Help, dust creates black spots, is it still good?

These seems like an appropriate area to post this question, if it isn’t, mods please move it to the correct area.

Using any burner & either single or dual-layer DVDR’s.

Can a speck of dust, which caused a tiny black area on the disc, still be good & ready for archiving? Will the tiny black area over time become a large black area, rendering the data unreadable?

I only ask, since this seems to be a persistent problem in my house, despite cleaning measures, and throwing away good Verbatim MIS DVD+R DL’s is no longer acceptable, due to how hard it is to find them.

My last burn turned out this way & the PI/PIF check came out good, didn’t even give a bad spike or anything, just a consistent check. Reading it back at full speed in Nero CD-DVD Speed gave a smooth line.

Any help &/or advice would be nice, thank you.

Wipe the dust, then try burning them.

You will not know the answer before you have tried it…

[QUOTE=chef;1970862]Wipe the dust, then try burning them.

You will not know the answer before you have tried it…[/QUOTE]

I keep a can of compressed air at the ready, and clean off any specs of dust that’s on the media, also on the drive tray, but that just isn’t enough.

After the burn, a spec of dust, a tiny black spot. Doesn’t happen at all to the single layer, mostly just to the dual-layer. I usually end up throwing away 1-3 discs per 20-pack, due to the dust problem.

I’ve also gone to a clean room at work & asked a friend to clean the inside of the drive, got it home, everything was dust free, burned a bunch of dual-layers, and one of them ends up with the dust spec that leaves the black mark.