Help about CPU

vbimport

I was planning to upgrade my computer, and particularly CPU.

Right now I have an Athlon XP 2200+, and my plans were to purchase another athlon CPU with core Barton (xp 2800+ or xp 3000+). Too bad, barton processors are not more produced, substituted by sempron ones.

I know that a 3000 barton is better than a 3000 sempron, but I don’t know if
my present CPU is better or not than a 3000 sempron.

Can someone tell me if a Sempron 2800 or 3000 is anyway an upgrade comparing to my xp2200+?

Right now I can’t afford the expenses to upgrade to a 64 bit system.

Many thanks in advance.

Geno

I’d look on ebay. On the UK site there’s a decent selection, not sure about Italy but I guess some UK suppliers might ship.

I am running a 2800XP and its lovely for what I need, however I didnt really notice much difference between my Athlon 2200+ and my 2800+ apart from DVD encoding which shaved off a fair few minutes :slight_smile:

personally if you are going to do a lot of MPEG coding/decoding definitely get an Athlon, not a Sempron because the internal cache is nearly naff all.

Is really so little the difference between these two processors? I thought that with a XP2800 I should obtain a really big difference… :frowning:

If so then is not worth purchase a Sempron processor :Z

So the only way to rise CPU power is to buy a pentium :eek:
…and pentiums are more expensive :eek: :eek: :eek:

Your current 2200+ Athlon should be working at 1800 MHz Speed and 266Mhz FSB.

The new Sempron 2800+ runs at 2000MHz with FSB at 333Mhz.
Sempron 3000+ runs at 2000Mhz with FSB at 333MHz and has 512KB of
cache.

Upgrading your CPU wouldn’t be such a big boost for the whole system (although it would be felt).

In my opinion, your best bet would be overclocking your current CPU by pushing FSB to 333MHz (Perhaps even higher). Also, what speed is your memory rated at? By getting it in sync with FSB at 333MHz you should feel the system has improved (at no cost). Overclocking is pretty safe if you don’t go to extremes.

So the only way to rise CPU power is to buy a pentium

That is not true. The new 64bit Athlons are even faster then it’s Intel counterparts and cheaper as well. Besides, if you were to install a Pentium CPU you would have to change the motherboard.

The AMD CPUs can be better oC’ed in general and they also suck not that much of power from the PSU. :-()

If I’m not wrong, xp2200 is a 266 MHz FSB processor: how can I force FSB @333 if CPU hardware is made to only 266?

New 64 bit CPUs will be faster only when will be available true 64 bit software. A 64 bit CPU running 32bit software is not much faster than a 32 bit CPU. I know because my brother has a 64 bit CPU and softwares are not running so much faster than my computer.

My concern about pentiums is this: i must change also mainboard, and this make costs much higher :a

If I’m not wrong, xp2200 is a 266 MHz FSB processor: how can I force FSB @333 if CPU hardware is made to only 266?

That’s what overclocking is all about: making hardware work faster than it is supposed to.

If you motherboard supports 333FSB your CPU will as well (although it is not supposed to). Try playing with your bios and setting higher FSB (don’t go straight to 333, do it gradually to see if the system is stable). If your CPU is unlocked you might even have access to muliplayer settings. Use google to find more guides on overclocking.

New 64 bit CPUs will be faster only when will be available true 64 bit software. A 64 bit CPU running 32bit software is not much faster than a 32 bit CPU. I know because my brother has a 64 bit CPU and softwares are not running so much faster than my computer

I didn’t mean that 64bit CPU is superior to 32bit on 32bit software. It’s just that these days all AMD CPUs are 64bit (except most of the Semprons).

I had a xp3200 barton before and now i have A64 clocked at the same GHZ rating and it is definatetly faster in gaming and encoding applications. My concern is if your current mobo supports semprons or higher fsb clocked processors than your current one. What chipset does it have??

the architecture of the Athlon64 CPU (with an on-die memory controller and Hyper Transport bus technology) do make them faster MHz for MHz than Bartons…even on 32bit software…this has been shown extensively for over 2 years now…

Thanks for all your replies. :bow: :bow:

I’ll try some overclocking. And also a little search on ebay… who know :stuck_out_tongue: