Helium² Beta 1 released (an MP3 management system)

vbimport

I just posted the article Helium² Beta 1 released (an MP3 management system).

A person called Jansemanden was so friendly to use our newssubmit to tell us about a program called Helium 2. It is an MP3 management system to catalog your mp3 files.

Helium² supports…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2434-Helium-Beta-1-released-an-MP3-management-system.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2434-Helium-Beta-1-released-an-MP3-management-system.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I was searching for a good id3 tag editor a while ago, but couldn’t find one that had all the features I wanted. I also tried Helium, which seemed to have more fancy graphics than ease-of-use. Still, it seemed like one of the better ones out there. Does anyone know of an ID3 editor that functions in a similar way to Windows Media Player 7? One feature I like is the ability to allow the selection of a bunch of mp3s and change only their album name/genre quickly (instead of individually).

You can do that with helium 2. Just select all the files you what to chance the tag on and use the “dynamic tag editor”

I just thought that I would add that this program is not only a management system to catalog your mp3 files, but also a very fine mp3 tagger.

Dear NickStar, I wonder if you are talking about Helium²? Since Helium² doesn’t contain any special “fancy” graphics, like the old Helium 1 did. Helium² is designed to be easy-to use. We have concentrated in getting the UI much more user friendly, and to have all the tools more easily accessible. As mentioned before, I don’t know if you have tried Helium², because Helium² will let you batch change just specific fields like album/genre/title/artist etc. without the need to type the information more than once. Best regards, Mikael Stalvik -Helium² Lead Programmer

Try ID3master, you can get it at http://id3master.mute.cz This is a very small, yet very handy prog. Been using this one for a long while now. Only thing is that it doesn’t support the new v2.0 tags…

Mikael, you’re right, I was experimenting with Helium 1 and not the latest version. I had amassed a large collection of mp3s by the time Napster got crappy and wanted to manage all the id3 tags efficiently. I’ll give Helium 2 a try. Thanks for replying. Not supporting the v2.0 tags pretty much cancels ID3master as an option for me. Thanks anyway, Whispers.

Helium’s GUI is very nice and it offers some nice features. However, your frequency and depth of use verses the cost of such programs should be the first considerations before making an investment. In other words, if you have an 'extremely large" and rapidly growing MP3 collection that you regularly use and it also requires frequent updating of tag data, than paying $35.00 US for a combo MP3 tag editor and database may be justifiable. On the other hand, for the average MP3 collector, once you have updated tag data and cataloged your collection, how often thereafter will you use the program? To that point, you may be better off using a 'quality" freeware or lower cost program that does same job (or more) with your collection when compared to the more expensive MP3 management programs. Here are some MP3 management programs you folks should consider checking out: MPEG Audio Collection v2.82 (FREEWARE) http://www.jfaul.de/ This is one of favorite programs that come with features you would not expect in a freeware MP3 management program: - Scans HHD and CD’s for your favorite audio file formats: MPEG audio, MPEGplus, WAV PCM, TwinVQ and Ogg Vorbis - Shows size, length, bitrate, sample rate, mode, version and layer info of files - Shows ID3-tag data versions 1.1, 2.3 and 2.4 - Shows details of collection, volume and folder - Search collection by name, property, ID3-tag or for duplicate files - Save search results in text (.txt) document - Play file(s) with associated (or default) application - Create playlists (.m3u) - Built-in ID3-tag editor (ID3-tags version 1.1 only) - Supports Xing VBR (variable bitrate) - Auto open last collection option - Import (or merge) collection(s) - Supports large collections - Update volumes (hard disk and floppy formatted CD-RW only) - Generate collection reports in TXT, HTML or DIF - Multilingual user interface (24 languages currently supported) - Print CD jewel case covers - File renamer MAC has a cool interface, is it very easy to use and has a detailed help file. MP3-Info Extension v3.3b17 (FREEWARE) http://www.mutschler.de/mp3ext/ This is another one of my favorites. MP3ext adds a new tab to the Properties dialog that allows you update tag data for a single or batch MP3 files. It also comes with some nice features too, e.g., after updating tag data, it automatically adds ID3v2 data if none exist. - Multithreaded - Easy to use GUI - Editing of multiple files - ID3v2 support: this includes unlimited strings, classic support, etc. - Automatic generation of the ID3-tag from the filename - Exporting the information in a file or clipboard - Customizable Tooltips Tag&Rename v1.96 (Shareware '“ $24.95 US) http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm This one is a feature-rich MP3 and VQF tag editor - Rename music files - Multi-file or manual tag editors: edit tags for multiple or single files, fill-in tag fields using file name. - Support both ID3v1 and ID3v2 mp3 tags. - Convert ID3v1.1 to ID3v2 tags for all files with one click! - Export to CSV wizard can export your music info into any database. - CDDB1 support - UPPERCASE, lowercase or Capitalize First Letter - Swap ID3 tag fields - Play music files - Explorer shell extensions - Multi-language support Fusion Band XP v1.2 (FREEWARE) http://ganymede.spaceports.com/~transpea/ This one is off-topic but comes in handy to quickly access your MP3 and other files.

