Hello and first help request

vbimport

As you can easily see, I’m a “brand new” user.
So, please excuse me if i should make any error.
I’m posting here because I’m not shure if my question is more pertaining to “HW” or “SW” section.

Preface…
Ive been asked to build an application that run a test set on a huge number of pressed CD-A before ripping them.
Specifically, they want to have the results of the following tests (referred to Optidrive Control definitions)
-DiscQuality (C1, C2)
-BLER (E11/E21… BLER)
-FE/TE

I need some help about tests.

1. I don’t still have bought a driver dedicated to test
  2. I don’t still have decided the software too use.

Using OptiDriveControl 1.70 I was able to programmatically set pathnames and otput filenames, so the user has only to run “multi-test” and wait for the completion of tasks.

According to ODC documentation (july 2012 update), only a few driver models support all of the test required: some old BENQ’s and some old Plextor’s.
Not having a Plextor drive, I wasn’t able to check if Plextools/Plexutilities are “friendly” to programmatical configuration.

Finally… the question(s)
Has someone tested OptiDrive with more recent drives or it actually works only with THAT old drives?
If OptiDrive doesn’t… which could be the better choice?

• Buy a couple of old PX-716 / Premium Plextor drive and going on on Optidrive path?
  • Buy a recent Plextor drive fully supported by PlexUtilities (and… in this case, which Plextor drives can support BLER, FE/TE and Disc Quality tests)?

[QUOTE=forytwo;2707390]
Finally… the question(s)
Has someone tested OptiDrive with more recent drives or it actually works only with THAT old drives?
If OptiDrive doesn’t… which could be the better choice?

• Buy a couple of old PX-716 / Premium Plextor drive and going on on Optidrive path?
  • Buy a recent Plextor drive fully supported by PlexUtilities (and… in this case, which Plextor drives can support BLER, FE/TE and Disc Quality tests)?[/QUOTE]

Yes ODC will work with most of the new liteon drives, but most of them arent very useful when ti comes to CD scanning, so you will be left with three options, NEC,BENQ and Plextor.
Nec drives are good CD scanners, but they dont report Jitter, so you will have to find a Plextor or a benq drive.

Not sure how much difference there will be from a LiteON and a Plextor drive, i am willing to bet that it will only be different in the firmware, so unfortunately you will have to find a true benq or a plextor drive to be able to do what you need.

[QUOTE=vroom;2707396]so unfortunately you will have to find a true benq or a plextor drive to be able to do what you need.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your quick reply :bow:

It’s not a problem to buy a brand new Plextor drive; consider that “huge number” means “some thousands”, so spending 50 Euros more or less it’s not the central point, even if will have to set up four workstations to distribute the tasks.

I actually need to be sure to find a CD driver that, in combination with ODC can run all of the required tests :slight_smile:

What about PX-891SA? It should be a Lite-On hias624b clone.

Some better suggestion?

Then your only options are the old benq drives and the old Plextor, and you should look into that direction, most new plextor drives are liteons, and i personally dont have much faith in their CD scanning ability.

Hi all, I’m a new user of myce. Please excuse me if I should make any error. The reason I’m posting here is because I’m not shure where I shall post my question.
The issue is that I bought a Sony Video8 Pro video-camera 25 years ago, and recorded more than 40 family videotapes (Sony P5-60MP) with it. Now I´m trying to pass all them –my own videotapes! – from that camera to my VAIO computer but after some minutes it appears a message telling that it is “protected against recording”, and recording stop. I´ve asked at Sony Custom Service here in Madrid (Spain) about this problem, but they didn´t give me any solution. I would welcome any suggestions anyone has. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I haven’t done what you are looking for but I did a search at club.myce & these came up. Maybe they will help.

http://club.myce.com/search.php?searchid=4585043

[QUOTE=JVidosa;2713204]Hi all, I’m a new user of myce. Please excuse me if I should make any error. The reason I’m posting here is because I’m not shure where I shall post my question.
The issue is that I bought a Sony Video8 Pro video-camera 25 years ago, and recorded more than 40 family videotapes (Sony P5-60MP) with it. Now I´m trying to pass all them –my own videotapes! – from that camera to my VAIO computer but after some minutes it appears a message telling that it is “protected against recording”, and recording stop. I´ve asked at Sony Custom Service here in Madrid (Spain) about this problem, but they didn´t give me any solution. I would welcome any suggestions anyone has. Thank you very much in advance for your help.[/QUOTE]

Trust Sony to be the ones to add a no copy flag to home videos.
I would suggest posting at the videohelp.com forums, as there are a lot more home video enthusiasts at that site than here.

Hi Cholla, thanks a lot for your advice. After my post I´ve tried to understand how such signal could be recorded in a video-tape and therefore I´ve started to record the video-tape some minutes after that point in which the message “protected against recording” appeared. And it worked! That means that the signal Sony, as well as other brands like TDK or Maxell, have put in their video-tapes - and probably in audio-tapes - are only of a certain lenght. Unfortunately it means that I´d loose some images of my kids but not all the rest of images. Anyway I´ll follow Kerry56 advice. I wish you Merry Xmas and a Great Year 2014!

Merry Christmas to you too JVidosa and welcome to the forums. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]