HELP! Cannot change region on DVD burner

Hi all,
I am new to this, so please forgive any dumb questions! Also, I am only semi- computer literate.
I am hoping you can help.

I have just purchased a Pioneer DVR-110D writer. (I also have a Pioneer DVD-120S on the same computer)

I have tried multiple times to change the region from 1 to 4. My computer will not let me. It comes up with the message “Unable to change setting. Please make sure the drive contains a Region 4 media and you have administrator privilege.”

It is a stand alone computer, I am the only user (my home computer). There is no password at bootup because I am the only one who uses it, so I believe I have Admin privileges.

(I am trying to change it through Control Panel > System > Device manager > Advanced Settings)

The DVD writer is brand new and tells me (in Advanced Settings) that I can change the region setting 4 more times.

Is there another way of changing the region. It is causing problems because I bought the drive for backup purposes, but it only records in Region 1 format. Other drives will not read it.

BTW, my sytem is an AMD Athlon 1.8GHz, 512 RAM, 120 Gb hard disk running Windows 2000.

PLEASE help!

many thanks

Craig

Hi!

“Unable to change setting. Please make sure the drive contains a Region 4 media and you have administrator privilege.”

You do have a region 4 disc in the drive then eh?

It is a stand alone computer, I am the only user (my home computer). There is no password at bootup because I am the only one who uses it, so I believe I have Admin privileges.

XP home of pro? On default install only admin has admin rights.

The DVD writer is brand new and tells me (in Advanced Settings) that I can change the region setting 4 more times.

As it should

Is there another way of changing the region.

www.rpc1.org

You could invest in AnyDVD that will effectively remove this nuisance by “setting” the incoming DVD to the region code you define. Not sure about DVDs you burn as any ripping software should automatically make the movie region free and the burner would just burn what it’s told.

What Mr B is saying is that you can load a modified firmware into the 110D which removes the region code check , that’s what RPC1 means. As I didn’t see an easy link on rpc1.org for the 110D I found another here .

Using modified firmware is something that many of us here do quite regularly & doesn’t cause any problems. But before doing this you must realise that there is a risk of completely ruining your burner & there could well be issues with warranty. Personally I’d do it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks allfor your help. I will try what you suggest. :bow:

Cheers