Headphone Amplifier

vbimport

Hello,

My problem is that I cannot listen to anything with my headphone when it plugged to line-out line of my integrated sound card (AC-97). This also is valid for my headphone jack of my logitech speaker. neither seem to can amplify the signal level. So the sound level is quite annoying. I have examined various headphones, earphones,… but with no success while they perform excellent when connected to a dedicated media player.

What can I do whit my PC? Does professional sound cards (like Creative models) amplify the signal level for a headphone jack?

Regards, Arsha

Double and triple check your settings before you spend any money on a new sound card…I’ve yet to see an integrated sound system that wasn’t capable of driving external powered speakers or headphones to extreme levels…

Hello pipemanid,

My speaker works quite well, it’s a Logitech x230 (2.1) , but my problem is about headphones. The headphone jack on my speaker is essentially the line-out of my integrated sound system. So I cannot use any headphone with my PC. I have examined every settings you would imagine…

Is there any headphone that can amplify the sound as well?

Thanks, Arsha

I just checked the owners manual for the speakers and other than the speakers or the headphones being defective, I can’t imagine what the problem might be…Have you tried plugging the headphones directly into the green line out connection on the computer to verify they work correctly?
If they work properly then. you might want to get a ‘Y’ adapter to supply the signal to both of them concurrently…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2482726]Have you tried plugging the headphones directly into the green line out connection on the computer to verify they work correctly?[/QUOTE]

Thanks pipemanid

Yes. as I mentioned (probably I cannot express myself properly) it works but the sound is not well amplified and ia quite annoying. I mostly try it along with a heavy Bass equilizer to minimize that effect. But the sound gets distorted though. Notice that the headphone jack of the speaker bypasses the amplifier wich is located I think in subwoofer. I can listen with headphones even when my speaker is turned off!

Just curious, but which headphones are you using? I’d like to check the specs on them for curiosities sake…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2482738]Just curious, but which headphones are you using? I’d like to check the specs on them for curiosities sake…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying

There are many. This is one: SONY MDR-ED71v (earphone)

Type:open,air, dynamic/driver units: 16 mm, dome type/ power handling capacity: 50mW / impedence: 16 ohm at 1khz / sensitivity: 108 db/mW /FR: 10-23000 hz / cord: 1.2 m (47 in.)

As I said before my headphones act normally when plugged to other devices like music players except for my PC line-out.

108 db/mW is pretty damn efficient…I can’t imagine that you couldn’t get adequate volume out of them directly hooked up to a sound card…Distortion might be a problem with even a moderately high output level…
EDIT:
16 Ohm impedance shouldn’t be causing a problem either…:confused:

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2482773]108 db/mW is pretty damn efficient…I can’t imagine that you couldn’t get adequate volume out of them directly hooked up to a sound card…Distortion might be a problem with even a moderately high output level…
EDIT:
16 Ohm impedance shouldn’t be causing a problem either…:confused:[/QUOTE]

Ye I knew… distortion is not present until i change the equilizer to output a big Bass effect, and that’s just because without that the sound is terribly annoying. Imagine while my earphone is also a Bass Booster… (actually volume is adequate but has not any bass, it’s very different than convential music players)

So in summary:

1. My speaker works quite well with my integrated Realtek sound chipset.

2. My headphone woks well in every condition except with the line-out.

3. I haven’t tried any other speakers to test with except a very cheap one which I also had problem with that (It sounded that it cannot amplify the signal very well - like my headphones). I thought it’s the speaker so I changed that.
    (actually I broke it apart :slight_smile: )

4. I also have tested my speaker with a more advanced Realtek chipset from another PC, My integrated sound won the match. I felt that advanced Realtek from another PC cannot provide adequate volume. amazing.

You might be better off trying an addin sound card, but I have my doubts that it will work any better than the Realtek …
Let me know if you decide to go that route and maybe we’ll both learn something here…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2482797]You might be better off trying an addin sound card, but I have my doubts that it will work any better than the Realtek …
Let me know if you decide to go that route and maybe we’ll both learn something here…[/QUOTE]

Thanks pipemanid

But i cannot afford that right now, maybe later. I seldom use the headphones on my PC. My bucks is for my new digital camera that will be cost a little more than $700…

Sorry I couldn’t have been more help, but at least you will still have a working camera…:smiley: