Hello I'm new can someone help me?

vbimport

Hello I’m new to CD freaks and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an E machines PC and I have been trying to burn movies to DVDs. I have downloaded numerous DVD burning software and found one that is very useful. I burned a movie that I downloaded to a blank DVD and played it on my computer to find out if it worked. The movie played on my computer. I then put the DVD into the DVD player (not the computer) and tried to play it. The words “unknown disc” came onscreen and the DVD wouldn’t even spin. So I put the DVD into the computer and once again it played. So I then put the DVD into the DVD player and once again it didn’t work.

So I got another blank disc, burned the movie to the disc, and played it on my computer. It worked. So I put the DVD into the DVD player and the words “unknown disc” came onscreen again. I made a call to someone and they told me that it was probably the DVDs that I was using (I was using DVD+R memorex). The person told me that some DVD players won’t play DVD+R and that I probably needed a DVD-R. So I bought a pack of memorex DVD-Rw. I repeated the actions that I took before, burned the movie to the disc, and played it on my computer. It worked. I put the DVD into the DVD player and the words “unknown disc” came onscreen. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I was wondering if anyone could help me. I would appreciate it.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The most probable cause is indeed the disc. Memorex is not exactly the best media available in the market, and indeed some standalone players are rather picky with media.

Try again with a quality disc like Verbatim, this should solve.

If you still have problems, to improve compatibility with the standalone player change the booktype of the +R disc to ROM (most burners allow this). Alternatively, try to use a -R disc, again a Verbatim to be sure that you are using a quality disc :slight_smile:

I agree with geno888 on choice of media. Another good thing to do is to slow the speed of the recording down to 1/2 the speed of the DVD. If you are using 8x burn at 4x.

I Thank both of you. The other thing I want you to know is that a friend of mine lent me a burned copy of
a movie and it was memorex (the design of the disc was different but the brand was memorex). It plays on my DVD player. So is there a reason why it would but the ones I have burned won’t.

You’re welcome :bigsmile:

Can I ask one more thing. I have burn aware free DVD burner and I can’t find out how to change the booktype of the -R disc to Rom. This burner doesn’t seem to have this feature. Do you know of a DVD burner which does have this feature and if so can you tell me?

Booktype can be changed only for [B]+[/B]R discs, not for -R media :slight_smile:

If it is a downloaded movie it is in .avi format,most likely. You have to format it to DVD standard. Computers will play avi movies but almost no stand alone DVD player will play them.

[QUOTE=geno888;2448388]Booktype can be changed only for [B]+[/B]R discs, not for -R media :)[/QUOTE]

Alright I’m gonna use the +R DVD and see if it works.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2448392]If it is a downloaded movie it is in .avi format,most likely. You to format it to DVD standard. Computers will play avi movies but almost no stand alone DVD player will play them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the movie is in AVI format. Do you know of a program that I can use to format it to dvd standard. Sorry for the hassle.

Try DVD Flick.

btw, if you have many movies to convert, it is easier to get a standalone capable to play also avi movies :slight_smile:

DVD Flick is a freebe. AVS is another but leave water marks all through the movie untill you pay for it. ConvertXto DVD is a good one but you have to pay for it. DON’T use DVD-RW for movies!

Slow typer I guess, Geno888 beat me to it.

I am in a posting frenzy today :bigsmile:

That’s good I’m sure you can handle this, so I’m going to slip out of here and go get my Flu shot. BYE ALL

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2448408]DVD Flick is a freebe. AVS is another but leave water marks all through the movie untill you pay for it. ConvertXto DVD is a good one but you have to pay for it. DON’T use DVD-RW for movies!

Slow typer I guess, Geno888 beat me to it.[/QUOTE]

I’m using +R for DVD flick. I guess there’s nothing for me to do but wait. But there is one more thing, on DVD flick it says select a pathway for the destination. (it wanted perferrably a hardrive) I typed on my hard drive and it said “the root of this drive can’t be installated”. Do you know where I’m supposed to put the destination of DVD flick.? Hopefully I didn’t do anything wrong because the disc is being encoded.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2448408]DVD Flick is a freebe. AVS is another but leave water marks all through the movie untill you pay for it.[/QUOTE]Interestingly, there is AVS advertising on DVD Flick project website. And a AVS related “Download” button on the download page :eek:

@uniform:
Just install the software in your Program Files folder. Normally this should be the default suggestion of the installer.

ses

Just create you a folder on your C:\ (root) name it DVD for example.
DVDFlick should have no problem using that.
ImgBurn can change the booktype for some drives.That would be on discs that can use booktype.

@Evil Seo Spammer: This is not the DVDFlick program files that are not working.It is the encoded DVD files that need a folder & not just the root of the HDD.
So you don’t have .vobs ,etc all over the place.

[QUOTE=cholla;2448447]
@Evil Seo Spammer: This is not the DVDFlick program files that are not working.It is the encoded DVD files that need a folder & not just the root of the HDD.
So you don’t have .vobs ,etc all over the place.[/QUOTE]Ah, ok. Indeed, storing user data directly on “C:” isn’t a good idea at all. :iagree:

ses

The alternative to DVDFlick is specifically AVStoDVD. It is easy to confuse it with some very poor programs that use AVS in their title. I actually prefer AVStoDVD over DVDFlick.

Here is the download for AVStoDVD. They just released a new version yesterday. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

I must have did it right because using DVD flick I was able to play the DVD in my DVD player. I just want to thank everybody for helping me. There’s just one more thing, I downloaded a movie that is in rapidshare 8 parts and I used bitzipper to extract the files and I couldn’t. Can you give me instructions (if I’m doing something wrong) or is there another program that could extract the files into a format (AVi for example). Thank you.