Help choosing the right pc!

vbimport

[B]I have been trying to decide on a new pc for a long time, I will be using it for mainly adobe suite programs such as photoshop, illustrator, Dreamweaver and flash as well as occasional cinema 4d uses and web design. But could really use some help!

However I’m on a bit of a budget (around£450-£500)

I was thinking of getting a computer with these specs:[/B]

Case Built In
Venom VE10 Gaming Case With Side Window and Blue LED Fan

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97P-D3

Motherboard Expansion Slots
1x PCI Express x16, 1x PCI Express x4, 2x PCI Express x1, 2x PCI

CPU Type
Intel I5 4th Generation Haswell

CPU Model
Intel Core I5 4690K 3.5ghz 6mb Cache 4th Gen Haswell

CPU Socket
Intel 1150

CPU Clock Speed
3.5 Ghz

CPU Max Turbo Clock Speed
3.9 Ghz

CPU Cooler
Standard Intel Cooler

Memory
8GB DDR3 1600mhz Performance Ram

Hard Drive Size
120gb Kingston V300 Solid State Drive

Optical Drive
Samsung 24x Sata DVD Writer

Graphics Card
Onboard Graphics

PSU Size
Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze Certified 600w Power Supply

Operating System
No Operating System

Front / Top Case Ports
2x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone Jack, 1x Microphone Jack

Rear Panel Connections
1x PS/2 keyboard port, 1x PS/2 mouse port, 1x serial port, 1x HDMI port, 2x USB 3.0/2.0 ports, 4x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1x RJ-45 port, 3x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

[B]However I was thinking of adding a few things to it:

-2x 2tb hard drives as I need lots of storage.
-2x8 gb 10600r Samsung ram (so that would give me 24gb) can I mix this ram with the ram the already comes with the computer?- then a graphics card but I have no idea what sort! I have this Asus Radeon vx5450 1gb at home, but I’m guessing ill need a better one?? and if so which one??

If someone could help me decide if this setup would be suitable for my needs and recommend a cheap graphics card that will optimise performance with these specs please get back to me! I would be so grateful, I have a headache from looking at so many different computer parts!

thanks

burtle

[/B]
edit:
would any of these cards work and be up to the task?
Asus Nvidia GeForge GT610 2GB Video Memory HDMI Graphics Video Card DX11 GPU -£40

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2GB Graphics Card -£35

In general, its usually better to match ram from the get go. This is why manufacturers sell ram in kits. But adding more ram for Photoshop is also a good idea, I just don’t know if you need 24GB. If the computer you are buying has two 4GB chips, I might try to buy the same make and model and put into the two empty slots, raising ram to 16GB.

That said, the two DDR 3 1600mhz 8GB chips you are looking at will probably work if they are the same speed as the ones originally found in the computer. The computer will default to the slowest speed ram for all the chips, so it doesn’t help to have faster chips combined with slower ones. That applies for all timing specs of the memory.

You don’t need much of a video card for Photoshop, but I’d try for one with at least a 256bit interface. That will jump the price a fair amount.

http://robertoblake.com/blog/2014/01/best-video-graphics-card-photoshop/

Why two 2TB drives for storage? Cheaper to get one 4TB over here in the US.

Unlikely that it would accept 10600r RAM - the “R” is registered (for server systems) - general PC systems use unbuffered “U” RAM.

If you mix RAM (of supported type) you will get the worst settings of each … the lowest of the two speeds and the slowest of the two timings.

So if it’s DDR3 1600 CL10, then try to add 1600 CL10 (1866 CL10 would also do) - if it’s CL9, then try to get CL9.

Also, the Kingston V300 SSD is not that great - got a good reputation to start with, but then they switched to slower flash chips - nobody has forgiven them for that bait and switch!

Ah, good catch Matth. I didn’t see that he mentioned 10600r…just skipped right over it. Registered ram probably won’t work in that motherboard.

• The CPU looks fine to me for this kind of tasks, but I would buy a cooler with heatpipes. Stock coolers make the CPU suffocate :). Even if you don’t overclock it at all, is better to have a real cooler, not stock.

• RAM is better to be the same. Generally is a bad idea to combine different types of RAM because you get slower performance in the best case scenario, and system instability, crashes and BSODs in the worst.

• I personally do not like Kingston SSD’s. The best and most stable are probably Intel and Samsung right now, but other brands like OCZ, Corsair, Patriot, Sandisk, etc… are good too. Not Kingston (just my opinion).

• For addon HDD’s I think the best right now are Toshiba, followed by Western Digital, but only some HDD’s of their lineup are good (stay away of WD Green and the others optimized for Audio/Video). Seagate tend to either work well, or break in a few months. They break a lot.

• A cheap graphics card can be anything recent really. The ones that can help with rendering cost a fortune anyway and if you don’t play games is no point to invest in an expensive graphics card.

Here is an example of a gamer’s computer I recently built for a friend. Is way too expensive for what you stated, but you can look on it for inspiration:

2015.10.13	Intel i7-6700K, DDR4

001 MB ASUS Z170-A
002 CPU Intel Skylake, Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz box
003 Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver. 2
004 Therm paste Arctic Cooling MX-4 4 grame
005 RAM HyperX Savage Black 16GB DDR4 2400MHz CL12 Dual Channel Kit
006 SVGA Sapphire Radeon R9 380 NITRO OC 4GB DDR5 256-bit
007 SSD M2 Transcend MTS600 128GB SATA-III M.2 2260
008 HDD Toshiba MC04ACAxxxE 2TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 128MB
014 Blu-Ray Writer Pioneer BDR-209EBK, BD-XL
015 Sound card onboard
016 LAN onboard
017 CASE Lian li PC-K7B
018 PSU Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W (yes, it can carry the Radeon R9 380 witohut issues)
019 Keyboard Benq
020 Mouse Cooler Master STORM - Mizar - SGM-4005-KLLW1 gamer
021 UPS APC BK650EI 650VA
029 OS Win10x64 pifled
030 Monitor LG 27MU67-B

Thankyou to everyone who has replied!
Its really helped my search!

and i’ve decided to avoid mixing ram speeds!

and TyrAntilles wow! wish I could afford a pc like that!

Case Built In

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97P-D3

CPU Type
Intel I5 4th Generation Haswell

[QUOTE]
CPU Model
Intel Core I5 4690K 3.5ghz 6mb Cache 4th Gen Haswell

CPU Cooler
Standard Intel Cooler

Well… The question is. are you planning on upgrading the CPU cooler later?
If yes then stay with the 4690K, if not then maybe you should look for a non K processor and and maybe a more affordable motherboard.
Invest or money to get something else?
1.RAM
2. A better GPU
3.Larger and faster SSD

Memory
8GB DDR3 1600mhz Performance Ram

Prices of DDR3 are very low, maybe you can get 2x8GB? That would be great for photoshop.[/QUOTE]

Hard Drive Size
120gb Kingston V300 Solid State Drive

No idea who much this drive will cost, but if you can afford it get a 240GB drive, maybe f crucial BX100, or an OZC arc? much faster drives that the V300 and you should have more than enough room for what ever you need to install.

Optical Drive
Samsung 24x Sata DVD Writer

Graphics Card
Onboard Graphics

PSU Size
Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze Certified 600w Power Supply

Operating System
No Operating System

Front / Top Case Ports
2x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone Jack, 1x Microphone Jack

Rear Panel Connections
1x PS/2 keyboard port, 1x PS/2 mouse port, 1x serial port, 1x HDMI port, 2x USB 3.0/2.0 ports, 4x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1x RJ-45 port, 3x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

However I was thinking of adding a few things to it:

-2x 2tb hard drives as I need lots of storage.

If you are not going to use them in RAID1 I would also suggest one 3 or 4TB drive.

-2x8 gb 10600r Samsung ram (so that would give me 24gb) can I mix this ram with the ram the already comes with the computer?

You can mix you RAM, but you will have to manually set every timing in the BIOS, if you know how to do that then you can try it, if not i would advise you to get the maximum RAM that you can get and stay with that.

• then a graphics card but I have no idea what sort! I have this Asus Radeon vx5450 1gb at home, but I’m guessing ill need a better one?? and if so which one??

If you are happy with that card you can still use it, it should work.

If someone could help me decide if this setup would be suitable for my needs and recommend a cheap graphics card that will optimize
performance with these specs please get back to me! I would be so grateful, I have a headache from looking at so many different computer parts!

With cheap cards you want get more performance, so either stay with the 5450, or try the onboard and if you are not happy, then you can get a new card.
But keep in mind that a good card will cost you close to 100 pounds, those £40 cards are good for word/excel and in general very basic tasks.

No need for you to have a headache,

1. Know what you want to do with your system.
  2. Decide on a budget
  3. Also you will buy it from a local store? amazon? a link would make the selection much easier.

thanks

burtle

edit:
would any of these cards work and be up to the task?
Asus Nvidia GeForge GT610 2GB Video Memory HDMI Graphics Video Card DX11 GPU -£40

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2GB Graphics Card -£35

Most of this card should be able to do the same job as the onboard one, it would be a much better option to get some money and get something close to an nvdia GTX750 ti or if or an AMD R7 370 or R7 360 if you can afford to give the extra £100

[QUOTE=vroom;2763760]Case Built In

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97P-D3

No idea who much this drive will cost, but if you can afford it get a 240GB drive, maybe f crucial BX100, or an OZC arc? much faster drives that the V300 and you should have more than enough room for what ever you need to install.

However I was thinking of adding a few things to it:

If you are not going to use them in RAID1 I would also suggest one 3 or 4TB drive.

You can mix you RAM, but you will have to manually set every timing in the BIOS, if you know how to do that then you can try it, if not i would advise you to get the maximum RAM that you can get and stay with that.

If you are happy with that card you can still use it, it should work.

With cheap cards you want get more performance, so either stay with the 5450, or try the onboard and if you are not happy, then you can get a new card.
But keep in mind that a good card will cost you close to 100 pounds, those £40 cards are good for word/excel and in general very basic tasks.

No need for you to have a headache,

1. Know what you want to do with your system.
  2. Decide on a budget
  3. Also you will buy it from a local store? amazon? a link would make the selection much easier.

Most of this card should be able to do the same job as the onboard one, it would be a much better option to get some money and get something close to an nvdia GTX750 ti or if or an AMD R7 370 or R7 360 if you can afford to give the extra £100[/QUOTE]

Pure advice, no less :bow:

If you’re using programs that will be highly CPU-intensive, I would also step up to an i7 rather than an i5.

But yes it’s hard to know unless we know what you’re budget will be. You’re also better off building it yourself instead of buying it pre-built. And when you built it, you’re better off slightly overbuilding it too.