Hello I'm New Here and trying to get shows off the dish 625 duel DVR

vbimport

Hello,

I have researched many sites on getting my shows off the dish 625 duel DVR in a usable form. What I found were all much older posts so am hoping to get more current info, ideally from anyone who has actually done this. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

ErrMe

I was waiting to see if anyone with experience using this dvr showed up, but apparently, you’re not going to get much of an answer.

Direct transfer isn’t likely, though in the past there was a program for reading the files directly off the hard drive, once you took it out of the dvr and put it into a computer. The file system on the drive is Linux based I believe, and probably encrypted. Dishrip was the program, but that was a long time ago…2003 or so, and doubt it still works.

You can always play the show and capture with a dvd recorder or with a capture card for your computer. Computer capture cards can be internal or usb based. This would be real time capture though…it will take a while if you have a lot of shows to save, and quality will not be as good as the files themselves.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Hi, thanks for your reply. I only wish I had given more thought and research to this issue while my Dish service was still active. :frowning:
In October my Dish commitment was up and my son had wanted the Sunday NFL ticket that wasn’t available from Dish. When he saw that Direct TV had the NFL and for [U]Free[/U] to new subscribers he jumped on it. I had plenty of time to record all my shows to DVD. There were several weeks of Dish to go before the switch to D-TV and had I known getting the files after the disconnect would be at issue of course I would have. Now I’m just feeling stupid and saddened, I had movies I really wanted and it looks as if there is a good chance they are lost to me.
OK, enough whining…:sad:
I do have both a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]DVD recorder[SIZE=2] [SIZE=3]and this EasyCAP USB 2.0 Audio/Video Capture/Surveillance Dongle[/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] thing you mentioned in your post but it seems it’s too late for them to be of much help. Thanks again for your input.

ErrrMe[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B]@Kerry [/B]

Here’s the manual for that model Kerry in case that might assist you advising on this.

I had a look at this yesterday but I’m not familiar with the Dish service and I’m not sure if the hard drive recordings are encrypted as they are with some European satellite systems.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I took a look at the manual & this is what I found:

1. Connect the receiver’s back panel audio/video outputs to the VCR’s audio/
    video inputs.
  2. Put a rewound tape into the VCR.
  3. Turn the VCR on.
  4. Press the remote control DVR button. This opens the DVR Events menu.
  5. Select an event on the DVR Events menu. This opens an information menu
    for that event.
  6. Start the VCR to record onto the tape.
  7. On the event’s information menu, select the Start option. The receiver
    begins to play back the event.
  8. When the play back is done, stop the VCR.
    I think you could use a DVD recorder instead of a VCR.
    The question is : Will a deactivated satellite receiver still do this ?
    I don’t know.
    I’ve read that the satellite companies like Dish don’t exactly use encryption but record in a “proprietary” format . This means it will only play back through their receiver . So connecting the harddrive directly to a computer doesn’t work.
    There may be some software that does allow the information to be retrieved by a computer but I don’t know what it would be.
    Finally don’t you have to return the receiver to Dish ?
    I thought that they were only leased to the customer & there was a large charge if not returned.

The direct approach is the best option and that is using a capture device on your PC. Once you have the material on your PC you then can manipulate however you wish.

Here is a link for some other approaches.

[B]Link: [/B]http://www.thisishowyoudoit.com/dvr-computer-record-transfer-movie-show/

:cool::cool:

Thanks Cholla,

[B]“The question is : Will a deactivated satellite receiver still do this ?
I don’t know.”[/B]

I’m going to hook it up to see and will post the results.
You are right about the need to return my receivers, the boxes from Dish arrived Friday and I have 10 days to get them sent back.

ErrMe

[B]Will a deactivated satellite receiver still do this ?[/B]

The answer is yes! Now I have more questions…
I read somewhere that on average each movie on DVR’s is about 1GB leaving me to believe I can get up to 4 on each DVD.
Now I see that the blank DVD R package says it has 120 minutes which is not enough room for even 1 movie.
Help, help…

ErrMe

The easy explanation is you control this with your speed setting for recording.
EP is 4 hour mode on most DVD recorders.
That would let you record maybe two movies .
This is still pretty good quality but you will have to be the judge on how it looks on your TV .
If you have a wide screen then 2 or 2 1/2 hour mode will be better for a single layer DVD. Which means one movie per single layer DVD .

Ah…
Again, I must confess my lack of knowledge regarding all things tech. The DVD-VCR recorder I’ll be using I borrowed from my brother.
He bought it for the sole purpose of recording his video cassettes onto DVD and it does not have a tuner. He gave me the instruction book but I’m not getting it even though there are clear diagrams of several hook ups but none that are made for what I’m wanting to do. I have the Dish DVR hooked up to the TV using just the HDMI cable. What I don’t know is if I should hook the recorder to the TV or to the Dish DVR. Initially I thought it would be the same as using my old VCR but it seems it must have had a tuner in it. I remember using only the VCR to control the TV which I just left on channel 3.
So my brain is stuck back in the old days and for all that’s newer I am very happy I found this site with knowledgeable people who take the time to give instruction and advice.to tech dummies like me, thank you. Meanwhile, I will continue reading the the manual.

ErrMe

I’m going to try to do a simple guide.
Not knowing the model of DVD-VCR recorder I’m guessing a bit.
On the back of it there should be at least composite connections:

If this is all besides an RF connector out which you don’t want to use.
Then following the color code of the cables.
Yellow(Video)
Red & White are Audio & should be marked R & L .
This should be what the outs on your Dish receiver look like.

From there connect to the same color in on the DVD-VCR recorder .

From the DVD-VCR recorder out connect to the TV in.
The only reason you need to be connected to the TV is so you can see what you are doing & test the new DVD you record.
How you connect to the TV depends on the outputs available on the DVD-VCR recorder & the inputs available on the TV .
Since the best the Dish reciever has for output is composite you should stay with that all the way if possible.

The manual posted doesn’t show a HDMI out on the Dish Reciever. It shows a USB jack but I couldn’t find anything on what it is for. It could be for in or out or both.
I hope this helps.

I have the same situation. Were you able to get it to work going directly from the Dish to a DVD/DVR?

I have Dish but got a reciever without the DVR.
I have DVD/DVR recorders I have the Dish reciever connected to them.
If I need to take something to the computer I just dub it to a DVD.
Like above there isn’t much of a way to get anything usable from the Dish DVR
because of the “proprietary” format .

After much connecting and reconnecting, due to a surround system and a modulator due to an older tv not high def we were able to get it connected. It was a pain but due to some beloved Packer and other programs well worth the hassle. Thanks for your help!