Help! CD/DVD burners crashing PC

I am a newbie to this form, my name is Sherryluv and I’m having serious cd/dvd issues. I’m not sure if I have an overheating issue or a driver issue or what, my cd burners have started crashing my pc. When I run or write a cd or dvd, it starts of fine, but then soon the pc clicks off, but the power button stays lit. I have to hold it until the light goes off and then reboot. This just started happening not too long ago. Here’s my hardware specs.

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name 16X8 DVD DUAL
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROM16X8_DVD_DUAL___________________________A080____\5&A088CF6&4&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 1/10/2002 1:58 AM)

Drive F:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type CD-ROM
Name SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate 3609.02 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMSAMSUNG_CD-R/RW_SW-240B_________________R403____\5&A088CF6&4&0.1.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 1/10/2002 1:58 AM)

System info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NEWBITCH
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 06
System Model DA192A-ABA 734n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1998 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD AM37308, 12/16/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
User Name NEWBITCH\Sherryluv
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 454.77 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.65 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have a 250 gig (storage only) and an 80 gig hdd. I also have hooked up an Epson 6003m printer and an HP 970 cse printer, an Epson Perfection 1670 scanner, a Kodak 600 usb camera dock, a hauppage tv tuner card, a motorola cable modem, and few other devices such as a couple of usb webcams, and a samsung digital camcorder that I hook up vis firewire. Still this has been the case for over a year and no problems.

I do have both Easy Media Creator 8 and Nero 7, but that’s not ever given me a problem before, and the problem started long before I upgraded. I thought upgrading might help to no avail. I did clean installs on both the probrams. I even get a crash when playing an ordinary cd on either drive. My firmware is current on both drives and I keep my entire computer updated. I’ve even tried using safe mode and though it takes longer to crash eventually it does. None of my software crashes or conflicts if I ‘write’ to a folder on the hard drive.

I’vd tried removing and reinstalling the devices and ida controllers. I use quality media. I’ve tried everything I can think of and I still have problems. Incidentally, until this started, I did a lot of burning, mostly dvds. The first time this happened, I was burning 2 music cds simultaneously with Roxio 7. So I decided not to do that again and all else was okay until recently. I also have all kinds of spyware protection. (Spybot, Microsoft Spyware Beta, Hijack this, Mcafee Virusscan and Personal Firewall plus, Spyware Zapper, AOL Spyware Remover) None of them come up with anything.

Can anyone help me, please?

From the looks of things, you have added and or have conected quite a bit of hardware from what was original on your hp pavilion. Are you still using the same power supply that came with it? If so, what does it say on the power supply label?

Just did a quick search. As far as I can tell, it has a bestec 200 watt power supply (retch, vomit, barf, piece of crap, too small). It is very common for computer manufactures to use cheap power supplies that are just barlly large enough. If you go adding a bunch of stuff, it overloads the power supply. How much of the hardware is added and how much is original? I would sugest unhooking as much as you can including all the external stuff, then try to burn and see if that helps. If it does, panic!!! The reason that it did work and now it doesn’t is that you have probably damaged the power supply. Leave all the external stuff unhooked till you get it fixed. Maybe even take out the cd rom and just use the dvd burner (you do have an aopen dvd burner right)? If the power supply goes, it could take some of the equipemnt in your computer with it.
If that does fix it and you think it might be your power supply, post and I or someone else can help. if it doesn’t fix it, let me know and maybe I can come up with other ideas. Most importantlly, do not just go buy another power supply unless you know what to buy. Another poor quality one might be just as bad, even if it claims to be bigger. You can get good ones pretty cheap.