Help BDR-2208 burning at slow speeds

vbimport

I tried my first burn and I am only getting 1.58X burn speeds… disc info shows capable of 10x.

My old Liteon HAS dvd writer always burned up to full speeds… replaced with this new drive and the speed is horrendous during the Optidrive Create Disc attempt.

If you attempt to burn using normal software (such as ImgBurn, Nero, etc), do things improve?

[QUOTE=Albert;2668806]If you attempt to burn using normal software (such as ImgBurn, Nero, etc), do things improve?[/QUOTE]

I will try Nero DiscSpeed and see.

Nero CDSpeed is no different.

Anyone got any suggestions or is this just a defective burner?

Did you enable the “streaming” option ?

[QUOTE=2601;2668828]Did you enable the “streaming” option ?[/QUOTE]

NO will try to enable that option… Brand new install so no changes to defaults at all.

Wow! Looking good enabled the streaming option and the burn has started at 5.22x so already an improvement. My new results how do these results look?

Hmm… interesting Optidrive does not seem to like BDR-2208 and some media… when I tired to burn 10x with Digistorm media as soon as it hit 8x the buffer plummeted and the burn speed started failing and falling.

But same media same settings in Nero CDSpeed and the results are much different I don’t trust Opti Drive after this experience.

[QUOTE=molitar;2668840]Hmm… interesting Optidrive does not seem to like BDR-2208 and some media… when I tired to burn 10x with Digistorm media as soon as it hit 8x the buffer plummeted and the burn speed started failing and falling.

But same media same settings in Nero CDSpeed and the results are much different I don’t trust Opti Drive after this experience.[/QUOTE]

It is the known buffer issue on creating data disc over 8x with ODC.

[QUOTE=2601;2668842]It is the known buffer issue on creating data disc over 8x with ODC.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the information… too bad not able to do quality scans with the Digistor media but just got my writer and can not afford a second reader just to do scans with :frowning:

But the Digistor media seems to burn from the 2 scans for burn speeds just as good as the Ritek did. Was a good price it’s white printable 25 pack 25GB 6x Media for $21.75 with the 2 day prime shipping seems to burn just fine at 10x. Damn I really wish I had a way to do a quality scan on it though.

Also wonder when the drive models will be updated ODC only shows it as a 12x burner when it’s a 15x. Same with Nero CDSpeed.

Very interesting to see that Digistor has switched to TDKBLD RBD for their 6x media in the US, too. One of our European members alerted us to the change in Europe several weeks ago.

Please keep in mind that burn quality does suffer as you push the burn speed higher. How much it suffers varies from burner to burner and batch to batch. If time allows, you might consider trying 6x-8x for the sake of lower error rates and longevity.

Does that Digistor spindle have a “Made in” anywhere on it?

Imgburn is also very good for burning, and it creates a burn graph that can be viewed by ODC.

[QUOTE=molitar;2668846]
Also wonder when the drive models will be updated ODC only shows it as a 12x burner when it’s a 15x. Same with Nero CDSpeed.[/QUOTE]

Only SONY 6x BD-R supports 15x write speed with this Drive. Unfortunately the current versions ODC and CDSpeed do not support to write at 15x. ODC and CDSpeed show the highest write speed at 0.4x and actually write at 2x. Although ImgBurn supports 15x write speed on BDR-208, it still fails to support 16x write speed on LG BH16. You can get more information from here and here.

Hmm… I get 10x speed with Digistor as the write speed and both wrote fine. The Digstor shows made in the UAE and unlike the Memorex which was a brown die the Digistor has the dark blue purplish dye like I am use to seeing with PS3 media.

BTW what do you mean by ImgBurn can create a graph readable by ODC?

If enabled in ImgBurn’s settings, ImgBurn can produce a file that can be opened by ODC to display the write graph for a given burn. (ImgBurn graphs can also be enabled for opening with other software, but I cannot remember which software). This will be roughly equivalent to the graph produced when creating the data disc with ODC or CD-DVD Speed,

[QUOTE=Albert;2668930] (ImgBurn graphs can also be enabled for opening with other software, but I cannot remember which software).[/QUOTE]Burnplot - available on ImgBurn official download website: http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Michael

[QUOTE=2601;2668857]Only SONY 6x BD-R supports 15x write speed with this Drive. Unfortunately the current versions ODC and CDSpeed do not support to write at 15x. ODC and CDSpeed show the highest write speed at 0.4x and actually write at 2x. Although ImgBurn supports 15x write speed on BDR-208, it still fails to support 16x write speed on LG BH16. You can get more information from here and here.[/QUOTE]

The issue with 16x on the BH16NS48 (write speed miscompare - 1.4x) looks like a firmware bug to me. It appears to suffer from the same ‘wrap around’ issue that CD Speed / ODC have.

If there was such a problem in ImgBurn, you’d have seen it at 15x on the Pioneer drive too - just as CD Speed / ODC report 0.4x for 15x.

[QUOTE=molitar;2668870]Hmm… I get 10x speed with Digistor as the write speed and both wrote fine. The Digstor shows made in the UAE and unlike the Memorex which was a brown die the Digistor has the dark blue purplish dye like I am use to seeing with PS3 media.

BTW what do you mean by ImgBurn can create a graph readable by ODC?[/QUOTE]

Drive manufacturers test media and program their own burn speeds for various media into the drive’s firmware. They will generally allow burning up to a speed that is just shy of coastering the disc. This in no way indicates what the drive manufacturer found to be the best speed. There is considerable evidence that burning at rated speed or only slightly higher will produce the best quality burns with BD-R. See here.

Thank you for confirming what I was very much hoping for :). Nice to see another company got smart and started sourcing their BD-Rs from FTI. I’m glad you decided to grab those Digistors. I’ve been waiting to hear from someone in the US confirming the change over here. The 6x Digistors I tested a few months ago were CMCMAG-BA5 discs. Not the greatest burn quality.

Here is a screenshot of an Imgburn graph opened in ODC. You can save it as a png file with the floppy disc button. I find it simplest to name the graphs with “%B %M %I %S %V” and keep them in a custom folder like “my documents/Imgburn Graphs” for ease of access. You can also access them from ImgBurn>Help>ImgBurn graph data…

If ODC 1.70 does not cooperate with opening the files, Download 1.50 and install it in a separate folder from ODC1.70.