Hearing experts say 3 in 4 music lovers risk ear damage by 30

I just posted the article Hearing experts say 3 in 4 music lovers risk ear damage by 30.

While most consumers may  be aware that playing music too loud can affect their hearing over time,  this is becoming quite a serious problem with the young  generation. ...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10980-Hearing-experts-say-3-in-4-music-lovers-risk-ear-damage-by-30.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10980-Hearing-experts-say-3-in-4-music-lovers-risk-ear-damage-by-30.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

yah well i lost a little hearing when I was 18. Soundgarden at the pne forum in vancouver, and metallica at the molson amphitheatre in toronto. I use earplugs at all shows now, missing some hearing at high frequencies, but the rest of my hearing isn’t to bad. Glad i started wearing plugs when I did. I think some of the problem with portable devices, is the earbuds or cheap headphones don’t have a nice crisp clear sound, so you tend to turn it up just to try and hear it properly. Put on a big set of seinnheiser stereo headphones, and you don’t have to turn it up as loud, to hear it good. Maybe someone could help improve portable headphone technology.

The artificial limitation on maximum volume on these devices is quite irritating. This is because the combination of MP3’s and headphones have no fixed “constant” volume level. I have some MP3’s that were encoded at MUCH lower levels than other. Additionally, my nice big, comfortable, padded ear phones require significantly more current to get the same effective volume level as a pair of earbuds would. Thankfully, because of the padding and design, they block out most external noises much better and I do not have to turn them up as loud in the first place. That said, there is no reasonable way that a fixed volume level for devices such as these can be mandated – and should not. Yes, if someone listens to music too loud, you may go deaf. Personally, thats their problem, not mine. Let’s hear it for personal responsibility – you do something stupid, you suffer the consequences. I rank this right up there with mandating that people wear seatbelts when driving and with forcing cyclists to wear helmets. The only person they are endangering is themselves and I feel that they have the right to do so. It’s basically self-limiting behavior anyway – and helps remove idiots from the the gene pool.

What? :+

“Can you hear me now?”

Hey, I can hear when a TV is on too, and from another room usually as well! Of course to hear that certain noise, it can’t be on any channel, or the volume has to be all the way down.

Funny thing is I’m sure the French Government passed laws setting an upper limit in Decibels, for personal stereos etc. This was done quite a few years ago… This was because they were concerned about this very subject!
[edited by merlin100 on 11.10.2005 12:07]

its a sad thing but true, and you dont see it comming till it happens. I lost a little bit…hearing metalica on the discman too. Now when i see somebody on the subway with full volume on his ears(even the people that is near him can hear the music) i just say…poor guy. but you will loose too in nightclubs, hering dance music

HA I have the same thing. People are astonished that I know the tv is on just by hearing the radiation it emits. I can hear that but yet I have problems with people talking and background noise. I hear it’s the first thing you lose in hearing loss. In a club I have to have the person almost talking into my ear just to understand them.

OMG I was going to post the same comment. :slight_smile:

Yes I agree, the devices are too loud at times, and it is sad when you can see someone 10 feet away froim you and you can hear their music still. I can hear a tv that is on as well, but not as far as I used to be able to. Used to be able to hear it when I walked into the house, now I gotta be at the bottom of the stairs to hear it. Still a good 20 feet away, but not the 50 or so I used to hear. It is also why I got rid of my 155db stereo. I weas concerened with hearing loss.

eh? what? (38 in a week…) The only thing that bothers me about max volume on my MP3 player is that it’s not high enough for my purposes. I can believe that when I’m mowing the lawn and can barely hear the player it’s the fault of my earphones (the buds I’m using are lower volume than the ones I replaced), but when I have my player connected to an FM transmitter in the car and I have to crank the player up to 25 (out of 30) for the stereo to receive it loud enough that I don’t have to crank up the radio’s volume there is something wrong with that limit. To my credit, I realized as a teen I was listening to stuff too loud and have made an effort to lower the volume under normal circumstances, and at work I have the amp on my phone lower than most people.
[edited by themushroom on 11.10.2005 22:00]

Ho, ho, man this is old news, I recall at the height of the both disco and walkman era’s this very same warning emerged. Good thing we all don’t use at Jack Hammer at work, or work at the local jetport, as a ground towman for a living! Oh well, nothing like a rehash of old information! :S

i think this is very true story; i just had health check up & i was suprised to see my hearing was lost considerably compare to 3 years ago when i had my health check up. the doc told me that my hearing wasn’t that bad but he suggested me to volume down. most significant loss was the high pitched ones. i am trying to minimize as much as possible ;)…the doc also told me that it is normal for us to adjust the level of loud sound meaning when we hear loud sound long enough it would sound not as loud as it was

come again!!

Simply buying a DB meter from Radio Shack allowed me to realize how loud some sounds actually are… my riding lawnmower measured almost 100db’s. Time for the ear plugs. An electric hair dryer is even louder. To the poster who got rid of his 155db stereo…good for you. Or you could have just kept it at a lower volumn. However; consider this. If you had very very sensitive speakers, say 100db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter …and it takes doubling the power for each 3db increase in sound you would have to have an amp producing 212,144 watts to reach a 155db sound pressure level. Wow. Just seconds at 155db can cause instant and complete deafness, or at least severe hearing loss considering time spent at that level. Back to my main point …a DB meter is handy to have around to measure just how loud the sounds are to your ears.

Are you sure it is related to hearing los? I have trouble myself with background noise/music. I thought it was related because of good hearing. (noise will be louder to). i automatically seem to focus to the music. So birtdays with loud music do disturb me really. Can’t focus on the conversations.

My cube neighbor listens to her ipod so loud that I can hear it (clearly enough to name the song) over my own ipod. Makes for an interesting effect sometimes.

I have that in the train sometimes. Sydneys trains are old rattlers which you need to turn your player up to hear over the noise … but being able to hear someone elses player over your own, and the trains noise suggest downright stupidity! But then again, like the author, I can hear the TV ringing in the other rooms of the house too. Don’t get me started about adapters/chargers / etc ringing all day.