCI card. Retry.

If it still won’t start, post how far in the boot process that you are getting and describe all the components that are presently connected and trying to start with your computer.
I’m off to work, good luck.

The only things I had connected were a sound card, a video card, a 20GB hard drive, a floppy disk drive, and one stick of 128 RAM. All of these used to work fine on it. And I haven’t been getting anywhere in the boot process. The PC won’t power on at all. Nothing happens when I press the power button.

Ruled out the PSU yet?

I haven’t ruled it out yet. But I did just notice that the CPU’s fan will spin for about a second when I press the power button. Then it will stop and nothing else happens. And it won’t spin again until I unplug the power cord, re-plug it in, and press the power button. If I just press the power button several times without unplugging it, it won’t spin at all. I guess I could try switching the PSUS between my Compaq and Jetway to see if it has a problem.