Heatsink Compounds!

With my 3yr PC upgrade/replacement cycle heading towards that time again, I’ve found an interesting little detail …

Has anyone tried the “Innovation Cooling” “Diamond 7” heatsink compound?

Lots of overclock nerds are suggesting that it’s much better than Arctic Silver 5, which I currently have enough to do another 50 CPU’s … but others are suggesting the difference is little.

It has … real diamond dust mixed in, and the apparent heat transmittal is approximately 4-5 times that of silver.

Any comments? Anyone tried it? Results?

Hmm, put me in the camp that thinks it wouldn’t be much better than AS5, all the good compounds seem to be within a few degrees of each other.

Now, if some company were to mix cat litter with toothpaste and come up with a compound… that would truly be innovative.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=nrbfpSZTwskC&pg=RA1-PA20&lpg=RA1-PA20&dq=heat+conductivity+diamon+silver&source=bl&ots=kRfdPrnRq4&sig=hPtw9iJLrdylYT2EquDqGasPufA&hl=en&ei=g3V6StL0PIvU6gP_ycxW&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Heat Conductivity:
Diamond -> 2300W/m^2.degC
Silver -> 429W/m^2 .degC

And diamond doesn’t conduct electricity either … so less chance of shorting out something on the motherboard with a careless glob of compound :wink:

I wish I had a diamond suit … not for the mardi gras either … just for the thermal conductivity … I’m overheating here!

No arguments from me on the thermals, but we aren’t really talking about a space shuttle burning through the atmosphere. /snicker

You and I both know the real key is contact surface, the compound is secondary. And sure, improperly applied AS5 can blow shit up, but I know you have far too much intelligence to ever allow such a thing to occur.

[QUOTE=debro;2416785]
Diamond -> 2300W/m^2.degC
Silver -> 429W/m^2 .degC[/quote] A square meter diamond! Awesome! :slight_smile:

And diamond doesn’t conduct electricity either … so less chance of shorting out something on the motherboard with a careless glob of compound :wink:
Riiight…

I wish I had a diamond suit … not for the mardi gras either … just for the thermal conductivity … I’m overheating here!
Just wear a lot of white colored clothes when in the sun. It’ll reflect more than other colored clothing. Can apply for your rooftop as well. Painting your house white will save the airco bills.

Here’s some more info regarding cooling capabilities.

If anyone really wants to reduce CPU temps they should lap the CPU and heat sink. This allows for much better thermal conductivity between the pieces by increasing the metal to metal contact area. It also get the CPU past the metal plating and down to the copper substrate that makes up the cap.

I did this on my E6700 CPU and a cheap $10 Masscool heat sink and fan and dropped the core temps by 5C under 100% load.

Don’t bother, it’ll give you ~3C tops…
Just use the pad that’s supplied.
//Danne

I’m using Diamond 7, and I can concur that its not really worth it. For me I was pushing my naked E7200 (IHS removed) to the max and wanted to cool it as much as possible.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2417021]Don’t bother, it’ll give you ~3C tops…
Just use the pad that’s supplied.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

DiiZzy. if you were referring to my post, lapping got me 5C drops on both cores. For $12 worth of sand paper and an hour and a half of my time, I would say it was well worth it.