Help Again with GSA4163B

vbimport

Hi again. Now that my drive is working, I tried burning some discs, but Nero is only letting me burn a 4X, not 8x 12x or 16x. The discs that I am using are

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:OPTODISCR004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Optodisc Technology Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [OPTODISCR004]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

My firmware is A104. The drive is connected on the primary IDE chain as a master with a DVD-reader as slave (Hard drives are on a seperate RAID channel). How can I make my drive write at full speed?

First of all, use good 16x DVD media. If they are too expensive for you, use good 8x DVD media.

What other media rated up to 16x have you tried? Unless you are very experienced in this, you should use only the “reference” media from Mitsubishi (Verbatim) and such. After you become more certain and how to get more out of the drive, you may try various types of media from second- and third-tier manufacturers like Ritek and Optodisc.

It has nothing to do with your drive or Nero. OPTODISCR004 media IS 4X speed media. That is how they were manufactured. So of course you can’t burn them at any speed faster than that. If you want to burn at 8X or 16X then you need discs that are rated for 8X or 16X.

You can also have a look here for a list of media and what speed the 4163B will burn it with using A104 firmware. Then if you want to try media from second and third grade manufacturers you don’t have to go it by trial and error to see how fast it can burn.

so the problem is the media isn’t it. I’ll see if I can pick up some 16x dvd’s sometime tommorrow. Thanks guys

16X discs can be pretty expensive and may be hard to come by. It may be cheaper to get hold of 8X discs. Also, if you get hold of 8X discs with the following media codes, you can burn them at 12X on the 4163B :

YUDEN000 T02-000
TDK 002-000
RICOHJPN R02-003
MCC 003-000
MAXELL 002-000

So it can be quite a bargain. These are DVD+R discs. The 4163B can burn ONLY these 8X discs at 12X. It won’t do it with DVD-R discs either.