Help connecting sound signal from DVI video card to LCDTV

vbimport

Hi,
I gave my old PC to my dad and I would like him to be able to watch Youtube videos on his Panasonic Viera TC-L32C5 32" 720p HD LCD Television. The video card from the PC is an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro.
I have attached the pictures from the output panels of both devices.

I realize that there are DVI to HDMI cables out there which can take care of the video. However, I would like to be able to transfer the sound signal from the computer to the TV as well. Basically, using the remote from the TV and not using the computer settings to control the sound.
Is it at all possible considering the video card doesn’t have an audio output?
Do I need to use an Hdmi To Dvi-D Cable With Audio pictured below?
If so, will I need to constantly switch the cables when using the PC speakers and the TV speakers?

Thanks.

That cable is the easiest way to get to where you want to go. Along with an 1/8" male to 1/8" x2 female headphone splitter cable so you can keep your computer speakers plugged in too.

For volume control, the TV remote should work as normal.

But for controlling the computer while in front of the TV, you may want to add something like this to the mix. Or at least a wireless mouse with sufficient range.

You can use DVD to HDMI cable form video. For audio, there is a green and blue connector on sound card of the computer. It looks like a digital audio IN and OUT. check that from computer specifications. On TV there is a Digital audio Out and Audio IN, if that one is a digital audio IN, than you can use that to connect to your computer. Check that connector in TV manual. If that Audio in is only analogue, than you have to use a splitter to connect to analogue stereo on computer. In either case you will be able to use TV speaker control to adjust the sound.
With a splitter you do not have to switch any cables later.
Cables you are showing have audio connector attached, that connector is for analogue audio. You can use that on TV, if that Audio IN is analogue. The other side (DVI), you will have to get splitters on a stereo R and L channel from computer with one female stereo connector to plug DVI side to it, for computer and TV speakers to be connected all the time.

Thanks for the clear replies deanwitty and CDuncle.
So I will be getting the DVI to HDMI w/ sound cable pictured on my post above.

If I get the male to 2 female Y audio splitter, does it imply that I will be able to listen to my PC speakers when doing PC tasks and to my TV speakers when I am setting my TV to PC/AUX option? How will the splitter “know” to transfer the sound to the right device if there is no switch on the splitter?

Thanks.

If I get the male to 2 female Y audio splitter, does it imply that I will be able to listen to my PC speakers when doing PC tasks and to my TV speakers when I am setting my TV to PC/AUX option? How will the splitter “know” to transfer the sound to the right device if there is no switch on the splitter?

This is correct.
Splitter will not decide anything. It will just split sound signal.
I do not think that you will be able to use PC/Aux option since you are using HDMI input on TV. For this setup you may have to use AUDIO IN port on TV.
You better check TV manual to see the settings. Either way, if TV is OFF, when working on computer, TV speakers will not work either.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2668560]This is correct.
Splitter will not decide anything. It will just split sound signal.
I do not think that you will be able to use PC/Aux option since you are using HDMI input on TV. For this setup you may have to use AUDIO IN port on TV.
You better check TV manual to see the settings. Either way, if TV is OFF, when working on computer, TV speakers will not work either.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I forgot about the HDMI options available.
Also, I found out I can buy an “DVI Male to HDMI Female M-F Adapter Converter for HDTV” pictured below, as I can then just purchase a regular 10ft HDMI cable, which will be useful in the future, in case I find a cheap HDMI supporting video card. I assume it will give me similar results as the HDMI to DVI-D cable…
However, what options for audio will I have then, considering I will be losing on the sound cable that was part of the HDMI to DVI-D cable?

Thanks again for any replies.

DVI connector does not support sound it is only for digital video. No matter what you do you will need splitter for sound to make a connection to your TV.
Adapter you show is fine for your connection from Computer-DVI to HDMI Cable and than HDMI cable to TV. I use the same in my setup.

[QUOTE=kosmik;2668534]Thanks for the clear replies deanwitty and CDuncle.
So I will be getting the DVI to HDMI w/ sound cable pictured on my post above.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I checked the specs for the TV, and fortunately it has the HDMI video input linked to the 1/8" mini-jack sound input. This is why I recommended that you use the cable you had pictured. With the Y-splitter, you simply leave the computer audio output to “speakers” and turn down/off your computer speakers when using with the TV. You will be viewing the computer on the TV on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2.

If you use a DVI>HDMI adapter with a separate HDMI cable, you will also have to invest in an 1/8" male stereo to 1/8" male stereo cable long enough to reach from computer to TV(and the Y-splitter).

Deanwitty, checked TV specks for you. I think it is straightforward now.
It is up to you what video cable are you going to use.
For sound, check this site, they show cables you will need to make a connection.
1x Y-MPS-2p
2x Y-P-2P
1 or 2x CMR-203R( one for TV one for computer speakers if you do not have one which will fit to Y solitter)
These are just samples for you to see what you need.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/Audio-Y-Cables-Y-Cables.xhtml?gclid=CNXuvvyflbQCFQVgMgodh3QAMA

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2668613]I checked the specs for the TV, and fortunately it has the HDMI video input linked to the 1/8" mini-jack sound input. This is why I recommended that you use the cable you had pictured. With the Y-splitter, you simply leave the computer audio output to “speakers” and turn down/off your computer speakers when using with the TV. You will be viewing the computer on the TV on HDMI 1 or HDMI 2.

If you use a DVI>HDMI adapter with a separate HDMI cable, you will also have to invest in an 1/8" male stereo to 1/8" male stereo cable long enough to reach from computer to TV(and the Y-splitter).[/QUOTE]

I am more inclined for the adapter and not the cable because DVI-D w/Audio to HDMI w/Audio cables are quite hard to find and they cost $15, while a DVI to HDMI computer adapter costs $2 plus another $5 for 10ft HDMI cable…
With that option, what audio cable will I require to be able to control the sound on the TV remote when streaming videos from my computer to TV?

Thanks.

All you need is the 1/8"(3.5mm) male stereo to male stereo cable long enough to reach from computer>TV and the Y-splitter to allow you to keep the computer speakers plugged in. You will be plugging the splitter into the green port you were using for the speakers.

This type of cable. Whatever length you require.

You simply need to set the volume level on the computer to a level that sounds about the same as the other sources you are viewing on the TV, and the TV volume control will control the audio level coming out of it’s own speakers as normal.

As I mentioned, to control anything on the computer itself while viewing from the TV, you will need something like a wireless mouse or computer remote control or wireless keyboard. Unless, of course, you are placing the computer near enough to the TV viewing area to reach with corded keyboard/mouse. Once you have the computer hooked up to the big screen, you may find that you’d like to use it that way for everything :).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2668728]All you need is the 1/8"(3.5mm) male stereo to male stereo cable long enough to reach from computer>TV and the Y-splitter to allow you to keep the computer speakers plugged in. You will be plugging the splitter into the green port you were using for the speakers.

This type of cable. Whatever length you require.

You simply need to set the volume level on the computer to a level that sounds about the same as the other sources you are viewing on the TV, and the TV volume control will control the audio level coming out of it’s own speakers as normal.

As I mentioned, to control anything on the computer itself while viewing from the TV, you will need something like a wireless mouse or computer remote control or wireless keyboard. Unless, of course, you are placing the computer near enough to the TV viewing area to reach with corded keyboard/mouse. Once you have the computer hooked up to the big screen, you may find that you’d like to use it that way for everything :).[/QUOTE]

Got it.
Big thanks to you and CDuncle for the explanations!

[QUOTE=kosmik;2668854]Got it.
Big thanks to you and CDuncle for the explanations![/QUOTE]

You’re welcome :flower:

I hope you stop back and let us know how it works out?