Hello

vbimport

Hello all ,

i need a little help. I am looking to buy a new dvd dl drive.

my main use is going to be for doing data backups but i will also be doing the following things

audio ripping
audio burning
cd+g ripping
cd+g recording
what i would like to know is what would be the best drive and the most reliable seeing how i do a lot of burning.

thanks

Check out the CD And DVD Burners forum. I use Plextor, Pioneer, Samsumg, and BenQ. You may need two to accomplish your tasks. Depends on what you want to do.

[QUOTE=Badd;2072357]Hello all ,

i need a little help. I am looking to buy a new dvd dl drive.

my main use is going to be for doing data backups but i will also be doing the following things

audio ripping
audio burning
cd+g ripping
cd+g recording
what i would like to know is what would be the best drive and the most reliable seeing how i do a lot of burning.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I personally would go for a newer Samsung drive. Focussing on CD+G and audio here, I use a Samsung SH-S182D drive for both ripping and burning of CD+G, plus it’s great for audio burning (at 16x). It’s also a very good reader.

There are newer Samsung drives around though, and you don’t specify whether you have a PATA or SATA interface on your PC.

SH-S202x would be the newer PATA drive, while SH-S203x would be SATA. Others may be able to advise on other Samsung models, or models of other brands. :slight_smile:

I would like to also add Pioneer 215d to the mix … great ripper and burner … scanner NO !! the all in one as Arachne said Sammy 203x sata … ide Benq dw 1640 all around rip/burn/scan … oldie but a keeper …

i am not looking for speed i normally burn at 4x no matter what i am burning. i can go IDE or SAtA but i would rather go exturnal.

[QUOTE=Badd;2074437]i am not looking for speed i normally burn at 4x no matter what i am burning. i can go IDE or SAtA but i would rather go exturnal.[/QUOTE]

Sorry , not familiar with external drives but i’m sure a lot of people here are … someone can point you to the right burner .:slight_smile:

You won’t find many drives that burn CD-R at 4x, especially not modern drives with modern media. The same goes for modern 16x DVD media, although a few [very few] drives can handle underspeeding to 4x with good results.

I’m personally suggesting:

Samsung external 18x or 20x drives [good CD and DVD writing quality, generally]

Pioneer external 18x or 20x drives [good CD writing; generally really good DVD writing]. The exception is their 20x drive with LightScribe, the DVR-113/DVR-1910, which is an Asus rebadge and hasn’t been overly praised for its abilities [but is still decent].

If you go internal, the above, plus Optiarc 20x burners with model numbers beginning with AD-72xx [very good writing all around]. I’m not sure how many Optiarc drives may be found as external drives. But you might be able to buy an internal and an enclosure to make it external, which is not that difficult. :slight_smile:

Sony is currently rebadging Samsung drives, or using the drives from their joint venture with NEC [which is Optiarc, the same from above], so you won’t go bad there, either internal or external. In the Americas at least, the drives are rebadged Samsungs. I believe Europe mainly gets the Optiarcs.

As far as I know, Mad Dog is still rebadging Samsung drives for both internal and external drives.

Plextor’s new drives may be anything now, since they stopped making their own drives. But the PX-810 internal SATA drive is a Pioneer rebadge [albeit, an old one].

Others may chime in on what they feel is best. Each of the above has its strengths and weaknesses.