Help, Asus DRW-1608P2S Burnt DVD's show as empty folders?

Hello,
I just bought an ASUS DRW-1608P2S this morning, installed it fine and tried reading some old DVD backups and for some reason, most of the DVD-/+R discs i’ve tried to read show up in My Computer, but when i browse the folders, they seem to be empty? :confused:
Can anyone shine some light on this problem.
My ASPI Layer is correct in Nero Toolkit, and i’m running Windows XP Pro, would anyone recommend me installing ASPI Layer again?

Also, i updated the firmware to 1.37 and still no improvement.

If you need any other information please let me know, and many thanks if anyone can help :slight_smile:

Still trying to figure out this problem,
If i put a backed up dvd-r disc in the drive, autoplay shows that the disc is in the drive (gives options to play in Power DVD etc.) but if i goto ‘My Computer’ the disc is labelled correctly, but if i browse the VIDEO_TS folder it still shows up blank.

Maybe this will help, i started DVD Decrypter to see if it would read the disc, and i get an error message :-

Interpretation: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)

If i choose ‘ignore’ then DVD Decrypter does manage to rip the files, (so can obviously read the disc?)

Still need to figure out why the files won’t show up in ‘My Computer’
(My ASPI Layer seems correct also)

If anyone can help i’d be very grateful, i’ve been searching the forum for the past hour and still can’t figure it out.

Is the current disc badly scratched. It sounds like there are bad errors on the disc.

Try some more discs to see if you can read them, if you can then that first disc is in bad shape. If you have problems reading all discs, then you might want to exchange the drive.

Check the device manager to see if the drive is in UDMA mode 4, that is very important for proper drive operation.

The exploDer has a nasty bug which also produces such an issue.
Use tools like Nero CD DVD Speed, DVDInfo adn Isobuster and try to access/test/verify the disc content.

Also go into Devicemanager, uninstall the IDE channels and drive entry, then reboot. If possible, you should also follow the HOW TO link in my sig.

Thanks for replying, i’ve now managed to fix the problem :smiley:

I read somewhere that i needed a new IDE Cable (80 wire 40pin UDMA 66/100)
(the old cable was a 40 wire 40 pin)

I bought a new cable and the problem was solved!

I hope this helps other users and many thanks for replying to my message