Help creating Bootable CD/DVD's with extra Content

vbimport

I have Nero Burning ROM 15. I can create a bootable CD/DVD with a Win 98 SE boot floppy image. But I can’t seem to get disc when booted to show extra content I have placed on that disc using Nero.

I have the boot floppy image, but add Norton Ghost DOS (works from command line with NTFS drives), Norton Commander, QEdit and a wide variety of MS DOS and other programs and utilities in the Nero project pane.

The disc burns fine, but when I boot it only sees the content from the boot floppy, not any of the other files.

Can you please help me to figure way to see all content recognized when booting to the CD/DVD?

Thank you for helping.

OK, long time, I assume that you are using DOS, if so you have to have an AUTOEXE file on the CD to run a menu program after boot, that will show the other files. Maybe I am way out in left field if I am not reading your question correctly

Marty

The problem is that none of the other files that I put in the project window show up. Only the files that were on the original boot floppy, even though all the other files were burned onto the CD/DVD

Is the boot floppy an image file; e.g. .iso?

I have tried files from Bootdisk.com and also created my own from a Windows 98 SE boot floppy disk I put into one of my machines.

All the files from the floppy or the image are present when I boot to the CD/DVD. It is only the files that Nero had in the project window that did burn to the disc, that I cannot see.

If you are burning a bootable image file, try adding the additional files that you want on the boot disc to the image file with an archive manager [both Peazip and HaoZip can do so and I would assume that 7zip and most other archive utilities can do so as well] and then just burn the altered image file with ImgBurn (or any other image/.iso burning program of your choice).

[QUOTE=philamber;2726469]If you are burning a bootable image file, try adding the additional files that you want on the boot disc to the image file with an archive manager [both Peazip and HaoZip can do so and I would assume that 7zip and most other archive utilities can do so as well] and then just burn the altered image file with ImgBurn (or any other image/.iso burning program of your choice).[/QUOTE]

I will try this. Thank you for helping. I will post results.

By the way, can WinRAR do this also?

Subzero, you have not really said, are you actually booting up in DOS, if so do you have a file called AUTOEXE.BAT on your FLOPPY/CD. You say you are using a WIN 98SE machine, this could also indicate that you are booting up into Windows. If you are going into Win 98 then the files have to already be on your desktop for WIN 98 to see them, If you are booting up in DOS then you have to run an autoexe.bat file for the file names to show on the screen.

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2726483]Subzero, you have not really said, are you actually booting up in DOS, if so do you have a file called AUTOEXE.BAT on your FLOPPY/CD. You say you are using a WIN 98SE machine, this could also indicate that you are booting up into Windows. If you are going into Win 98 then the files have to already be on your desktop for WIN 98 to see them, If you are booting up in DOS then you have to run an autoexe.bat file for the file names to show on the screen.

Marty[/QUOTE]

Booting into DOS via Windows 98 SE floppy disk image.

The disc boots successfully. It works fine except that the files I drag and drop in the Nero interface do not show up when I type DIR, for instance. What I want is ALL the files to show up, both from the boot floppy image file and those added by Nero. That is not happening.

[QUOTE=philamber;2726469]If you are burning a bootable image file, try adding the additional files that you want on the boot disc to the image file with an archive manager [both Peazip and HaoZip can do so and I would assume that 7zip and most other archive utilities can do so as well] and then just burn the altered image file with ImgBurn (or any other image/.iso burning program of your choice).[/QUOTE]

I have tried this. PeaZip can open the archive “BootImage.ima” file but not write to it / update contents of it.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2726484]Booting into DOS via Windows 98 SE floppy disk image.

The disc boots successfully. It works fine except that the files I drag and drop in the Nero interface do not show up when I type DIR, for instance. What I want is ALL the files to show up, both from the boot floppy image file and those added by Nero. That is not happening.[/QUOTE]

Windows 98 SE boots to MS-DOS 7.1 which is not compatible with NTFS file system. Since you used Nero Burning Rom 15 (compatible with Windows XP and higher) the Nero files were created using NTFS file system. This is why you can see them on the disc in Windows XP,Vista,Win 7 or 8, but not when you boot to Win 98 SE MS-DOS.

The files would have to be created as FAT32 or converted. The DIR command for MS-DOS 7.1 will not see a NTFS file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

You need to load CD-ROM drivers in your boot-diskette image.

I have used the following lines in CONFIG.SYS:

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

and the following line in AUTOEXEC.BAT in order to mount the CD-ROM drive as T:\ :

LH MSCDEX /D:mscd001 /L:T

You will need the *.sys files mentioned in CONFIG.SYS of course. Only one or some of them is needed IIRC but I no longer remember which is used under what circumstances.

BTW the filesystem on the CD is neither FAT nor NTFS but rather ISO9660, but it cannot be accessed unless the boot-image loads CD drivers.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2726503]You need to load CD-ROM drivers in your boot-diskette image.

I have used the following lines in CONFIG.SYS:

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

and the following line in AUTOEXEC.BAT in order to mount the CD-ROM drive as T:\ :

LH MSCDEX /D:mscd001 /L:T

You will need the *.sys files mentioned in CONFIG.SYS of course. Only one or some of them is needed IIRC but I no longer remember which is used under what circumstances.

BTW the filesystem on the CD is neither FAT nor NTFS but rather ISO9660, but it cannot be accessed unless the boot-image loads CD drivers.[/QUOTE]

If I can remember, aren’t those drivers on the boot disk and loaded at boot time.

He can read the cd from MS-DOS with the dir command after it boots.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2726512]If I can remember, aren’t those drivers on the boot disk and loaded at boot time.[/QUOTE] From the description in the first post it doesn’t sound as if the CD drivers are loaded.

He can read the cd from MS-DOS with the dir command after it boots.
Apparently, the original poster can only read the content of the virtual floppy disk loaded by the BIOS from the boot image.

The CD is accessible. The original contents of the boot floppy are available on the CD when I type DIR.

It is only the added files that are not able to be seen. It is those added files that I wish to run.

It’s possible that the files are available, not on the virtual floppy drive A: but rather on another drive (C:, D:, …depending on mountable drives on the harddrive), and that you didn’t try listing files on the correct drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.

Do you not have a usb flash drive capability to transfer files between systems? It would be much easier, if that is what you are trying to do.

Windows 98 SE should be able to read the files on that cd. Have you tryed that.

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do by booting to MS-DOS.

I don’t know if this will help but I have a CD that has the 98 boot & some more files on it. I have had it a long time & I don’t remember exactly how I did it. I took a look at it with Nero InfoTool & it showed it was made with MagicISO.
The files can only be accessed from DOS by booting with it. If I try to view it with Windows Explorer no files are there. Meaning the window is blank but the disc shows it has data on it by showing size. I looked at it with XP, Vista , &Windows 7.
I may have a look at it with my 98 OS but I didn’t have time today’ I will post if that makes the files visible.
In DOS dir displayed them with no problem. Interesting the command prompt was A:> . Even though it was in DVD drive D:

You need to create an MS-DOS boot disk as explained in the following:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootablecd

I have used this and it creates a boot sector on a cd/dvd which displays a menu that leads to your added files so you can run them from MS-DOS.

It loads the cdrom driver and puts your added files on a virtual cd drive. It is very easy to use if you follow the directions.

When I downloaded the hiren’s boot CD I looked for some more information.
I found this link that might be some help:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=2844;&#top
What the first poster did was take one program from the hiren’s & create a boot disc with just it. Posting the same could be applied to more programs .