Hello All

I am new to the forum. I have recently been afflicted with this obsession of backing up by DVDs, moving my video to DVDs etc.

I have skimmed these forums and the amount of knowledge here is astounding.

I will start with basic questions, if someone has the time. I just got a replacement drive from Dell. Its a Sony/NEC AD-5170S.

I guess my only questions are:

1. Best media to use to avoid the coasters
  2. Should I adjust, mod or otherwise change my drive.

A lot of the things I have seen on the forums are pretty “tech” intensive. While I have 25 years in the computing/networking business, the specifics of how DVD and CD Drives work has not been my speciality.

If there are newbie guides of what to look for or maybe what the graphs mean associated with the specilized Flash Files located here… ect.

Any help, suggestions to a noob like me are appreciated. I hope, in time, I can help others.

Respectfully,

Mezzum

Welcome to the forums…
If you check the CD and DVD Burner forum, and search for your drive, you will find where folks have done numerous disk quality scans. This will give you a very good idea of which medias work well. You will also need to search to learn how to identify the media code for given media, by serial number, by where made, or by the appearance. Or, just buy verbatim and taiyo yuden, and you won’t have to worry.

There are many people who will tell you to flash new firmware to your drive. I have only flashed firmware onto 2 drives out of 6, over the years. Most of the time, it isn’t necessary. It all depends on what you are using it for.

You will avoid coasters by using good media, and burning just below their rated speed. IE: burn 16x verbatim at 12x.

As for guides, there are many of them, located throughout the forums here, and at doom9, and videohelp.com.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I have the same drive in my own Dell :)…it’s a good one.

The drive likes Verbatim discs, and DVD-R made by Taiyo Yuden (available online) the most, but mine will burn pretty much anything.

I flashed my own drive to the NEC/Optiarc 1.12 firmware (as opposed to the Dell firmware, which was 1.B1 or something), but as Rob says, most of the time it really isn’t necessary…I just didn’t fancy Dell’s firmware much LOL ;)…also, flashing to anything other than the Dell firmware would void any warranty.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. When I started this endeavor I failed to take into consideration storage of the DVDs. I have recently backed up all 7 Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (39 DVDs).

Anyone know of a good site for storage items, such as the Single Sleeve that holds 3 DVDs to Single Sleeves that hold 6 DVDs etc? I checked Ebay, there are some there, but sometimes my OCD gets in the way and I want them to look consistant.

Again, glad to be a part of the community, and I hope I can help others. As I stated, I do have 25 years in the computing/networking areas, I became disabled in 1999, when I had obtained most of the certifications out there as well I was an Instructor for almost every piece of software Microsoft Makes.

If anyone needs help in these areas please let me know…

Oh by the way, I was a professional Dog Trainer in the Navy for your Dog Troubles… he he…

Dang you must be an OF=old fart just like some of us here?

Supermediastore has some triple and sextuple cases: http://supermediastore.com/dvd-cases-dvd-case.html

We can use all the help we can get around here Mezzum. There is a separate software forum where you could be a big help.

Too bad you didn’t train cats…Arachne is a bit wild sometimes :slight_smile:

If you remember BBS’s on your 300 Baud modem, then your right with me. :eek:

[quote=Kerry56;2038763]Supermediastore has some triple and sextuple cases: http://supermediastore.com/dvd-cases-dvd-case.html

We can use all the help we can get around here Mezzum. There is a separate software forum where you could be a big help.

Too bad you didn’t train cats…Arachne is a bit wild sometimes :)[/quote]

Thanks for the link, and I will check out the other areas of the forum.

Cats CAN be trained, it just takes A LOT of patience. Its all about their attention span. They have the attention span of a 2 year old. 20 seconds, and they have moved on.

The simple method is a spray bottle of water. Put them all over your home. Everytime your cat does something wrong, a quick squirt usually gets their attention, and best of all, they don’t BLAME YOU for the correction because they have no idea where the water came from, they just associate it with the action, but ya gotta catch them quick, I mean within 2 to 3 seconds of the behavior or your too late.

Hope that helps!!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2038763]

Too bad you didn’t train cats…Arachne is a bit wild sometimes :)[/QUOTE]

I agree, you’ll fit in well here, Mezzum :wink:

But keep away from me with that spray bottle :wink:

Attention span of a 2yr old! He he, Arachne is going to love that. :):slight_smile:

Oh man, do I wish I could find an emoticon in the shape of a spray bottle…that would come in handy in the chat box! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2038776]Attention span of a 2yr old! He he, Arachne is going to love that. :):slight_smile:

Oh man, do I wish I could find an emoticon in the shape of a spray bottle…that would come in handy in the chat box! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Oh, I blame you. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: