- HELP - Boot/MBR/WinXP - HELP -

vbimport

:bow: P L E A S E :bow:

Hmmm, I'll try and make this simple a quick as I need HELP from ONE and ALL!!! :confused:

:Z Story...
Running WinXP Pro on a decent PC desktop, 60Gb iBM 60Gxp and 40Gb iBM 75Gxp (older).

The 60Gb is my master drive and 40Gb being the slave.
Not 100% sure what happened at the time it all went down, only I simple lost the ability to Boot up the machine.

I get something along the lines of 'No system' can be found on the drive. I guessed the BOOT part of the drive had crashed and tried to restore it. The stupid/bad thing was I used a Windows 2000 recovery disk and it did actually do soemthing to the drive, just NOT the correct MBR (Master Boot Record).

It seems to read as 'Fat12' in Windows itself and only 10Mb.
The DATA which originally was on the drive (about 55Gb worth) is still on the drive, but can't actually access it. I know its there, as I used OnTrack's System Recovery software to read the drive in DOS and Windows booting up on another machine and see's the DATA, which is why I know its still possibly there.

The problem is (not just the above :o ) but if use there software, would I lose the file names, as it shows the files and there exetensions, but NOT there true name!
I don't OWN OnTracks software and want to know is there a cheap/cheaper alternative to do all this. The downloadable version on OnTrack's site is only a Demo/Free edition, which lets you see the files, but thats all!

Please, can someone/anyone help? /snip /

I WAS thinking of using MS-Dos running 'FDisk' to clear the 'MBR' hopefully, then actually run WindowsXP's recovery thingy, then 'FixMBR' in DOS, which say's it should do the trick.

When I use WinXP'z 'FixMBR' it says it done, but when I reboot, it has done anything. I assume because it has the stupid Fat12 created by Win2k recovery disk, its thinking its OK?

I'm thinking that using the 'Fdisk' to clear the Boot/MBR part to then restore/repair with 'FixMBR' from WinXP. Any ideas if that would work?

:bigsmile: So sorry for the long story, but I'm TOTALLY stuck and in need of everyone's help!

Thanks to everyone that managed to read through and possibly help too!!! :slight_smile:

Read you PM!

:slight_smile: F.P.

well i know how to fix your pc :slight_smile:
but tha way i will tell u to do it will PERMANENTLY ERASE ALL DATA ON DRIVE THAT NEEDS TO BE FDISK.

use fdisk this will work. but like i said data will be permanently gone, SO USE CAUTION.

make a windows 98/me startup disk, then boot tha pc with it, 4 options will come on screen when it loads it’s stuff, just pick tha start pc with cd-rom support, then after it loads some more u will be at the A:\ prompt
then just type FDISK there and it will load tha fdisk program.
Do u know how to use fdisk? i hope u do, because it can fix your problem, i know how to use fdisk well :slight_smile:
after fdisk loads just follow tha on screen instructions, after it fdisk’s your drive (the drive with xp on it) you will have to format that drive for it to be able to load windows xp back onto it.

u do have a genuine windows xp cd right? if not then dont try this.
after u format it everything will be back into fat32 format then once u run tha windows xp setup program (which should autoload after u formatted tha drive and reboot) then u should have the option to convert it back to ntfs file system :slight_smile:

You will have to load all of your program’s etc… again but it will work :slight_smile:

good luck :slight_smile:

p.s. if you dont want to lose your data well this probably wont work sorry.

YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT U ARE DOING WHEN USING FDISK.

if you can get on internet while using fdisk i will help guide u through it :slight_smile: using AOL instant messenger to talk back and forth to each other.

also fdisk can partition your hard drives into smaller drives if you want.

Hmm, I’ve using Windows since 3.11 and no what I’m doing, mostly… or I wouldn’t be here asking!

Anywho, FDisk WiLL delete all my work, which what I’m NOT trying to do, so easy with the the ‘F’ word…
…FORMATTiNG is NOT a option!

Thanks, but STiLL waiting HERE for a REAL SOLUTiON!
Please, can anyone help?! :confused:

Fdisk will screw it pretty good. If the parttiton is 10mb and has reverted to fat12 Something might be hosed.

You used a win2k boot disk and put the 2k boot files in place of the xp files ??
Am I correct in my assumption that it was a mistake?
You should be able to boot off the xp cd and try to repair the drive and windows. You will more than likely have to use the recovery console to repair the files.

try this and see if this helps. http://search.microsoft.com/Default.asp?&so=RECCNT&boolean=ALL&siteid=us&p=1&nq=NEW&qu=recovery+console&btnsearch=GO&IntlSearch=&ig=1&ig=2&ig=3&ig=4&ig=5&ig=6&ig=7&ig=8&ig=9&ig=10&i=00&i=01&i=02&i=03&i=04&i=05&i=06&i=07&i=08&i=09

I know thats a long url but it a search string in ms’s knowledge base.

In essence the MBR needs to be restored.

did you “CHKDSK”?

Um,if there isnt a prob with the disk itself I would......switch you IDE cables ,make the 40 gig drive the MASTER (the reason being that this drive is being seen correctly as you stated before)...

1…get a copy of Partition Magic if you can and invest a bit of time with it , I think you might be able to set a partition with it within your slave drive,if you can goto step 2…if you cant…then get out your installation disc then goto step 3…

2…if Partition Magic can create a partition with a floppy and you have acess to a operating system (im sure you do as you have posted here with your prob) I would set one up here within the NEW MASTER drive…

3…get out whichever Windows setup disc you want 2k or XP and create some partitions on the MASTER (i would it saves the stress of a complete re-format most of the time),and install the OS…

4…hopefully you will be able to see the slave drive properly .

hope this can help,it might not be the best advice but it is what i would do,either that or a complete re-format :eek:

don’t forget to change in the bios to boot from cdrom have you even used the winxp disk tried to repair??? pick the repair option it will ask you what, tell it then type, “help” look for fixmbr try that if that doesn’t work then try fixboot

Fdisk will screw it pretty good. If the parttiton is 10mb and has reverted to fat12 Something might be hosed.

You used a win2k boot disk and put the 2k boot files in place of the xp files ??
Am I correct in my assumption that it was a mistake?
You should be able to boot off the xp cd and try to repair the drive and windows. You will more than likely have to use the recovery console to repair the files.

try this and see if this helps. http://search.microsoft.com/Default…&i=07&i=08&i=09

I know thats a long url but it a search string in ms’s knowledge base.

In essence the MBR needs to be restored.

i agree with cloakdoa use the repair option you can fix a lot of probs with this especiaaly boot probs :bigsmile:

No tricks with switching drives etc! Just install WinXP on your second drive, there must me room somewhere. Start this version and access the other drive with it, rescue your data, etc!

(I had a harddisk crash as well, couldn’t boot anymore, so I tried to reinstall W2k and I was suprised to find out that I could install it on my second harddrive, after that I rescued my data and fixed the drive.)

Thanks SO SO much for your help, but I have tried EVERYTHiNG you have suggested, REALLY!

I’m not one to moan, I’m a one man band usually, but this got me and can figure it out!

Hmm, the XP Recovery Console is great stuff, but doesn’t repair it on this occasion, begin that the ‘MBR’ is there!

I have a strong feeling that XP is seeing the 10Mb as a REAL partition and not damaged, so just reapirs thin air and says all is fine.

Oh before I foget, I’ve re-installed XP on my 40Gb and other stuff so I can still do all I want… I JUST CAN’T ACCESS my personal work on the 60Gb! :frowning:

…and its near to TEN years of work!!! :eek:

I know, I should have backed-up, which I have done in the past, but I was only two weeks away from doing so! The last time I back up my data was 2 years ago!
Alot has happened since then, along with ADSL and alot of creative work, which is why I’m so deperate to do this!

I’ve just bought a WD (Westen Digital) 120Gb HD with the 8Mb cache. It should be here tomorrow and that was ment to the new MASTER HD, with the 60Gb being just the back up drive!

DAMM, its all become such a mess…
…I’m still confident with OnTracks sofware, but haven’t been able to get the software yet!

Everything just seems to screw up the MBR even more, so I think its time to get the shovel out and dig for the data, whilst I still can!? :confused:

I’m still not sure on the file NAME part. but it’ll just have to rename everything, if it does the 8.3 thang! :Z

Just so you know, I’m NOT bothered about being able to BOOT the drive, just get the DATA off and on to another drive!

I have access to MANY machines as I work in the industry and have tested the drive on a number of totally different machines, with the same result!

So… any ideas on RECOVERiNG DATA on a NON-BooTable drive! :confused:

Thanks SO SO much again to everyone, it may seem sad to say, but it alwasy puts a big :bigsmile: smile on my face when you guyz’n’gals help me out!!! :slight_smile:

:bow: C D F R E A K S . R U L E :bow:

No tricks with switching drives etc! Just install WinXP on your second drive
------- thanks Upp3rd0G that saves me some stress next time :wink: --------

• dont know any good recovery from the disk ,but i would stress you to break your new drive into many partitions .and use the old rule …save,save,and then save some more.
  • I use a Mobile Rack HD system here ,when i need to back up i just save everything to a different hard drive :cool:
  • if you have this or this installed you might be able to find what you are looking for here:bigsmile:

P.S.support the authors,you know how $$
P.P.S.the second this prob has some spyware which can be removed with this

Does XP have the 4 set up disks like Win2k does ?

I had my dual boot system loose Win 2k (see * below). Win98 was fine, but it refused to boot into or even find Win2k. I could see it on the drive when I have Win98 running, but I could not boot into it.

Using the Win2000 start up disks (yes, all 4 were needed) I was able to chose the “repair all files that have changed since Win2k was installed” option.

I restarted, and there was Win2k again.

Dual boot running fine.

IF XP has the set up disks, keep trying them.

I saw you post earlier that XP may be seeing the drive as a partition. Keep trying, it is fixable. It just takes time.

Spazmogen.

*- using Norton Anti Virus on both Win98 & Win2K was the problem. While scanning for virus’ in Win98, it checked the boot sections of the drives and prompted to to reinnoculate or repair, I chose repair. Poof! Gone was the ability to dual boot.

I learned a lesson there. It took me 3 days to cure it.

*- using Norton Anti Virus on both Win98 & Win2K was the problem

Ouch  :a

BiG OuCH! :eek:

…Well guyz, I may have figured out this mess, but sadly the method wasn’t anything that amazing, hence NOT getting amazing results…

I used OnTrack’s clever piece of kit to do the job in the end, which is what I first tried, but only a DEMO originally.

With the help of eD2k :wink: I managed to fully install it and find my files. However, it didn’t repair the drive, just let me get at the data on the drive, which to me, was good enough.

The very sad thing now is, I have hundredz of thousand’z of files to go through and rename! OOOUCH!!! :a

OnTrack see’s the file in the stupid DoS format - 8.3 -
Everything is seen in 8.3 so I know have to spend 6 hours transfering the found files to another drive, then the rest of my remaining life to rename them!

Life! :Z

Anywho, thats my story and the book is nearly closed…
… I sayt nearly, because of course, there is one more question!

Is it possible that I can restore the file names? Will it be back to normal in Windows? Will I ever solve all this? And what happens if I pull on th… [ Transmittion Endz ]

Thanks DooD, helpful stuff! :slight_smile:

…I’ll get back to you ALL on the progress, sametime tomorrow!
…hopefully with my 60Gb up and running! :wink:
…and my new 120Gb tomorrow when it arrives! :stuck_out_tongue:

anytime brother
…let us know how your motherboard accepts the 120 gig’r
…i had big probs with a Maxtor 160 (5400) with my DELL P4 1.3ghz machine ,thing wouldnt even boot at all
…so after a lot of hair pulling i brought it back minus the ATA card lol :slight_smile:
—check out my post over here in the newbie forum—
–man i miss free web space :frowning: