Hello to All :)-Copy & Encode Fine-Burn Fails

vbimport

Just thought I’d say “hi” to everyone. I have tinkered with computers for several years and I have not owned an OEM omputer in 6 or 7. Frankin-rigs all they way.

I use Pinnacle 8 to convert my home videos to DVD and enjoy BF2, COD, and the AOE lines of games.

Lately I have been intereted in backing up my movies since I have purchased several copies of my kids movies due to damage and mis-handling.

I have come to find making backups way to frustrating as I now have one copy of Gunner Palace and about thirty “coasters”. I think I saw an episode on HGTV where they used them for yard decorations??? Hmmmmmmm…

Don’t know where to begin as I have tried many things.

My friend has a Dell Dimension 2350 machine with an older NEC ND-1100A Buner (+R, 2.4x max) and used to burn movies regularly with different media (staples, verbatim). I buldozed thier computer with the OEM disks and got all the XP upgrades from MS. I installed the latest Bios from Dell. I also installed a HP 1040d (+/-R) DVD writer-keeping the NEC. Now the machine will not burn DVDs using the HP and burns unreadable disks (PC or DVD player) on the NEC. Burns audio CD’s fine.

Media tried: Memorex (+R), Sony (-R), Verbatim (+R). All single layer.
Speeds tried: 20,16,12,8,6,4,2.4 per Brand

Machine begins the burn then fails after 7-15%

Software used: DVD43 (ver. 4.2), 1click DVD copy (latest Ver), Nero Recode 7,

Movies are copied from the original disk fine, burning is what fails (HP/Lite-On) or bad disks in the case of the NEC.

I even cross branded the DVDwriter to a lite-on 20A1H…no luck.
New ASUS data cables, verified master/slave positions and jumpers.

I have the same HP DVD on my frankin-rig, burns converted home movies, data, and CDs great, but has only produced 1 copy of Gunner Palace and 10-20 coasters using the same media but only trying Nero software.

DMA on Frankin-rig(dual channel) is Ultra DMA-5 for the first Primary, PIO Only for the second Primary, The HDD on this machine is SATA. DMA for both listed secondary channels is DMA if Avaialble, Not Applicable

DMA for the Dell is Primary = DMA if Avail/ PIO Only, Secondary = DMA if Avail/ Ultra DMA 2 on 2 devices (the DVD writers I assume)

Are the DMA settings critical and why the difference between the two machines?? Both running XP.

Try burning your files with Imgburn, also try Fabdvdhd for ripping and dvd shrink to fit it on a sl disc, all these programs are free by the way.Welcome to the forum, post back on how you make out.

Could be several issues. Some programs (Nero for example), create a log file when a burn fails. The log will contain the error codes to determine what actually happened.

[QUOTE=GSXRman;2031058]
DMA on Frankin-rig(dual channel) is Ultra DMA-5 for the first Primary, PIO Only for the second Primary, The HDD on this machine is SATA. DMA for both listed secondary channels is DMA if Avaialble, Not Applicable

DMA for the Dell is Primary = DMA if Avail/ PIO Only, Secondary = DMA if Avail/ Ultra DMA 2 on 2 devices (the DVD writers I assume)

Are the DMA settings critical and why the difference between the two machines?? Both running XP.[/QUOTE]

The ones that have PIO Mode as the Current Transfer Mode are what I’d suspect to be the problem. :slight_smile:

See this post, and download and run the file there (resetdma.vbs) on each of the PC’s.

If the script finds any drives in PIO Mode, it’ll reset them to the correct DMA mode. You’ll have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Well, here is the update: Firstly, thanks you to all who helped out. I learned a few things during all this.

The Dell machine would not set the HDD to DMA, wound up using the registry edit trick to get it to reset the drive. The cross flashed Lite-On now burns both the Memorex and Verbatim (+R) fine. Just can’t go higher than X8 or the data rate is too fast for the older HDD and it resets to PIO (almost made it at x16, had 35 seconds remaining). The older NEC now burns at X2.0…so that machine is done.

I did find the HDD set to Cable Select, but still needed to use the regedit to get it off PIO.

Since I have a SATA HDD on my rig, I had the data cable plugged into the primary IDE for the DVD writer. I switched it to the secondary IDE channel and the DVD drive popped up as UDMA-2. The refrence to PIO on the primary IDE disappeared. Now my rig burns Verbatim (+R) and Sony (-R) at x16.

Once again, Thanks to All for the help.