Help! 5250 not working with some DVDs

I have been backing up a few DVDs, which I’ve done successfully, using DVD Fab Platinum 3.something. Then it asked me to upgrade to 5.2.5.0 which I did.

Then I had 2 DVDs with the wrong region code for my player, and a scratched one I wanted to copy & cut out the errors. Put one of the wrong region ones in first, copied it no problems - remarkably quicker with 5.2.5.0.

Then put the scratched one in. It started then after a bit said ‘errors detected - try again, ignore, ignore all?’ I pressed ignore all & it continued. When I got up in the morning it was still going! I cancelled it, thinking a glitch & started again. An hour later it was still going & I stopped it again, turned the whole program off & restarted. It wouldn’t even detect the disc this time. Opened & closed DVD draw, to no avail. Put in the other wrong region disc & it started, but then got stuck. Uninstalled & reinstalled the program, to no avail. Tried a couple of the other discs I did the other day & they worked!!

So I’m having a last effort with the wrong region disc again - not far enough in to know yet - but wondering if anyone can suggest what’s wrong & what to do about it?

Oh, is it possible it’s the disc drive rather than the software? Because it’s been working fine, but occasionally it gets stuck closed & I have to tap the computer.

BTW, it again got stuck on that last disk I tried, but is successfully copying an American DVD I have…???

[QUOTE=loosie;2270541]I have been backing up a few DVDs, which I’ve done successfully, using DVD Fab Platinum 3.something. Then it asked me to upgrade to 5.2.5.0 which I did.

Then I had 2 DVDs with the wrong region code for my player, and a scratched one I wanted to copy & cut out the errors. Put one of the wrong region ones in first, copied it no problems - remarkably quicker with 5.2.5.0.

Then put the scratched one in. It started then after a bit said ‘errors detected - try again, ignore, ignore all?’ I pressed ignore all & it continued. When I got up in the morning it was still going! I cancelled it, thinking a glitch & started again. An hour later it was still going & I stopped it again, turned the whole program off & restarted. It wouldn’t even detect the disc this time. Opened & closed DVD draw, to no avail. Put in the other wrong region disc & it started, but then got stuck. Uninstalled & reinstalled the program, to no avail. Tried a couple of the other discs I did the other day & they worked!!

So I’m having a last effort with the wrong region disc again - not far enough in to know yet -[B] but wondering if anyone can suggest what’s wrong & what to do about it?[/B]

Oh, is it possible it’s the disc drive rather than the software? Because it’s been working fine, but occasionally it gets stuck closed & I have to tap the computer.[/QUOTE]

The first error you got was a Windows error - DVDFab, when you get a read error, simply ceases the read process, and you have to start again - the reason you had the program still running the next morning is likely due to dirt and grime on the DVD - I’d suggest a cleaning, but that won’t get rid of any scratches on the source disk (which will continue to cause you problems). It may also be a borderline bad pressing - not bad enough to stop playback, but bad enough to foil copying.

Solution: See if you can get that disk exchanged…if not, you may have to let it go as one that can’t be copied.

OC

:slight_smile:

Thanks for that. You think it’s definitely the DVDs not the hard-or software? The scratched DVD is old, so can’t exchange, but I thought DVD Fab was able to deal with scratches?

The second is a present DVD from O/S. It works to play back on my computer, is clean as new & no apparent scratches or anything…

[QUOTE=loosie;2272080]Thanks for that. You think it’s definitely the DVDs not the hard-or software? The scratched DVD is old, so can’t exchange, but I thought DVD Fab was able to deal with scratches?

The second is a present DVD from O/S. It works to play back on my computer, is clean as new & no apparent scratches or anything…[/QUOTE]

No, Fab can’t cope with scratches. I’ve seen some software that will read a disc, skip the scratched sections, and continue on, but most readers will simply stop reading at the point where they get too many internal data read errors.

Do I think it’s the DVDs?? there are other threads in here of a similar nature - yup… I [B]KNOW[/B] it’s the DVDs.

Look at it this way…if the software works on all your disks except a couple, then the ones that don’t work aren’t the software’s problem. It’s either the disk or the drive.

With regards to that other disk… the fact that it will play back is no guarantee it will copy…there are such things as marginally bad pressings that play OK, but seem to fox all the copiers.

If you’ve played with the settings and still had no luck, if you can, I’d try returning it for a new one.

OC

:slight_smile:

Can you suggest another program that might be able to do scratched discs and maybe the other for me? Pref. free or trial, as I’ve already purchased DVD Fab Platinum & find that great generally.

[QUOTE=loosie;2272660]Can you suggest another program that might be able to do scratched discs and maybe the other for me? Pref. free or trial, as I’ve already purchased DVD Fab Platinum & find that great generally.[/QUOTE]

There are other programs I could suggest… are you prepared for large gaps in your films that are scratched?

These programs, as I’ve said, skip the scratched areas… no data is read in… the program simply advances to the next area it can read, and continues. The amount of your film that will be missing from the back-up will be in direct proportion to the size of the scratch on the data surface. (This is, at least, a small improvement over most copying programs, which simply stop dead upon reaching an unreadable area of the disc).

Your other problem with this will involve whatever copy protection is on the disc. If the scratch occurs at the beginning of a VOB (the data file that contains the actual picture and sound), the key necessary for that VOB may be missed, and the whole 1 Gb file may be uncopyable…(about 20-30 min. approx missing out of your back-up).

That, and the fact that these types of programs can’t handle copy protection (and Fab won’t be able to remove it so you can use a program like that), and the ones I’ve seen aren’t freebies. They cost.

Now that I’ve thoroughly depressed you, there is a ray of hope.

There used to be a program called RipIt4Me, which incorporates DVD Decrypter into a front end GUI that can handle the ARccOS copy protection (unreadable sectors of a DVD)…and it’s a freebie, but even it can’t replace missing data from scratches…that area will simply be skipped, and remain missing.

You can Google it to find someone that has it, but be prepared to go on a serious learning curve re DVD structure and composition, as it isn’t really a program for beginners.

See the can of worms you opened deciding to copy DVDs?

OC

:bigsmile:

Thanks for that. Yep, I figured the scratched sections were irretrievable. That’s no worries, but the steep learning curve implies lots of time, which I don’t have, so will look up RipIt4Me… one day when I have some of that most precious commodity spare! <GG>