Help closing an open BenQ DW1620

vbimport

Hi, I opened my opened my Benq DW1620 to do some cleaining on the inside, however I can not close it again. There is a part that won’t let me put again the top part of the case. Someone knows how to close it or how do I put again the top part into the drive? Look at this picture, it’s marked in red the “part” that won’t let me close the drive. Thanks a lot.

After figuring out the drive has to be inserted upside down because in this way I could insert the drive and it wasn’t locked by this tab. I have to say that this a complicated drive, too many secures and it has a protective metal part above the lens, to prevent dust (i think). However I can not retire this protective metal part, it has an special screwdriver hole.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2127049]I opened my opened my Benq DW1620 to do some cleaining on the inside…[/QUOTE]

:doh:

[QUOTE=negritude;2127120]:doh:[/QUOTE]I only suggest doing this when the drive is presumably dead. If the drive won’t read or write after trouble shooting and warranty has expired then why not? Why throw it in the trash if you maybe just need to clean the laser lens.

I brought my Plextor 760A back to life cleaning the lens. Plextors are easy to take apart.

@juancdg if it came apart fine it should go back together fine. I haven’t had a BenQ apart so maybe someone else can help you.

Note:
People please don’t take your drive apart if nothing is wrong with it.

[QUOTE=Bob;2127318]I only suggest doing this when the drive is presumably dead. If the drive won’t read or write after trouble shooting and warranty has expired then why not? Why throw it in the trash if you maybe just need to clean the laser lens.

I brought my Plextor 760A back to life cleaning the lens. Plextors are easy to take apart.

@juancdg if it came apart fine it should go back together fine. I haven’t had a BenQ apart so maybe someone else can help you.

Note:
People please don’t take your drive apart if nothing is wrong with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bought a Plextor 760A on e bay and I was having trouble reading discs, I cleaned the lens and it’s OK now. I read some post of you Bob on how to clean it.

The BenQ, it was out of warranty, since it was an old stock, and after several use I thought that it was time to do some cleaning, but this drive is so picky to close it again, but hopefully I discovered how to close it.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2127378]Yeah I bought a Plextor 760A on e bay and I was having trouble reading discs, I cleaned the lens and it’s OK now. I read some post of you Bob on how to clean it.

The BenQ, it was out of warranty, since it was an old stock, and after several use I thought that it was time to do some cleaning, but this drive is so picky to close it again, but hopefully I discovered how to close it.[/QUOTE]Well you have more experience with BenQ’s than i do now :bigsmile: i hope you have it figured out too :slight_smile:

I seem to be getting a hard time from others since i suggest taking an out of warranty and probably dead drive apart to clean the laser lens. If it’s going in the trash then what does a person have to lose…

[QUOTE=Bob;2127385]I seem to be getting a hard time from others since i suggest taking an out of warranty and probably dead drive apart to clean the laser lens. If it’s going in the trash then what does a person have to lose…[/QUOTE]

My complaint about taking a drive apart to clean the laser lens is that you don’t need to take a drive apart to clean the laser lens. I’ll have to start posting my experiences and recommendations for drive maintenance without the overkill of disassembly.

[QUOTE=negritude;2130898]My complaint about taking a drive apart to clean the laser lens is that you don’t need to take a drive apart to clean the laser lens. I’ll have to start posting my experiences and recommendations for drive maintenance without the overkill of disassembly.[/QUOTE]
Does cleaning the drive with a disc cleaner work?

[QUOTE=negritude;2130898]My complaint about taking a drive apart to clean the laser lens is that you don’t need to take a drive apart to clean the laser lens. I’ll have to start posting my experiences and recommendations for drive maintenance without the overkill of disassembly.[/QUOTE]

Please do share. I’m interested. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=negritude;2130898]My complaint about taking a drive apart to clean the laser lens is that you don’t need to take a drive apart to clean the laser lens. I’ll have to start posting my experiences and recommendations for drive maintenance without the overkill of disassembly.[/QUOTE]Go for it negritude. I hope it doesn’t involve one of those discs with a brush on it that swing around wildly and leave those little bristles from the brush inside the drive.

I think taking apart a drive brings out the kid in me just to see what’s inside. Pics of the inside are just not the same to me.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2130971]Does cleaning the drive with a disc cleaner work?[/QUOTE]I would not trust them. I don’t like foreign material in my drives.