HELP! Anybody had these symptoms?

Hi all,

My 48x12x48 LITEON burner has been working beautifully… Until now.

I haven’t burnt anything for about 2 weeks. Back then I would always scan my blanks after each burn to ensure they worked.

Now EVERY time I burn something I get big chunks of damaged sectors followed by an unreadable sector as reported by Nero CDSpeed. This happens at the same locations each time… approx 1/3 and 2/3 the way through the disc.

Anybody had this before? I’ve tested with identical results for 10 burns. different files each time, two different CDr brands, different burn speeds. I even removed my DVD drive to make sure it wasn’t a factor.

I’m running firmware VS08.

Any ideas people?

Same results here with a LTR-40125S@LTR-48125W with VS08 firmware. About 3/4 through the scan there is about 3-4 lines of damaged sectors. Scanned a few different CDRs also. The damaged sectors are absent when the drive is flashed back to the LTR-40125S w/ZS0n firmware. I would suspect the VS08 firmware at this point.

These are fairly common with poor media and/or excessive burn speed.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
These are fairly common with poor media and/or excessive burn speed.

I just did another test.
I did a generic burn @ 16x (media rated 40x, Media info app rates 48x). Normally this would guarantee me a perfect disk.
I performed a surface scan with CDSpeed which, again, reported errors.
I let the CD spin down. Then tried again. It registered as perfect!
I ran the test again (it is spun up again by this point), ERRORS!

ARGH!

I noticed that CD that I made weeks ago and verified as perfect at the time are coming up with errors now too.

It appears to me there is nothing wrong with the burning… My 48125W just can’t READ burnt material properly.

I don’t know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
Is it possible to flash black to the previous firmware? (The website says it’s not)… Do I really want to?
Is it worth taking my drive back to the store? To get a replacement? Or will this just happen again if I flash back to VS08?

HELP!

What media are you using?

Been using Emtec(16x) and LG(40x).

Probably not the greatest. I got the LGs last night cos I was low on cash, so I haven’t had time to play with them. But I’ve had the Emtecs for a while and they’ve performed fairly well.

Can you check them with the smartBurn media checker and post the info? you can download it from LiteOn.

Will do…

I’m at work at the moment, but I’ll do it when I get home. ~5/6 hours.

Hi,

I had the same problems. Tried all kind of different media, nearly always errors 2/3 the way. Then I uninstalled Nero and used my old WinOnCD 5. Now all problems are gone, every disk is perfect. I am using 40125W flashed to 48125W VS08 and checked with CDSpeed.

OK, I’m back home…

I’ce been using Emtecs and (as of last night) LGs:

Screendump of “SmartBurn Media Check Simulator v2.0”:

Emtec:
This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 00f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = CDtech,OfficeDepot
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

LG:
This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 32s 19f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Prodisc
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

All very interesting, but what does this tell me?
(ie: What do I derive from the raw facts?)

You know… This is a flaw in the reading engine. If you do a surface scan on another burner or CD-reader. you will get zero errors.

I have seen the same problem as you. The first scan 324 errors. Then the second scan on same CD zero errors.

And if I scan the CD in a CD-reader like Teac 540E V3.0 reporting zero errors. (And guys! This is not Teac W540E)

Lite-On is a good burner in did. But it have some flaw in the reading mechanism. I belive it depends on how much you use the burner as a reader or how much dust there is on your burners lins. It’s sensetive.

/Dyzan

http://liteon.notrix.net

Originally posted by Dyzan
[B]You know… This is a flaw in the reading engine.

snip

Lite-On is a good burner in did. But it have some flaw in the reading mechanism. I belive it depends on how much you use the burner as a reader or how much dust there is on your burners lins. It’s sensetive.
[/B]

OK. This says to me that the read head is permenantly damaged?
True or false?
If so it still might be worth my while taking it back to the shop as I still like to check my burns for integrity and my DVD drive does NOT have the facility to report errors (according to CDSpeed). It’s a pioneer 105(? It’s one of the early 16x).

@ MojoMagic

It doesn’t need to be broken. But it culd mean that you have alot of dust in the burner. And that can effect the reading engine. You may stil have 100% working burns.

But ofcourse. You may do the djugement on this. Because no one can realy say to 100 % what problem there is… Maybe you have buffer underrun wil burning. And that maybe cause these errors because of maybe bad IDE drivers?(coruption in data when sends to the burner) I don’t know. If you have any friend with a burne that can read out errors. You may ask him to do the check if there is a bad burn. And be shure that you don’t have a CD there’s contain copy protections. Burn a pure Data-CD in Nero or what ever you use, and check that CD on your friends computer.

Good luck! hope you get the answer.

/Dyzan

edit

One more thing. Try Verbatim 48x certified CD’s. It works great for me.

MojoMagic
The Prodisc media should be pretty good, see the media tests below. The other media is likely not good. Try the Prodisc and see how it works.

OK,

I tried some more test burns.

The Prodisc media seems to burn fine. But, as usual, when performing a surface scan in CDSpeed I get errors.
I decided to give the main screen in CDSpeed a go (the one with the graph. It gets about 1/5 the way through and comes up with an error no matter what CDr I use (old or new, differing burners etc.)

So, in other words, no change.

I decided to try the “graph” test on my DVD drive (pioneer 115). As stated previously the pioneer doesn’t report damaged sectors according to CDSpeed.
Anyway, the test completed with no problems and resulted in a near perfect speed curve. Just like the ones in the reviews, even though the same disc (prodisc) was unreadable in the LITEON.

As you guys have previously stated, it seems that my LITEON burns fine. There’s just something wrong with it’s reading. sigh
I’ll go have a chat to the store I bought it from.

On another note:
The Prodisc media I bought seems to perform quite nicely. But I’ve noticed that it is a visibly thinner slice of plastic than any other media I’ve used.
Feels fragile and prone to bending. Is this normal?
To be honest they were rather cheap. That’s why I bought them.

The Prodisc media I bought seems to perform quite nicely. But I’ve noticed that it is a visibly thinner slice of plastic than any other media I’ve used.

They tend to stiffen up a bit at 10,000RPM. :bigsmile:
Seriously, you may have a case for returning the drive, see if the shop where you bought it can install it in a system there and try it out. Be sure to take along some CD’s you have burned.

Yes, return it. But be shure to have right firmware installed. else you don’t get your waranty granted. If you have overclocked…

/Dyzan

I’ve decided to return the drive for a replacement. Thanks for everyones help by the way. You’ve all been great.

There’s one last question though.
It’s a native 48125W but it came with the VS06 firmware. I have since flashed to VS08.
Does this means I’ll have to flash it back to VS06 to return it?
it: Does it technically void my warranty?

You’re fine with VS08.