Help: Code 42 Duplicate Device

vbimport

I have 2 of the same DVD-RW drives on my computer. They are the Microadvantage 16DDVDRW-A13. I updated the firmware on both of them to 7.0 and I am getting this code 42 error.

“Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)”

Before the flash both were recognized which I think is becuase only one of them had the updated firmware while the other had version 5.0. Becuase of this error neither of the drives are recognized now. If I disable the device in the device manager it will recognize one of the drives. If I disconnect one of them the one drive works fine. Is there anyway to get windows to have both of these drives with the same firmware? If not, can you point me to a database where I can get a different firmware version (I cannot find an archive on microadvantage’s website)? Thanks

Don’t know if this will help but you can try to remove the Primary and Secondary IDE channels. Reboot and windows will reload the drivers.