Help A Newbie In His First DVD Burn

vbimport

Hi all.

Today I went to my local CD-shop and got a fresh 25-CD’s pack of Verbatim DVD-R DataLifePlus, Code: MCC02RG20, and another pack with same amout of CD’s, just DVD+R.

I want to backup the Riddick (PC, not console) I have nearby. I would like to try DVD-R first. Well, i’ve started the burning process but nero warned me about multisession disc.

The original message:
You are about to create a multisession write once DVD disc. Session no.2 and above will not be readable with some DVD-ROM drives and operating systems prior to WindowsXP.

Nero gave me 3 options:

• Burn Multisession Anyway
  • Burn Without Multisession
  • Cancel

(BTW, the “Multisession Disc [Allow Files To Be Added Later]” box was ticked by default).

One more question: What does my drive (NEC3520, FW 1.0UF) tends to like better? DVD-R / DVD+r?

What to do?
Thanks in advance.

One more things, here a Nero CD-DVD Speed Disc Quality test run, @ 5X (I’m not a fan of max speeds anyway, I prefer quality). Here are the results:

General Information
Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW
Firmware: 1.UF
Disc: DVD-R (MCC 02RG20 )
Selected speed: 5 X
PI errors
Maximum: 68
Average: 13.21
Total: 164374
PI failures
Maximum: 10
Average: 0.35
Total: 3798
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning statistics
Elapsed time: 16:07
Number of samples: 17952
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 1

Is it good?
Thanks.

If you want to add files later burn as “start multi session” the 1st time and “continue with multi session” after that. For video files ie on a dvd player you have to close the cd/dvd so that the dvd player can read the disk.

I don’t understand you. What do you mean?

If I’m burning games so my optical drives could read them, should I burn as multisession?

• What is multisession disc anyways?

No.

So, if I can add files after the burn, what’s the point of DVD-/+ROM/RW formats?

• Nevertheless, I understand that multisession burning is intended for infinite backup discs, so no use in game backups! :a

:=\

Tia!

a cd/dvd rw will allow you to physically erase/remove the file from the cd/dvd rw. On a mutisession cd/dvd you can’t physically erase/remove anything that has been burnt to the cd/dvd. You can add more files to the cd/dvd untill it has reached it’s capacity and is full.

In laymans terms, use multisession when you want to reopen media and add additional files. When you are just burning a disk to use the same files over and over, do not use multisession. :wink:

Example: I want to put all my families Christmas photos onto one CD for everyone. First I burn mine straight to CD. Then as I get photos from other members of the family, I want to add them to this same CD. So I leave it multisession or open. Now when I get them all together, I put them on my harddrive and make a cd slide show. When I’m done I burn do a new cd and I DO NOT use multisession, because I want the disc closed out, so that no one can accidentally overwrite what I have done.