Help Creating BK of UT2K3

Ok how do I know if I have a valid BWA file and how do I know if the image is correct…

I have tried with my Lite-on48125(vs08) and my LT163D, both at 1X and 4X to read/create image and BWA. I followed the instructions in the manual, but I really don’t have a good comparision to verify where the issue is.
Also, from version 4.2.2.30 burn the image was readable but not startable; but from version 4.2.3.14 the same image burned but completely unreadable(0 byte track).

I have tried each of the above with and without subcodes(even though not needed); I use DAO-PW for the burn.

<U><B>No subs TOC</u></b>
CD TOC file, created by BlindRead 4.2.3.14 at 11/17/2002 6:03:51 PM

CD Volume name : “UT2003_CD1”

CD tracks list :

1 Session(s) - 1 Track(s) (1 Data,0 Audio)

Track 01 - MODE 1 - 00:00:00 (000000) to 72:21:17 (325592)

BWI file size: 730 MB (766,147,536 bytes)
BWA File Size: 25.4 KB (26,056 bytes)
BWT file Size: 689 bytes (689 bytes)

<B><U>WITH SUBS</B></U>
CD TOC file, created by BlindRead 4.2.2.12 at 11/15/2002 7:16:41 PM

CD Volume name : “UT2003_CD1”

CD tracks list :

1 Session(s) - 1 Track(s) (1 Data,0 Audio)

Track 01 - MODE 1 - 00:00:00 (000000) to 72:21:17 (325592)

BWA: 25.4 KB (26,056 bytes)
BWI : 730 MB (766,147,536 bytes)
BWS: 29.8 MB (31,271,328 bytes)
BWT: 704 bytes (704 bytes)

THIS is the Event Log From the burn:

----- Image verification started -----
HD image is OK
Sector: Bad headers 0 - Bad Edc 0 - Weak 0 - Status 1
File systems: Volumes 2 - files 1272 - folders 70
Volume size 651186 boot 0 Vol ID UT2003_CD1 - 9/19/2002 8:36:00 PM Status 1
----- Image verification ended -----
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Patin-couffin version 8 in use
Blindwrite Version 4.2.2.30
----- CD DEVICE INFO START OF REPORT -----
CAUTION : Using local data for CD writer.
Cd Unit report started at 11/15/2002 7:20:27 PM

VendorID : "LITE-ON "
UnitId : "LTR-48125W "
FwID : “VS08”
FwDate : “”
Drivers : 00000000/00000000/0000000000000014
Speeds : 48/48/12/24
Bsize : 2048
Flags : 00010

end of CD Unit report
----- CD DEVICE INFO END OF REPORT -----
Unit 1:0:0 - LITE-ON LTR-48125W VS08 [F]
Speed x4
HD image “UT2003_CD1.BWT”
Writing mode : DAO PW
Physical CD descriptor (BWA) file found.
3199 dual sectors will be added to recreate lower sector densities
Sectors read : 328995
Sectors built: 0
CD is complete

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58309

Is this your problem too, If yes, that makes three of us and that means the blindwrite team needs to get to work.

I DL’ed the BWA that was posted in th root sticky.
It looks real close to the one my burner made…
the Problem is that I burn it and I get a cd coaster that has 0 bytes on it…(but it has been burned to end.)TOC problem?

If I remove the bwa from the folder I get all files on the cd… but of course no Securerom copy…

I made a UT2003 backup (including BWA) that runs and installs with my unhacked Lite-On 40125S and Blindwrite 4.2.1

There is something wrong with the newer versions of Blindwrite… for now it’s only version 4.2.1 that works with Secureom new and liteon burners…

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Brajg
[B]There is something wrong with the newer versions of Blindwrite… for now it’s only version 4.2.1 that works with Secureom new and liteon burners…

:rolleyes: [/B]

So Blindwrite’s new version 4.2.3 won’t work? :confused:

Not if you have a LiteOn reader.

Try version 4.2.1 instead. Works like a charm.

:bigsmile:

ok so is it the reading of the BWA file for litey that is the issue?

Or the image file creation? Or the burn of both…

I used my old Image file(421 created) and the BWA that I DL’ed from FP and I get the same screwed 0 byte Disk. I think I will go back to 421 and try from scratch…

BTW I might need to DL 421… not sure I have it lying around anymore… :confused:

It’s the image that is non working…

When they implemented the Safedisc 2.8 capabilities in Blindwrite Suit they destroyed the Securom function.

:frowning:

Well the 4.2.1.11 version worked… I created an image and a bwa(without any dps under the curve:bigsmile: )

Installed and played fine on diff hardware.

I made a perfect working copy of UT2003 (install and play) using V4.2.3…

The BWA graph did look a little spikey (downwards) though.

here it is, a step-by-step tutorial for backing up ut2003. blindread/blindwrite latest version is needed. a demo can be downloaded at www.blindread.com. being a newbie, i spent several nights after work trying to backup the 3 disk set i bought for $48. not to mention the 15 cdr’s i wasted with various software and configurations (boy was my girl pissed since they were hers, i ran out). my son, 3 yrs old, who believe it or not began playing unreal at 2, cannot get of my pc !!! after i noticed several scratches on the original disk 1 which is needed everytime to begin the game, so here we go:

Read Portion: Extract the contents of the cd into an image. (orange arrow from cdrom to disk). When blindread begins follow and apply the following check marks.

1. make make sure you click on general settings, test cd layer access, and that the vso driver is used. if prompted to restart do so, if not go back to main menu.

1.5 next select dump image from cdrom.

1. select your writer from the drop down list

2. check the box with extract subcodes only!!!

3. leave the default location for the image file which would be in the vso/blindread directory. IMPORTANT!!! also leave the default name of the disc as the image name ex: UT2003_CD1.

4. make sure #1 NIBBLE is selected ***

5. check the box with adapt speed.

6. i wrote and read at 4x, thats the speed i recommend.

7. check the box with eject disk if you wish

at this point, it will begin to make the image. errors will occur at the end of the process, around 15 seconds remaining, dont be alarmed, its ok.

NEXT STEP IS TO MAKE A .BWA FILE

1. start bwabuilder application. (cannot be lauched thru the desktop icon, but rather by clicking start/all programs/blindwrite suite/physical cd characteristic dumper).

2. make sure the drive with the disk is selected, set for 4x, and the default 324800.

3. click start mesure, when complete if not given the option to save, click on file and save bwa.

4. !!!URGENT!!! when the process is complete, you will be given the opportunity to save the file, BE SURE TO NAME It THE SAME AS THE IMAGE ex: UT2003_CD1 and no extension because the application will give it the .bwa. ALSO IMPORTANT, the file has to be saved in the same directory where you save the image.

WRITE PROCESS, YOUR ALMOST DONE!!!

1. lauch blindwrite, turquios colored arrow pointing from HD to cdrom

2. click start cd writing wizard

3. be sure you writer is selected, on the information tab, blindwrite will give you information about you drive (max read speed, max write speed, etc) the application will not allow you alter any information under that tab.

4. click on advance. !!!URGENT!!! uncheck all the boxes except DAO pw-it should be the only one with a check mark next to it.

5. i am not sure if your drives characteristics matched mine. the max read, write, and suggested speed were at 48, the buffer size was set at 2048, with rewrite at 10. i would suggest going along with the default settings that blindwrite suggests!!!

6. locate the image. and click start, it will verify the image, simply click next when finish.

7. last step, make sure DAO pw mode is selected, at 4x, and that the box next to USE BWA FILE IF AVAILABLE IS CHECKED!!! along with the other two boxes. CLICK GO. YOUR DONE.

Also, it is recommended that you run your copy from a cdrom or cdreader-not on writers. Dont ask me why, i read that on the net and for some reason, it’s true. I tried running it on my writer and it would not start up, just spin. You might try to use insektor v3 from gameworld.

I hope this tutorial helped, I wish I could have came across something similar when I was trying to backup my disks. It could have same me alot of hours!!! If you need any additional tips or advice, feel free to email me at ppedrog321@cs.com

:bow:

Originally posted by pfitz
[B]

1. locate the image. and click start, it will verify the image, simply click next when finish.

:bow: [/B]

Which image? The bwa, bwi, or bwt file?

The .BWT

Should I readwith my burner, or my cdrom?
Sony CDU5211
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-208B

Also do I use the same bwa file for burning all 3 UT2003 cd’s?

You only need the bwa file for disc 1. The other 2 cds you can just copy with nero’s cd-copy function or any other software of your choice.

I just want to add that pfitz’s backup instruction works with my LG GCE-8400B (with recently released firmware v1.04). I followed his instructions step by step. The only gripe I have about my copy is that loading the game takes a few minutes (I read it off my Aopen 52x CD-ROM drive), and I can’t install the game with it. By the way, I used Blindwrite v4.2.5 and made the image file using my LG CD-writer.

photonics,

It sounds like you did the same thing like me. Or, I did the same thing as you. :slight_smile:

Have a look here at the other thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59592

Originally posted by pfitz
[B]here it is, a step-by-step tutorial for backing up ut2003.
…<snip>…
7. i wrote and read at 4x, thats the speed i recommend.

…<snip>…
2. make sure the drive with the disk is selected, set for 4x, and the default 324800.

…<snip>…
7. last step, make sure DAO pw mode is selected, at 4x, and that the box next to USE BWA FILE IF AVAILABLE IS CHECKED!!! along with the other two boxes. CLICK GO. YOUR DONE.

:bow: [/B]

I found pfitz’s tutorial very helpful, if only to encourage me. I was able to make install/run backups of my:
UT2003
Arx Fatalis
NOLF2

For some reader/writer combos, the restriction to 4x (quoted above) may be unnecessary. I ran mine at ‘Max’ which turned out to be 24x for all operations, and the copies work fine. :bigsmile: Except for the speed, I followed pfitz’s tutorial, adapted to the newer BW version.

BW Suite version: 4.2.8.41
Reader: Toshiba DVD SD-M1402
Writer: LG GCE-8320B

Thanks to all, especially pfitz, and the Moderators, and Iapinou and the BlindWrite team. :bow: :bow: :bow:

— Kodiak (new BlindWrite registered user)