Help again

vbimport

I could sure use your people’s help again. Someone gave me a copy of a CD or is it a CD-Rom of a concert.
I can play the CD. However, when I try to bring up the rest of the CD, it is only showing Photos. Do I presume that those are the Rom part?
I haven’t really dealt with a CD Rom and was not sure if if they have video of the concert or just Photos. I am presuming if it’s a CD, the Photos are the Rom part.
On DVD Rom’s don’t they show extra video or are they also Photos.
I sometimes use Roxio to “Burn” MP 3’s and if I click on a song, I can listen to it.
However on this CD, there is no way to listen to it on the “Roxio Creator DE 10.2”.
It plays on Windows Media.
Thanks a lot,
Phil

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2608158]I could sure use your people’s help again. Someone gave me a copy of a CD or is it a CD-Rom of a concert.
I can play the CD. However, when I try to bring up the rest of the CD, it is only showing Photos. Do I presume that those are the Rom part?
I haven’t really dealt with a CD Rom and was not sure if if they have video of the concert or just Photos. I am presuming if it’s a CD, the Photos are the Rom part.
On DVD Rom’s don’t they show extra video or are they also Photos.
I sometimes use Roxio to “Burn” MP 3’s and if I click on a song, I can listen to it.
However on this CD, there is no way to listen to it on the “Roxio Creator DE 10.2”.
It plays on Windows Media.
Thanks a lot,
Phil[/QUOTE]

First would be to contact the person whom game you the copy and ask what is on there and how did they create the media. Since it is custom made you are going to have to contact that person whom created it for you. Unfortunately custom cd/dvd are hard to diagnosis since we have no idea what is on there or have a copy our-self to know what it is.

I think we should talk about the terms you are using. A cd-rom is a commercially made disk, that is pressed, not burned. The manufacturing process used by large companies is quite different than what we can do with our cd/dvd burners and writeable cd-r’s. The same sort of logic works for dvd-rom disks vs dvd-r disks that we can burn.

Now, is the disk given to you a cd-rom that is commercially made, or is this a cd that your friend has burned?

Commercially made videos on cds are rather unusual these days. For a few years, they were made in VCD or SVCD format, and were much more popular in the Asian markets than in the US.

If we are looking at a disk burned by your friend, it could have lots of different formats on it, as long as it was small enough to fit the 700mb capacity of a cd. We cannot determine from long distance exactly what you have on that cd. My guess would be that you have an avi or mp4 file and photos in a separate file or folder.

It is a “Commercially made CD-Rom”. The music sounds Great. However, when I Burned it, there were about 30 Photos along with it.
I thought if it was a CD Rom, it would have some video on it.
Phil

Ok, so what you have is a [B]music[/B] cd that also has a folder with photos (presumably from the concert).

As far as the term cd-rom meaning video—no, that’s not correct. The term cd-rom means a read only disk. These can have music, or software, or games or in [B]some[/B] cases, video. As I said before the video format used in commercial cds was called VCD or SVCD, depending on the specifications of the video. It isn’t often seen anymore, since dvds and blu rays have taken over.

When we try to open them, they are very small and are in the upper left hand corner of the computer screen.
Phil

Hi,

seems you were given a CD Extra (or enhanced CD). Basically, these consist of two sessions, the audio session (readable by any CD player) plus a data session than can contain small photos, videos or similar stuff.
Whereas you can play the music using most players (including software players), Windows explorer (and other file managers) will show the data session.

If you want mp3 files from the music part, you might try Windows Media Player. You already stated you can use it for playback, and WMP is also able to rip to mp3 format.

