Help chooosing a SATA burner

I’ve been wanting to buy a new SATA burner, so I’ve narrowed down my choices to:

LG GSA-H62N
LiteOn LH-20A1S
Pioneer DVR-212D
Samsung SH-S183A

Which one would you pick, and why?

And as a side note, has anyone had problems with using a SATA optical drive on a motherboard with a nForce4 chipset?

Did you also consider the Samsung SH203B; if it were on your list I would most likely choose it based on it performance for me so far.

Hello, OP, do you mind me adding to your thread? I would like to ask the same question as I am considering the same burners. I was wondering if the Asus 1814BLT should be added to the list. ???

These are my choices (so far):

Pioneer 212D
LG GSA-H62L
LiteOn LH-20A1S
ASUS 1814BLT
Samsung SH203B

Media to be used:
Taiyo Yuden TYG02
Verbatim

I’m building a Core 2 Duo system with P35 chipset mb so the IDE support is weak. Therefore, I’m only considering SATA burners.

Is this available in US yet?

I’m also in the market for a SATA burner, covering the + and - formats, including RW discs. I’m in the UK, and have been recommended the Samsung SH-W163A drive. Does anyone have experience of this drive, or of other reliable SATA drives?

Thanks!

I got mine at NCIXUS.com; they are in Canada but ship to the US. Shipping was around 18.00 for me and the drive arrived in 2 or 3 days.

Hi :slight_smile:
The DVDRW you mention is discontinued.
As you’re in the UK, you can get the Samsung SH-S203B with ease.
This is [B]the drive [/B] of the moment. :iagree: :bigsmile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard. :iagree: :clap:
Personally I have the Pioneer Lite-On (you’ve listed) & the Samsung (203).
The Pioneer excels on DL & is good all round.
The Lite-On is good as reader/scanner, but slow for 20x burner due to the long leadin times.
The Samsung is quick & very good at all aspects. [Better reader than Lite-On just. Much quicker than Pioneer & a tad better quality wise].
From what I’ve seen & experienced with LG. I can’t see that drive letting you down (just stay away from the 55).
BTW I’ve nForce chipset * no probs to date.

go with Samsung SH-S203B, well thats if you can find out. probably the best from that list.

if you need a second drive get an Pioneer, I would only get a lite-on if you need a scanner. Other wise there is no point buying a Lite-on.

I had disc that Lite-on could not read, put them in Pioneer or in Sammy and I was able to either re-burn or make back-up.

Lite-on is long gone.

Well, I purchased the Lite-On (despite what the poster above me said) and it seems to be working just fine for me (I’ve been imaging stuff I burnt onto RITEKG05 and reburning onto Verbatim MCC 004).

Why did I choose the Lite-On, and not the others? Firstly, from a review I had seen on NewEgg, the LG does not like legacy --> SATA adapters for some reason. I have to use one of those since the 2 SATA power connectors native to my PSU are poorly places. Secondly, the Pioneer seems to have quality issues. There have been reports of it loosing the ability to read CDs after a certain time. Finally, with the Samsung, I just had difficulty finding it.

Furthermore, regarding the Lite-On, I can burn a full disc of data (4.38GiB) at 12x in a little over 7 minutes. Is that slow (someone mentioned something about long lead-in times).

Go with the Samsung SH-S203B if you can get it, otherwise, go for the LG GSA-62N

This is pretty normal if you use a Liteon stock firmware. With codeking´s FB EOS firmware you will be able to burn a disc under 7min. @ 12x.

Liteon generally have long lead-in times. I´m also wondering why Liteon doesn´t change this.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be buying this!

Hello guys,
Sorry for coming up with this trade again, but I built up a new computer 2 month ago (M2N SLI DEluxe, X 2 6000, 2 go Gskill HZ PC 6400, 1950 XT 512 …) and of course I only have 1 ide connector!
I got rid of my old benq 1620 (it went in my daughter computer), and I still have my Benq 1650, and my Philips 1648, but they are connected on the same ide cable (master and slave), and I don’t like that. So,I don’t know which one but, I am going to get rid of one of the two remaining drives. In fact I just ordered a pioneer 212 OEM.
Question(finally): is the jmicron chipset good with burners? I would like to use the hot plug functions of this chipset!
Or maybe should I just use the NVIDIA sata connectors?