I don’t really agree with you eljay. The main idea with Helium² is that you should store your MP3’s in Helium’s database. When you have your entire collection stored and tagged in the database, you are able to do searches for specific tracks, making it easy to locate track that you have no idea at all where they are stored. Helium offers database support for both available files (=on HD or in inserted CD), and for MP3 files stored on CD’s. It’s very ideal for me, which has about 55Gb MP3 on my HD, and 87 CD’s with MP3. If I would like to locate a specific track, or all tracks from a specific artist, I can easily query the database, and almost immideately play/create playlists etc. of my search results. Helium also offers you to catalogize your CD-Audio’s in the same way. So, my point is that if you have much MP3, then you WILL use the program to access your collection. The program is not just a “simple, dumb” tagger tool that will help you tag your files, it will help you organize and manage your entierly collection. Regards, Mikael Stalvik -Helium² Lead Developer

To Michael and whomever else that cares about this issue. Let me make one thing perfectly clear! I am not trying to put down Helium². As I said, I think you have a nice program. I can understand your reaction to my post because you are trying to sell your product. However, that does not negate the fact other comparable program exist that are free or less expensive. The price tag of $35.00 US for your advanced version in my opinion is a bit steep, especially considering all the alternative programs on the market! MPEG Audio Collection (MAC) does almost everything that Helium² does and it is FREE. You may want to check out this freeware competitor for yourself. I am not associated with MAC in anyway. I am merely a stanch and happy user of this freeware product. The following is my response to your post point-by-point: 'I don’t really agree with you eljay." Response: Of you wouldn’t, you’re selling your product. 'The main idea with Helium² is that you should store your MP3’s in Helium’s database. When you have your entire collection stored and tagged in the database, you are able to do searches for specific tracks, making it easy to locate track that you have no idea at all where they are stored." Response: You can do the same with MPEG Audio Collection. 'Helium offers database support for both available files (=on HD or in inserted CD), and for MP3 files stored on CD’s. It’s very ideal for me, which has about 55Gb MP3 on my HD, and 87 CD’s with MP3. If I would like to locate a specific track, or all tracks from a specific artist, I can easily query the database, and almost immideately play/create playlists etc. of my search results." Response: This sounds almost the same as your previous paragraph… Again, you can do the same with MPEG Audio Collection. 'Helium also offers you to catalogize your CD-Audio’s in the same way." Response: Again, you can do the same with MPEG Audio Collection. 'So, my point is that if you have much MP3, then you WILL use the program to access your collection. The program is not just a “simple, dumb” tagger tool that will help you tag your files, it will help you organize and manage your entierly collection." Response: Obviously, you did not read the above feature list for MPEG Audio Collection (MAC). MAC is a ID3 tag and collection management tool that supports MPEG audio, MPEGplus, WAV PCM, TwinVQ and Ogg Vorbis. Again, IT IS FREE! 'Regards, Mikael Stalvik -Helium² Lead Developer" Response: Best of luck to you and Helium² Eljay - Avid and Enthusiastic Fan/User of MPEG Audio Collection and Chief Consultant of The LFX Sales and Marketing Group

Dear eljay, I wasn’t trying to marketing Helium² (oh, well maybe a little :)). The point that I was most “upset” about was that you said that “On the other hand, for the average MP3 collector, once you have updated tag data and cataloged your collection, how often thereafter will you use the program?”. MAC suerly looks good, as well as other MP3 catalogers around. I guess it’s up to the users what they wan’t. If they would like easy, but powerful database catalogizing, I would really like to recommend Helium, since it supports both reading and writing of ID3v2, which is rather neccesary when you collect your files in a DB (IMHO). Ok, all for now. No hard feelings :slight_smile:

I didn’t have any hard feeling about your comments. You are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. Again, you have a good product and I wish you the best of success. Peace, eljay

The one I personally use is: mp3-explorer and it’s shareware. It’s quite nice and pretty well coded (IE small file size). It lacks some power features though so I might make my own one at some point. If I do I’ll be back here asking for features that you guys all want in one :).

what is a good program that handles both MP3s and Audio CDS .cda.

Here’s the reason why I won’t use MPEG Audio Collection: “ID3-tag editor (ID3-tags version 1.1 only)”. You also can’t see the genre of any mp3 songs in the main window. A pity :c

Personally I agree with eljay, I have used all the above and the programs eljay mentioned are all quality stuff, and CHEAPER. peace :7

This my last words on this subject. The intent of my post was to raise awareness and increased dialog about alternative MP3 management tools that are either free or inexpensive. . . Mission accomplished. There is no program that is a 'do all" or 'satisfy all" in my opinion. Every software program has its limitations. This typically forces one to use an alternate program to compensate for those limitations. MPEG Audio Collection is a very stable application that is primarily a powerful MPEG cataloger/database with a strong built-in search engine, which happens to include other useful features to help one manage their MP3 collection. So what that it does not have ID3v2 tagging capability or genre field (yet). In the scheme of things, these are only minor shortcomings compared to the program’s overall usability and stability. What more can you expect in a quality FREEWARE program? Okay, that’s all from me. Peace and Prosperity to All! eljay

>what is a good program that handles both MP3s and Audio CDS .cda. Answer: Helium 2!!