Michael

All I can do is open Windows Media Player and click on “Now Playing”.
It shows “Unknown Album” in E Drive. It plays.
However, when I open up the CD file, there are a ton of “Picture Images”. Some with different size MB’s.
However I have Video 1, Video 2 and Video 3.
If I click on any of them, I get "Windows Media cannot play the file and it takes me to a Microsoft page titled "Windows Media Error Message"
C00D1199 and tells me to change my Speakers Audio Device. I did what it saysaid, but it still does not play the 3 videos.
I am presuming when I open Windows Media Player and “Click” on “Play” it must be playing all three videos.
The size of the Videos are Video1 46.3 MB, Video2 72.4MB and Video 3 62.0 MB. There are about 50 Picture Images that open.
Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried playing the videos with VLC media player? Free to use. www.videolan.org

I just tried it. It plays Audio1 which is 35 minutes but won’t play Audio 2 which is 37 minutes.

Go to Computer (or My Computer depending on which operating system you are using), then look at the icon for your optical drive that has the cd in it. Right click on the icon and select Open. This should let you see the contents of the disk.

If you can select Audio 2 here, try playing it with VLC this way…manually. Right click on the file and you should see an option to play with VLC.

And I’m still not sure if you’ve tried VLC with the extras…

Please list everything that is shown when you right click on the drive icon and hit Open.

I got it!!! I first clicked on “Add to VLC” and then “Play with VLC”.
It’s playing interviews. I think I’ve got it.
Oh Thank You so much. I really appreciate it.
Also, does VLC let you burn CD’s or MP3’s. If sowill it let you adjust the sounds you want on a song before you Record"?
Phil

I believe VLC will let you take a compilation of mp3 files and put it onto a cd, but I have never done this. I’m certain it doesn’t have much if anything in the way of editing tools.

Click Media–>Convert/Save and add your files. Then click on Disc in that small window and change to CD Audio.

As I said, not something I do, so maybe someone else will chip in with a bit more info.

Thanks again.
Phil

Sorry to keep bothering you but how do I get rid of the “Windows Media” icon on the videos and Photos?
If I right click on each one, I can find “Play with VLC”. I thought there was a way to change them all to “VLC”.
Thanks,
Phil

Right click on the file. You’ll get a list of choices, one of which, at the bottom, is Properties. Click on Properties.

This brings up a new window, where you will see Type of File and Opens With. Click on Change to substitute a different program as the default for opening that type of file.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2608338]I believe VLC will let you take a compilation of mp3 files and put it onto a cd, but I have never done this. I’m certain it doesn’t have much if anything in the way of editing tools.

Click Media–>Convert/Save and add your files. Then click on Disc in that small window and change to CD Audio.

As I said, not something I do, so maybe someone else will chip in with a bit more info.[/QUOTE]
According to the FAQ for VLC it doesn’t burn anything .
However I may give what Kerry posted a try.

I don’t have any discs like ptfitzy that I know of but you might try VLC/ Media pulldown /Select “Open disc” then try both “Audio CD” & “SVCD/VCD” to see if one of those will play the whole disc.

The process of converting the mp3 files to cd audio may just make a cue file that you can burn to a disk with another program. Like I said, not something I do with VLC.

I [B]have [/B]made cue files in ImgBurn from various music formats.

I couldn’t get VLC to do a .cue either. When I tried to used it to burn Windows burner came up to format the disc.
I too use ImgBurn . If the correct codecs are added it will burn an Audio CD from several audio formats. I’m not to keen on the idea of creating an Audio CD from .mp3’s even if it is possible. I prefer to use .wav or FLAC lossless.
If ptfitzy was more experenced I would be interested in seeing how EAC would rip this disc. IMO it would leave out the video.

Thanks. That took care of the short videos. Everything file from the CD has a VLC icon.
However, the Pictures won’t open. Do I possibly need a different Program?
I went to the top of VLC where they have “Media”, “Playback”, Audio", “Video”, “Tools” and “View”.
I was thinking Media, but it is all in Gray.
They are “Picture Files”. However, I converted the Pictures back to Windows Media Picture Viewer.
So I’m fine with that. The Pictures are so tiny, about 2 inches buy 3 inches. If you try to make them larger, they become distorted. I appreciate your help.
Phil