[HELP]4551@ Promise IDE-PCI ultra100tx2 problem

vbimport

Whatever burn softs and medias I tried, the burning speed was always at 0.1-1.3X and the CPU usage was between 80%~100%. And i’ve updated everything that could be updated: 80 ide cable, firmware, driver,etc. A full 4.7G burn costed me almost 45 mins.But to my surprise, the pipo test results of these burns are not too bad :confused:
Any ideas? :bow:

You cannot run burners, or any optical drives, on Promise or Highpoint IDE cards. They are locked in PIO transfer mode.

Some PCI cards work fine with opticals but others not. My SIL0680 based card is generally fine.

It’s quite usual to hang the IDE HDs off the PCI card & the opticals off the motherboard channels. Probably need to change the boot sequence to SCSI in this case.

Even that seems to be somewhat drive-specific.

The Promise card is great for HD, I’d move them to the card.

You cannot run burners, or any optical drives, on Promise or Highpoint IDE cards. They are locked in PIO transfer mode.

Not really, the burner works perfectly in nero speed “Transfer rate” .Up to 12x without any spindle down. That’s really weird -_-#

Perhaps it’s only locked in PIO mode when buring…

Promise Controllers are no-go with most of all ODD.
Use them for your harddisks, RAID etc.

Promise Controllers are no-go with most of all ODD.
Use them for your harddisks, RAID etc.

Thx. I got it, I’ll go for a silicon image one :slight_smile:

From my trials of finding a controller card to work with optical drives, what I found was:

1. Silicon Image 0680A NON-RAID works with LiteOn and LG brands in UDMA-4 and UDMA-2 modes, respectively. AOpen, BenQ, and NEC work only in Multimode DMA mode 2 only.

2. ITE 8212F RAID & NON-RAID don’t work period, since WXP Pro can’t even initialize/install them correctly.

3. Promise Ultra100TX2 doesn’t work with BenQ and NEC, didn’t try it with LiteOn or LG, probably wouldn’t try it either.

Check this post.

Hi,

At least Liteon DVD-ROM LTD-166s works fine on Promise 20579 (that is onboard non-RAID version of SATAII150 TX2plus). Also my LG 4163B worked as a reader, but writing failed.

Michael

Ditto on the SiI 0680A card… :frowning:

When I install new hardware on my Win Xp pro Sp2 it defaults to Bios managed tranfer rates for any attached drives/optical/hdd this works okay for some devices but not all that I have installed so have a look at your device manager.

I also have this controller. Never liked it. Bought it when I had a VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset for a K6-2 CPU, thinking that the onboard ATA33 would not fully utilize an ATA100 7200RPM drive I had. I was wrong. ATA33 was not much of a bottlenech since the average speed of that drive was quite less than that. Furthermore the crappy VIA chipet couldn’t utilize the full 133 MB/sec bandwidth of the PCI BUS. It wasn’t even close. Barely it could utilize 60MB/sec.

So basically, why do you need to use this controller? Do you have a very old computer that does not have an integrated ATA100 controller? Or do you use more than 4 IDE devices? If you just want to get rid of the master-slave bottleneck, I don’t think it worths it.

The time I was using this, I remember Promise said it would support ATAPI devices, provided that the Promise driver was loaded early during Windows startup. If there is a BIOS and/or driver update for the controller it might help.

Promise controllers should only used with what they were intended for: Harddisks/RAID.