Hdvd-9?

vbimport

Newbie here. I’m confused as to what this format really is, and whether or not it will play on a US DVD player. I dabble with old TV shows mostly, and my tools of the trade are DVD Shrink and Nero with a little DVD Decrypter as needed. When I look at the format/player listings I don’t see HDVD9. When I google, I get mostly articles in Chinese.

The reason I want to know is I’ve come across a chinese dealer offering some shows in this format that I haven’t found a good source for otherwise.

Any info or pointers appreciated.

[QUOTE=samsmoore;2035746]Newbie here. I’m confused as to what this format really is, and whether or not it will play on a US DVD player. I dabble with old TV shows mostly, and my tools of the trade are DVD Shrink and Nero with a little DVD Decrypter as needed. When I look at the format/player listings I don’t see HDVD9. When I google, I get mostly articles in Chinese.

The reason I want to know is I’ve come across a chinese dealer offering some shows in this format that I haven’t found a good source for otherwise.

Any info or pointers appreciated.[/QUOTE]

What is the link you used? That might be helpful so other can see what they are offering. Also I am only familiar with DVD5, DVD9, HD DVD (now phasing out), BD…oh also they have VCD…but mostly common is DVD5, DVD9, BD now. I be very suspicious of what they are talking about your best staying with known media formats. Otherwise you be wasting your money for formats you can’t play on your burner or standalone. I myself never read or heard of HDVD9 format??? As stated there is DVD9, and outdated HDDVD where they got HDVD9 is a lost to me…

So I’m not nuts. I am guessing the guy must mean regular dvd-9. (His first language is not English.) BUT! I don’t see that on the compatibility chart either. There’s no other info, and I was just trying to get some background before I contacted him. It would be nice if they played on a player, but I can convert them if they don’t if they’re true dvd-9.

[QUOTE=samsmoore;2035787]So I’m not nuts. I am guessing the guy must mean regular dvd-9. (His first language is not English.) BUT! I don’t see that on the compatibility chart either. There’s no other info, and I was just trying to get some background before I contacted him. It would be nice if they played on a player, but I can convert them if they don’t if they’re true dvd-9.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to but you have to make sure your player is either Pal or NTSC or both…to convert you will need the software they have free and paid version to use.

You mean DVD9, which is Dual/DoubleLayer DVD. SingleLayer is DVD5. Other formats are DVD10 and DVD18.
Don’t mix them up with HD-DVD, which is there as HDDVD15 (SL) and HDDVD30 (DL). :wink:

“HDVD9” probably mean HD content (BD/HDDVD/mkv/xvid/H.264) authored and burned to a DVD9. WinOnCD10 is able to do that, AFAIK.